The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 755765 times)

petefrom bearswamp, 78NHTFY, Logdriver and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #6820 on: July 15, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »
It was 43 here at Mooseherder's place yesterday morning but a sweltering 56 this morning.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
« Reply #6821 on: July 15, 2017, 08:08:31 pm »
I  not know exactly how hot it was where JMoore and I were working today but it was probably above 985 F.  He had sweat dripping like rain off the brim of his cap and began seeing double.  I was so hot I began to get chills about 2:30.  We stopped for lunch at a nearby McDonalds and soaked up their cold air.

A fellow called me a few days ago while I was at FFA Forestry camp.  He had gotten my number from Lakeland Hardwood Lumber.  He said that he had 25 pine trees on a lot that he is clearing to build a house and said we could have them if we wanted them.  Usually, when I get calls like this folks want me to pay them to cut down their rotten water oaks.  John (JMoore) works less than a mile from the place and stopped by to assess the trees.  He sent me a picture or two.  The looked to all be longleaf pines and several were flat topped which worried me a little because of potential heart rot.  We felled 18 or so today and only one had about an inch of rot in the pith of the butt log. 

My Husqvarna 359 broke early in the morning at my JB Weld repair that had held for a year or so.  There was a topic in the chainsaw section about logging with a 50cc saw-well that is what we had left (Husqvarna 545).  It does not cut as fast as the 359 but with a sharp chain it continues to impress me.

After pulling the logs and the tractor home, we unloaded the logs and dumped them in my pond to try to avoid blue stain and ambrosia beetle holes.  Some of these logs are really nice.  We will try to fell the remaining seven trees.  Several of the trees we left stumps 3' or more so that the owner could get leverage to get the stumps out with an excavator.  The ones that were not where the house and pool are to go we cut as low as we could.   

and then we probably have two or three trips hauling logs home tomorrow.

Online Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #6822 on: July 16, 2017, 12:40:08 am »
Work is fun but hot takes the fun out of it. Glad you were able to get the logs.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
« Reply #6823 on: July 16, 2017, 07:15:02 am »
A miserably, hot job, Caveman.  Nice load of logs.  Good pictures.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6824 on: July 16, 2017, 07:33:20 am »
Those will saw out some very fine pine lumber.  That trailer looks like it might have got a little hot, too  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline slider

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6825 on: July 16, 2017, 07:55:48 am »
good score cave man
al glenn

Online Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #6826 on: July 16, 2017, 09:45:40 am »
48 here this morning with a forecast high of 88
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6827 on: July 17, 2017, 06:28:37 am »
We hauled two more loads home yesterday.  Some of the bigger logs were cut into 8' lengths.  At 16', my tractor would lift them but it was a bit unnerving on the uneven ground and loading them on the incline along the road (I had to be quick with the down lever on the front hydraulics on occasion).  As a bonus, we were able to collect a truck bed full of lighter knots.

With two operable saws running on Sunday, we were able to put the remaining seven trees on the ground and buck them in short order.  Thankfully they all fell where they were intended and did minimal damage to the trees that were to remain.

Some of WDH's longleaf pine furniture projects have piqued my interest in quarter sawing some of the larger logs and building table tops.  These trees are about 100 years old.  I will have to clean off the sap and use some helper lenses to get an accurate count of the growth rings then add a few years for the grass stage that longleaf have.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6828 on: July 17, 2017, 07:21:23 am »
Some quartersawn tabletop stock will be very fine for farm tables.  You might think about sawing some of it at 5/4 (1 3/8" rough), and some at 6/4 (1 5/8" rough) for the tabletops. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6829 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:22 am »
Sawed up some on the first boards when I first got my mill. ;D Some water oak that I am using inside my camp build. Was the reason for me to buy my mill in the first place. ;D This board was 10" wide by 14' by 4/4. The board had no cup in it after drying for over two years. ;D

After pasting them thru my planner.

Offline thechknhwk

• Senior Member x2
    • Story of the Trees
« Reply #6830 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:46 pm »
Some ambrosia maple ;D

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6831 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:59 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions on the dimensions Danny.  I do not know when we will have time to mill the logs-probably not until next month some time.
Caveman

Offline rjwoelk

• countrysidefirewood
« Reply #6832 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:07 am »
Caveman i see you are using a pond. Would like more info on that process.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6833 on: July 18, 2017, 06:10:34 am »
RJwoelk,
The way we store logs in the pond is inefficient but simple.  Initially, we tied empty water bottles to the logs to help locate them-they became tangled.  We tried to sort the logs by size and species but some float and blow around and others sink.  When it comes time to retrieve logs, I either wade into the pond and feel with my feet for the size and species needed, tie off to the log and pull it out with a tractor or if the log/logs we want are floating, I will pull them to the bank with a cable tied to a canoe so that they can be retrieved using the tractor forks.

The benefits of storing the logs in the pond include:
-they saw like the day they were felled
-the ips engraver beetles do not get into the pine unless the same part of the logs stays above the surface for an extended period of time.
-termites and wood borers do not get into the pond stored logs (on the ground here, they would be present in a few weeks)
-the bark sluffs off easily
-keeps the blue stain out of the pine (some folks desire the denim pine or Ellmoe's Wahoo Blue Pine)
-The water can be cold in the winter months (in some places, the water could be cold and hard during the winter)

Drawbacks:
-we usually have low water in the spring which may expose some of the logs
-the water is black and there are a lot of snakes in the pond (most are non-venomous)
-inefficient
-there is evidently an anaerobic bacteria that makes the wet logs/wood smell sour until dry, which also makes one's hands smell after handling the wood.
-the steep banks can offer some operational excitement from time to time when putting certain logs into or removing them from the pond.

I have considered attaching some log tongs to a cable that would go over the pond but since we do not saw for a living or mass production we will probably keep doing it the way we have been.

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #6834 on: July 19, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
It had sentimental value, and it was walnut. Otherwise I would have told the client it was not worth milling.
Everyone he knows will be getting walnut cutting boards for Christmas.... for several years.  ;D

black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #6835 on: July 19, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »
That was Good-On-You, Delaware Jack!    thumbs-up
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline flatrock58

« Reply #6836 on: July 19, 2017, 10:54:31 pm »
Against my better judgement I let a good friend talk me into sawing an old water oak he got from the city.  It had blown down in a storm and they were getting rid of it.  I think he said he counted over 100 rings so it was an old tree.  it was 38" diameter and heavy and the hydraulics would not turn it, so we went ahead and cut it in half with the chainsaw.

The center was a little soft and some of the wood wasn't great.  We had hit a couple of copper wires in the first half, but nothing bad.  When I started cutting the second half I hit what I thought was a nail  After working for a while we found out it was an insulator.  It was almost in the center of the tree so it had been there a while.

We also found a hole inside the tree that had once been open to the outside.  It had pine straw in it from a nest long ago.   

I keep saying to myself over and over.  Don't get big trees!  Don't get city or yard trees!!

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Piney Woods modified Dual tooth setter.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6837 on: July 20, 2017, 07:09:39 am »
(Note to self:  Pay attention to Flatrock and give the logs too big for the mill a wide berth and avoid big old yard trees.)

Offline slider

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6838 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:24 am »
I must concur with WDH on this one .Been there and for some reason keep going back.I think i'm cured,i think.
al glenn

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6839 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:35 am »
I have been getting some big pine 42" to 44" they come from lots getting cleared in a closed development .
You win some you lose some made some great wood and hit some metal but trees this nice or old are hard to come by .
They are a lot of work I sell a lot of wide stuff.
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools