The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' ???  (Read 689652 times)

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Whatcha Sawin' ???
« Reply #5860 on: March 19, 2017, 05:32:07 pm »
Went to Mass and after, I had fell two oaks. I was in need of some 16'+ logs for some live edge lap siding for the shed.

As you can see, my buddy is always under foot. ;D Couple times I woke up with him licking my face after passing out in the house or yard. :D

Did some framing and hung the first few boards of lap siding on the shed on these sides. Sun out and got to hot and had to quit. :(

Maybe some more tomorrow.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #5861 on: March 19, 2017, 05:42:14 pm »
MM, I don't normally charge to saw that sort of thing either, but one time a guy hired me to saw 9 logs like that and I did charge for it. Then there one straight log 14' long and 16" on the small end. He said he was going to make firewood out of it because it didn't have any figure. And he was right. It just had some of the most beautiful spalting I've ever seen in maple. Didn't charge him for that one but I did accept a couple of nice slabs.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #5862 on: March 19, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
You may remember last year after I finished sawing, the customer had a Cypress log that he tried to give me.  I refused and suggested that I saw live edged slabs for him.  He sold them that night and paid for the sawing job.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #5863 on: March 19, 2017, 08:33:21 pm »
Fish

I am glad to see some leaves on your trees. Good looking lumber too. That shed is gona be fantastic when finished. Do you have plans to seal the wood or let it gray?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and 3 blade Baker edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline Farm29

« Reply #5864 on: March 19, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »
Sawed some ERC live edge today and some 4/4. The biggest had a little rot in it but still got a good batch of clean stuff not sure what I'll do with the live edge maybe some benches its 3-1/4 think how long do you guys think I should let it air dry before I use it 

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #5865 on: March 19, 2017, 10:38:21 pm »
Not sawing anything right now but need to saw some more cedar to continue with the barn in progress. Some pine in it that I milled years ago but mostly cedar so far milled off the the new property. The place is over run with cedar. You can't  see them in this picture but there is a pile pf cedar logs just out of view that come out of this small pasture that will be the pen for our old horse. Have already milled almost as many as in the pile. I'll get a pic of them tomorrow. the brush piles were enormous. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #5866 on: March 20, 2017, 06:30:28 am »
Looking good Lee, now be careful on them ladders. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5867 on: March 20, 2017, 07:41:25 am »
Fish

I am glad to see some leaves on your trees. Good looking lumber too. That shed is gona be fantastic when finished. Do you have plans to seal the wood or let it gray?

PC

Going to have to seal in. Maybe some linseed oil. I know that a lot of those boards will split over time as they dry. :(

This is just the building. I will be coming off it and building an open pavilion that will be 16' wide by 30' long. That is were I will be parking my sawmill. I been kicking around an idea of building a new electric power sawmill or just convert my mill over to electric. ;D Or, if I stay with gas as now, I will build a complete new track rail system. Going that route, I would be able to just set aside the old track/rail system that is on a trailer and swap the mill head if I want to do some mobile sawing on my place. 

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5868 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:52 pm »
Spent most of the day Saturday cleaning around the work area, and had a few hours remaining to saw a few 2x's. Cut lumber most of the day on Sunday as well.

I cut 26 cookies for my sweet sis'n law and left them on the trailer. She was supposed to pick them up last night. Well, she didn't and the man came for the lumber and trailer this AM and guess what? Cookies are gone. Guess what I'm doing after work today...again  :-[

I learned a valuable lesson the hard way this weekend, one that I will likely never forget. I will either not accept logs smaller than ~8" diameter, or charge double BF rate for sawing them. I had hired help (one guy) and we busted it all weekend and only yielded 1492 BF. I was only averaging 2-3 2x4's or 2x6's per log. Cannot make money that way. You can only work so fast for so long, until you exhaust yourself. I've also learned that I need 2 good helpers when things are really flowing. My body is paying for it today. I would rather not have an hourly rate option, as my customers are usually absent while the sawing is done. I talked to my customer last night and he was bringing several more trailer loads today. I told him about the situation and he seemed to understand, and is taking them to another nearby circle mill. From this point forward, I don't believe I will ever reject oversize logs (30"+) again. I'll just make sure I've got 2 good helpers.
I think it's safe to say that "I'm cutting my sawing teeth on the EZ" similar to Paul Case!
It's time to work smarter. Still learning.

On another note, a past customer sent pics of his 1x8 flooring material being sent for T&G processing.

And this is the returned product

Sawed 4 years with EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp. 2004 LT40 Super 51HP, 1975 Case Tractor, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, Stihl MS 440, Stihl MS 250, 60" Logrite

Offline safdchief2

• Like Jack Daniel's, I'm aging properly
    • Deer Lake Sawmilling
« Reply #5869 on: March 20, 2017, 03:01:46 pm »
Did some Oak Burl this weekend. 2" and 4" thick.
WM 1995 LT40HD OnanG24 - Farmall M - Selfmade 32" log arch - 2011 FLHTCU FFSE

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5870 on: March 20, 2017, 03:17:13 pm »
When to saw some more live edge lap siding. First cut, I notice that the blade took a big dive. :o Even the mill motor was having a bit of trying to keep up. Not good. :o

Started inspecting things. Yep, fan belts are finished. :(  Had to order a couple sets which will be here Wednesday morning.

Well, I do need some rest, so that is a good thing the belts trashed out. :D

On a side note. What I also saw was a lot of saw dust build up on the belts. Does anyone use some kind of scrapper to clean off the belts?

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #5871 on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »
Farm 29,
I think that i enough air drying. Nice bunch o cedar!

Deese,

That will learn ya how to say nope!
I think the first hundred or so logs I sawed for my house build were about like those ones you described. You'll make a mountain of slabs and a little dab of lumber.
Keep it up!

PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and 3 blade Baker edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #5872 on: March 20, 2017, 08:43:00 pm »
Today's job increased from 7 to 11 Cherry logs, five 10' and the rest 8'.  It was 66 miles and I was there by 6:45.

The setup was very good and the logs were easily rolled to the sawmill loader'.  The largest butt log was 20".

I disagreed with his lumber storage/drying location, but at least they did a good stickering job.  The total was ~1Mbf, but I just charged him the daily minimum and did not scale it.

This burl fork was interesting to saw.

And it turned out some nice bookmatched live edged slabs.

As well as several burl cookies that should make some interesting tables or whatever after they dry.  There were ~16"X24".

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #5873 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »
Monday when I went to my second spring road job, I set up and got ready to start milling and I looked up at my scale:

And in the wind from driving back the scale decal had blown off.

I wasn't that upset as I can use the ruler scale, but it is nice to have your regular sliding scale.

Many years ago, I bought a second scale and I wanted to try and do something different. I just installed the back up scale.

Now all is right in the world.

I believe you can buy just the scale decal, but I'm not sure. I may try and see if I can.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline JRWoodchuck

• Full Member x2
« Reply #5874 on: March 21, 2017, 01:51:59 pm »
Jim where did you get your second scale from. I have been thinking about adding one like to my mill.
Thanks!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #5875 on: March 21, 2017, 03:14:26 pm »
Jim where did you get your second scale from. I have been thinking about adding one like to my mill.
Thanks!

Bought it from Woodmizer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5876 on: March 21, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »
Jim, that looks just like the scale on my mill. That scale is my accuset.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5877 on: March 22, 2017, 05:55:20 pm »
Got the new belts in this morning. ;D But kind of been under the weather the last couple days. :( I did climb on the tractor and did a little dirt work for the mill shed, but had to call it a day at 9am and climb back in bed. :(

Going to try and realign my mill tomorrow. I need to pull it out from where it is due to the saw dust build up. :)

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5878 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:47 pm »
You get to feeling better fishfighter.
1992 LT40HD

Offline Briankinley2004

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5879 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »
Sawed some walnut cookies today. Practiced yesterday on some pine and screwed up a band. Finally got clamping down and sawed these with an old blade. The small ones turned green after sawing. Not sure what that's about