iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

In my case, I think it was a carrot  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Due to the storm coming, we moved Thursday's scheduled sawing to tomorrow. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 19, 2017, 09:41:24 AM
Cutting the skin off of a cucumber last night and found myself calculating the area to get the best cant.   ;D  Come on, I'm not the only one...   

:D And I though I was the only one to do this. ;D

Magicman

There is always more if you do "live edge".   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I did the math on the log with the rotten center. I figure it should have yielded 321 bdft and what I actually got was 196 bdft so I lost 125 bdft to the rot.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Darrel

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 19, 2017, 03:53:08 PM
I did the math on the log with the rotten center. I figure it should have yielded 321 bdft and what I actually got was 196 bdft so I lost 125 bdft to the rot.

Jim Rogers

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about splitting the pith
1992 LT40HD

Peter Drouin

When I see rot at the end of a log, Say 3" round. I figure the BF of a 4x4 all the way out of the middle of the log.
That's a standard in NH scaling.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JRWoodchuck

MM is that just clover ground cover in the picture?

Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Magicman

Yup, mostly clover.  I was back at the same location today.  Grandson, Ben, was with me so I had exceptionally good help.

A dozen logs.

Lined up like soldiers.  We were sawing by 8:00a and finished before 2:00p.  No lumber pictures, but our today's yield was 1871 bf and was a general mix of 1", 5/4, & framing lumber.

Grizzly

I'm confused. Was that Magicman sitting and being still?????   :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

WDH

No, that was a stunt double.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 20, 2017, 08:03:33 PM
No, that was a stunt double.

:D                                        :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bags

That's his supervise'in postion fellas.lol. 8)

Magicman

There was no sittin' and grinnin' on this job today.  Rain was a comin' so I told um to grab their biscuit and eat it on the run because we weren't stopping.  First time that I have ever eaten a sammich between loading, turning, toe boarding, clamping, and sawing.  Got my fiber with the sawdust.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You are now regular with all that Fiber.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Nice setup Magicman, Jobs like that make cutting a dream. smiley_thumbsup

I had a an order for some 4x6x24' Hemlock free of heart.

Also got 4- 2x8x24, 1=4x12x24, and boards from that log.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

That's pretty awesome Peter,  I've always liked cuttin' big timbers from big logs. The bf add up quickly.
1992 LT40HD

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

longtime lurker

Quote from: fishfighter on June 19, 2017, 01:19:25 PM
Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on June 19, 2017, 09:41:24 AM
Cutting the skin off of a cucumber last night and found myself calculating the area to get the best cant.   ;D  Come on, I'm not the only one...   

:D And I though I was the only one to do this. ;D

Ive been saying for years everything you need to learn about log tension can be gathered trying to cut carrots into square straight strips for a stir fry. I backsaw the springy little suckers... And you get to eat your mistakes as well.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Darrel

Quote from: longtime lurker on June 21, 2017, 06:43:39 AM
Ive been saying for years everything you need to learn about log tension can be gathered trying to cut carrots into square straight strips for a stir fry. I backsaw the springy little suckers... And you get to eat your mistakes as well.

I have yet to sticker a load of carrots so that I could have dried stir fry to take backing, I'd think there would be way too much degrade though.  :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

JRWoodchuck

I first start with a reverse roll quarter saw really love VG carrots. And all of my stir fry is FOH. Don't need any extra checking!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Magicman

Actually I have given the carrot reference to customers wanting to get four 6X6's out of a 14"  Poplar log.  One guy insisted that it be done anyway saying that he would take his chances.  He lost and it was not pretty.   :-\

WV Sawmiller

Just a little clean up on my place. sawed 4-5 really small ash logs from 8-12 inches diameter. Cut 11-1/2 dozen 5' tomato stakes and one 6X6X8 I will cut into 4 2' long crib blocks. Will cut the rest of my small stuff and make some more stakes and a few more crib blocks just to have on hand and see  it they will move. If nobody else around has any I might sell a few. Never can tell. If they don;t sell this year the tomato stakes will sell next year. I get a 3' sticker off the other end after cutting my stake.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My yesterday's sawing just before this tropical storm Cindy, will be my last until the end of our vacation.  move_it Until then, I will take names and put them on the list.   :)

fishfighter

So far I been lucky with little rain here. ;D Kind of looks like that will change today. :(

What about those Tigers? 8) LSU LSU all the way. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!