Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Pecan slabs, 29" wide, 9/4 thick, 8' long

Some spalting

coxy

I like the looks of them  :)  ill give you me address and be nice and pay the shipping  :D what are you using them for

Magicman

Actually Pecan "builds" some might fine furniture.  I have used it mainly for clocks and various bedroom furniture items.  Lumber from old mature trees seems to be better behaved.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

That piecan pecan is just as purdy as the pie is good! :)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Now y'all kicking me below the belt about this pecan.

Still way to wet around here for me to saw. :( This rain has to stop coming every day.

WDH

Chad,

You have you some very nice ambrosia beetle holes  ;D.  The pecan is nice, too  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VictorH

Yesterday took the saw to a customers place.  He had told me he had a few logs he wanted to cut up.  Started with quarter sawing a nice 10' 28" diameter oak log.  This was the second log from this tree and I pointed to the butt log and stated we would have to split it with a chain saw before putting it on the mill.  (it was decided I would come back to do that one)  The oak was followed by 3 walnut, 4 Ash, and 3 Hickory logs.  Oh and a 6' 24" diameter Linden.  After the oak log the customer stated he was going to run out of stickers and could we still cut some like I had said in our phone conversation.  I said sure but I would't recommend cutting them out of any of these logs as I glanced over his pile.  So the customer asked if Linden (basswood) would work?  Said he had one down in the woods.  I said sure and He and His son went into the woods procured it from a downed tree.    During lunch he talked about the Linden and log he brought out was near the top and there was still a 20' log laying there (but much bigger diameter)  He has 300 acres of timber that hasn't been logged in at least 40 years.

Magicman

Since I saw stickers at no charge, it is often better for me to saw a sticker log rather than only get 2-3 per pass while edging flitches.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VictorH

I didn't count but they got a bunch of stickers out of that log.  I was sawing hourly rate so I didn't keep track of bd ft either.  Every log or two was hauled up to an old corn crib and stacked.  The customer commented during lunch that things seemed "hectic" and wondered how I thought things were going.   I told him things were going good for me.  When they were ready to take the first load up to the corn crib to stack He said I could take a break if I wanted.  I told him that was ok I would just keep sawing.  I never slowed down and neither did they  :D

Magicman

I love it when the sawing operation is going like clockwork and overwhelming the customer.  :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2017, 01:12:32 PM
Since I saw stickers at no charge, it is often better for me to saw a sticker log rather than only get 2-3 per pass while edging flitches.

This is what my customers do. They dedicate a whole log for their invertment stickers.
Slab off's tend not to give very good stickers and are a pain time consuming to saw.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I would much rather make flitch cut increments at 2" so that I am getting even width boards with each pass.

ncsawyer

Many times I saw stickers out of my 1" flitches.  I will stack 10 or so flitches on the mill to edge and cut them every 2" to make 1"x2" stickers.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Cut 4 HUGE pine logs Saturday.  All 36+ inches, but at least they were only 10ft long.  I had to cut a little and turn and cut a little more and turn.  Very time consuming!  The logs were "hedge row" pines and a few had some big knots, so some of them didn't saw all that well.

I was running 4° by 1.25" by 0.055 resharp blades and used 6 blades to cut 4 logs and still was not very satisfied with the performance.  On each log, once I got the bark whittled off, I put on a fresh blade to try and insure the lumber was high quality. 

But the grain on the outside those big logs was not very cooperative.  Even a super sharp blade wanted to rise and dive (even with no knots) until I got down into heart of the tree where the density was more consistent. 

Hopefully the rest of the logs in that big pile will saw a little easier. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Darrel

Any hedgerow pines I have ever seen have made me glad that I have never been asked to saw them.
1992 LT40HD

Ianab

Quote from: Darrel on June 26, 2017, 05:54:03 PM
Any hedgerow pines I have ever seen have made me glad that I have never been asked to saw them.

Friend had some over size "hedgerow" pines logged last year. Would have been 70+ year old Radiata. They were only getting 3 logs on the truck and another 3 on the trailer. She got paid about $11,000, for 21 trees. And that didn't count one of the butt logs that Blair's 30 ton excavator couldn't physically pick up to load on the truck!!!

Although there would have been some humungous knots in some of the logs, they like those old trees for making heavy duty pallets (much stronger than regular 25 year old pine), and because there are making short pallet components they can use boards with a few defects and cut around them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Sawed one small 8' long ash log for a customer today as a demo for his foster son and for him to use for crib blocks. Just sawed it 2" thick with some 4/4 side lumber and he bought the whole log right off the mill arms.

I already had the log staged , the mill was lubed and ready to put the band on so I could show them the whole process. They were excited and it was a lot of fun.

I don;t see how these people can sell mills they have had 8-10 years with less than 200 hours or so on them. How could you not get hooked on some thing this much fun?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

goose63

Mine will never be for sale

this one made some goodlooking stuff

A bunch of short fat log's

And some W O 

There was a small wallnut that John pulled from a burn pile 6 years agao man wasthat thing hard we did get some boards out of it

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

In the last pic, the board on the left looks a little stressed  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

That came from the wallnut it had a big crack in it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fishfighter

Just when things started to dry up, another 3+" of rain. >:(

And now the heat index has been hitting well over 100F.  Guess I need to hook up some lights to saw at night. :D Heck, 4am and it was 79F and thick air. :(

paul case

We get some of that thickness here. I have sawn at night some, but found you just sweat in the dark. For us it works best to start early and quit early. Dont over do it and drink plenty of water.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Darrel

That's what I do too, start work at 0600 and work till noon, then when the sun goes behind the hill work for another hour or two in the evening before dark.

The afternoon when it's hot is a good time to get in the air conditioned truck and go to town to the air conditioned stores etc. and take care of business.
1992 LT40HD

Chuck White

Paul, just being nosey, but wondering how the thumb where your thumb was is healing up?

Hope you're healing up ok!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

I wish I had taken more pictures, but I ended up with 2 jobs back to back and cut some really pretty wood.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!