Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2015, 09:37:27 PM
I forgot, what is Bibbying the log?
What scleigh did to the end of the log in the second picture.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

Magic, the chainsaw cuts in the 2nd picture did very little for clearance on my opening cuts. Ended up having to make 8 cuts, octagon, just to get it to a workable size.
I always seem to make too deep of a cut when bibbying, any advice....besides not cutting too deep?  :D

Magicman

I believe that Bibbyman called that octagon "gun barreling".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

So trimming a butt flare off a log with a chainsaw so that the headrig will clear it is called bibbying?
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2015, 10:10:42 PM
So trimming a butt flare off a log with a chainsaw so that the headrig will clear it is called bibbying?

On the Forestry Forum it is. But everyone else will look at you like a calf at a new gate (old saying).
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Oh ok...I just kinda figured it as part of sawing wood prior   :D

Sorry Bibbyman!
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Maybe @Bibbyman will take us back to the beginning as to how he explained his technique. For me, it has lost some translation along the way from what I recall, but bibbyman will help straighten me out. ;)

Whatever it was, it resolved into bibbying a log on the band mill or before it ended up on the bandmill.

I thought it was working a log too large for the bandmill down to size. Gun barreling such as in an octagon barrel sticks in my mind, not trimming flare off. But I could be wrong too.  :)

I see from a search that bandmiller2 and backwoodsawyer both talk about gun barreling too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

I didn't invent gun barrel sawing or put my name on it.  I was likely the first to document the procedure with pictures here in the Forum. 

I've also used the gun barrel method to saw flat grain boards out of a large log where the customer wanted boards no wider than 6".
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2015, 10:10:42 PM
That would be called manual bibbyiing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

As stated, The term "Bibbying" was not adopted by Bibbyman.  To me, it describes any method of reducing the log's size to a manageable size, and the term affectionately honors our longtime sawing mentor, Bibbyman. 

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 27, 2015, 08:37:52 AM
Quote from: WDH on April 26, 2015, 09:19:15 PM
Looked like elm to me  :).

You noticed that also?  :D

I thought the bark looked like Ash but he says it's a hickory. I don't know for sure but we will when I open her up.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 27, 2015, 02:42:33 PMbut he says it's a hickory.
Then it could be her sister after all.

Dave Shepard

Might be pignut. You will know it if it is. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

I see I see...Bibbying kinda sounds like the right word for it...Bibby it to size.. rolls off the tongue nice.  It should be added to the FF dictionary.

Yea it does look like an elm or pignut hickory from my house.. that bark on the leftest log. 

Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

If it's pignut you will know it
I cut some last fall it's hard but nice looking wood
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

goose63

This young man is building a long bow using  Ash

And this will be  27 inch bar top when its cleaned up for $400

he wanted 3inch thick when I showed him 2inch he said that's heavy enough
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fishfighter

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 27, 2015, 07:28:12 PM
If it's pignut you will know it
I cut some last fall it's hard but nice looking wood
Jim/Bruno

Really? Got one I need to drop.

WDH

Looks at the latewood.  If elm, the latewood pores will be arranged in wavy bands.  If hickory, the pores will be scattered, and there will be bands of apotracheal parenchyma running through the latewood  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

If the latewood pores are arearranged in wavy bands, then it ain't a sister, it will be a sister in law.   :D

WDH

Postulate:

If latewood = wavy bands, then lumber = wavy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 27, 2015, 04:26:31 PM
He thinks it is pignut. How will I know if it is?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 27, 2015, 10:33:19 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 27, 2015, 04:26:31 PM
He thinks it is pignut. How will I know if it is?

Jim Rogers

If it squeals when you cut it. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 27, 2015, 09:34:05 PM
Postulate:

If latewood = wavy bands, then lumber = wavy.

Chief Big Word.  smiley_indianchief
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

leader of the goat tribe
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!