iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2017, 07:25:31 PM
This rain is dealing us in the South much misery.  Maybe I shoulda stayed in Michigan or Maine??

The forecast for the next 10 days shows rain following the temperature swing each day !!   There will be no sawing.   :-\

So what are you saying Lynn.... You didn't like Dela"Where"? You could have hung out here and explored Assawoman Bay. (I know your curious..)  :D

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 09, 2017, 09:27:44 PM
Im assuming all that beautiful outside grain is not to punky.
Thats some purdy stuff!
I got lucky, the boards are solid and sound.  No punk or rot, sometimes things work out.  Let's see, I'm thinking $299.99
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

50 Acre Jim

Cut a couple of hundred BF of Hemlock for baseboard in a house I'm rehabbing.   The last piece is always going to be 2" thick so I end up with a 2" X something.  At first, this irritated me and I used all kinds of methods to shim the cant up to where I could cut what I wanted.  But it never came out right, always cut wavey or out of whack somehow.  But as time goes on I'm becoming OK with this as I'm getting a nice stockpile of 2"X6" or 2"X8", etc. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

btulloh

HM126

Magicman

When sawing a cut list, I ask the customer if he wants any thicker boards for unusual projects.  Most of the time they do and are appreciative for the suggestion. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on August 12, 2017, 06:48:50 PM
Cut a couple of hundred BF of Hemlock for baseboard in a house I'm rehabbing.   The last piece is always going to be 2" thick so I end up with a 2" X something.  At first, this irritated me and I used all kinds of methods to shim the cant up to where I could cut what I wanted.  But it never came out right, always cut wavey or out of whack somehow.  But as time goes on I'm becoming OK with this as I'm getting a nice stockpile of 2"X6" or 2"X8", etc.

Won't your mill cut to 1" of the rails?

Magicman

Older Wood-Mizer sawmills were restricted by design to a couple of inches on the "dog" board. 

This was later changed and they will now saw to 1" or a bit lower/thinner. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SlowJoeCrow

I see, though I thought Jim was using a new Norwood HD36 which will definitely cut to an inch on the last board.

mad murdock

Cut some redwood up for a friend this Saturday. Got about 1200 bd ft + out of 2 logs. Nice stuff!!

Redwood I think is more fun than cedar!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Good looking Redwood, and something that I will never have an opportunity to saw. 

Magicman

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on August 14, 2017, 11:29:42 AM
I see, though I thought Jim was using a new Norwood HD36 which will definitely cut to an inch on the last board.
Which is why adding our sawmill Brand and Model# to our profile helps with question answering and comments.

grouch

Quote from: Magicman on August 14, 2017, 01:48:26 PM
Good looking Redwood, and something that I will never have an opportunity to saw.

The world needs a FFLEA - Forestry Forum Log Exchange & Acquisition program. UPS (or mobile millers) could be hopping and leap-frogging small logs all over the country to alleviate that lack of opportunity.
Find something to do that interests you.

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on August 14, 2017, 08:21:40 AM
Won't your mill cut to 1" of the rails?
Yeah, it probably would if I could find a way to clamp that last board to the bunks.  Haven't been successful with that yet so I'm settling for a 2"X something. 

Quote from: Magicman on August 14, 2017, 01:51:21 PM
Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on August 14, 2017, 11:29:42 AM
Which is why adding our sawmill Brand and Model# to our profile helps with question answering and comments.
OK, added it.  Sorry guys. 

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

mad murdock

Quote from: grouch on August 14, 2017, 03:38:44 PM

The world needs a FFLEA - Forestry Forum Log Exchange & Acquisition program. UPS (or mobile millers) could be hopping and leap-frogging small logs all over the country to alleviate that lack of opportunity.
That is a skookum idea grouch! Maybe with the FF transport board, if someone is deadheading somewhere, a log of 2 could tag along for the ride and make it happen? Stranger things have happened. Or maybe this, have a FF travel planner who would send FF vacationers on a route to different members who want to participate, and cut their way on members mills to mill different types of wood they would not normally ever see in their region. Could be fun. A sawyers scavenger hunt type of thing.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

But then "someone" with Administrative privileges would probably send all of the Walnut to Perry, GA.   :-X 

grouch

As I understand it, deliveries of walnut to Georgia require a Walmart parking lot somewhere along the way for the clandestine exchange.
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

Getting through your craftiness will indeed be difficult.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

self driving logs will be the ticket
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SlowJoeCrow

Jim,

Post a picture or two of your clamping setup and where the problem is and I can see if I can figure out what is going on.  I have used the same model mill that you have and we were definitely able to clamp and saw a 1" board without doing anything special.

Deese

50 Acre Jim,
Couldn't you put a 2x on the bed, put your cant on top and clamp it to saw the last board to 1"?
That should take care of it until you resolve the issue with the mill.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

redprospector

Years ago when I had an old LT-30, it would only cut down to 2".
If memory serves correctly, I would saw down to 3" or 4" and then slip a 1" board under the cant, and clamp above the 1" board (on the cant) and saw through. It was a lot easier, and more fun to just leave it 2" though.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

After talking with the customer, many times when "sawing through", I will saw to within an inch of the pith, flip the cant 180° and then saw leaving the ~2" dog board with the pith fairly well contained.

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: Magicman on August 15, 2017, 12:16:58 PM
After talking with the customer, many times when "sawing through", I will saw to within an inch of the pith, flip the cant 180° and then saw leaving the ~2" dog board with the pith fairly well contained.

BEST TIP OF THE DAY smiley_thumbsup thumbs-up

btulloh

That works pretty well for me, MM.  They come in handy when you need to sacrifice something instead using of a prime piece of lumber.  Plus you can rip both sides off and have a couple nice QS pieces.  Never goes to waste.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!