iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farm29

New to saw milling but have been reading this forum a lot lately thanks for the good info I have sawed a total of 187 bf of 4/4 ERC but hope to saw more soon.  Just starting out so I have a lot of learning to do.  Have a good pile of cedar logs just lacking in time to get to them.  Thanks again for the info. I can't figure out out to put pics on but if I figure it out I will
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

WV Sawmiller

F29,

Welcome on board. Good to hear from you.

I towed the mill and spent the day cutting walnut at a good friends house. He had several large trees cut in his yard, a guy took a couple loads to the mill and left a bunch cut in short, often firewood, lengths.

Down in the ditches, short, scrappy pieces.

I set up in his drive, had to dig in front landing gear and jack up the rear and still sloped down hill a little.

Cut several of these crotches. Nice figured wood but hard to load and clamp. I'd center on one arm and buddy ran the hydraulics while I held in place.

Won't win any beauty contests.

More sapwood than I'd prefer but some pretty pieces.

More ugly pieces.

Max out my cutting width.

More pretty pieces. Note the green tint typical of fresh cut green walnut.

Cookie dough?

Maxed out blade width, pulled blade off on one. Final result 3-2"X23" "donuts"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Farm29, Scroll to the very last topic on the index page for picture posting instructions, and Welcome.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

WV,

I went and looked at a walnut job on Sunday after church and many of the logs looked like the small ones in your picture.  He said he had some 28 inch logs that were 16ft long, but his granddad traded them to the guy who did some clearing for him.  At any rate I should be able to get some pretty nice stuff out of what the excavator guy left.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

I had the day off today (President's Day), so I took the opportunity head down to my father-in-law's farm and take care of some of the trees that were taken down during the hurricane back in October. 

When I got there, there was a HUGE pile of tree length "logs"  Mostly red oak and pine with a few white oaks and hickories. 

We cut one hickory, a bunch of pine and red oak and a few white oaks, the rest were firewood quality.  He had a guy running the tractor, chain saw, and pressure washer.  He was sorting the firewood out from the saw logs and cutting them to length and then pressure washing all the mud and gravel off of them.

There were also two off bearers as well, so I didn't have to do a whole lot except run the saw.

We had a pretty good day and put in 10 solid hours on the mill.  We ended up cutting the whole pile except 9 logs.

I didn't tally up the board feet since it was scattered all over the place and since it was for my father-in-law he got the "family discount".  I always jokingly tell him that the family rate is twice my normal rate.   ;D   He always requests the normal rate!  ;D
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

WV Sawmiller

NC,

Good luck on your Walnut job. Some of the odd, ugly pieces yield some real pretty wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Farm29

Thanks MM for the photo help I hope it worked this is one pile of cedars I have to saw.  I took the the stack I had already cut to a hardwood lumber yard today to see if they were interested in it. They said it looked good and would buy more of it and that I could saw it 8/4 which is better for me.  Looking forward to getting more sawed to take to them and that there is a market for it
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

That is very good looking ERC, and congrats on the pictures.

What part of Missouri?  You might be interested in attending this get together:  Chilly Chili
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Farm29

I'm between Jefferson City and Columbia off hwy 63. The cedars are out of the Missouri River bottom hills.  When I took the stack in to sell yesterday they asked what I did with all the sap wood I guess they thought I was cutting the hearts out. I showed them that pic and they understood.  It took me a while to cut the first batch because of mill problems. I was fortunate enough to find a guy that had a 1990 lt40 hd that had been setting for 5-6 years he said if I got it running I could saw with it for a while so I'm getting a first hand try at it before I have to front the cost of a mill... But it had 4500 hrs and a lot of slop in the head fuel lines bad electrical issues and other things.  I broke 3 blades cut bad crooked cants and other issues getting started.  But after 5-6 hrs off adjustments ??? And a new box of 10 blades I'm ready to get at it again ur alls info on her as been a big help thanks again
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

gww

Farm
Where you are puts you about 60 miles or so away from me.  Sounds like the guy with the mill you are using is coming out pretty good if you are working the bugs out of it for him.  I find what you are doing to be interesting and I hope it works out for you.  If you ask me, cedar is a good wood to use to work out the bugs with cause I find it about the easiest of the things I cut.  So Out of those ten blades you have, the cedar will use fewer of them and then when you get it right, the hard woods will be able to give you the most blade for what you are cutting.. I can cut a lot of cedar on one blade compared to how much hard wood I can cut. 
Good luck
gww

Farm29

Yea so far he's getting a good deal but I hope to saw a good bit with it to sweeten my side of the deal a little.   Yea I picked cedar to learn on because there is a good bit of it around and I can get it at a ok price if I cut it down the stuff I have know cost a little more but it was cut and delivered to me so I don't have as much sweat in it.  I have my eye on a 96 lt40 hd I would like but want to make sure i can make a little jingle with it before I buy it.  Not sure if cedar is the best pay out but it's fun to cut and makes me smell a bit better when I get home after a long day 😎
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

These are on tap for me tomorrow.

Three ERC logs two of which are in the 16" class.  Hopefully they will be as good as they look.

WDH

When it is good, it is real good.  When it is bad, it is real bad. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, that is why I am anxious for the customer at least.  I get paid the same regardless of what they look like inside.

Briankinley2004

Farm29

Got to saw a little bit but worked on a ruff log deck and got some cedars bucked to length and put on it. Should be nice when I do get to saw again.  Had another bug to work out on the mill for some reason what ever keeps the outer blade guide frome coming in to far didn't work.  It fell out of it rollers and did a number on a very new blade 🤔
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

caveman

I wish I had a truckload of cedar like that MagicMan. 
Caveman

Magicman

Actually it was a nice load of ERC that began this thread a little over two years ago.   ;D

fishfighter

I too would love to a load of them. ;D

No sawing for a few days. Got to go catch some crawfish to bait some trotlines. In need of some fish for lent. ;D The wife flat out told me to go fishing or she will be buying fish. :o Got a nephew that will be fishing along side me in his boat to keep a eye on me. :D

gww

Fish
QuoteGot a nephew that will be fishing along side me in his boat to keep a eye on me

Is it a boat that you made?
Cheers
gww

Magicman

ERC, not really enough to make it worthwhile, but my business is to satisfy my (repeat) customers.

We went for maximum yield from the logs.

All sawed 5/4 with the widest being 12".  It didn't take but one hour.

fishfighter

Quote from: gww on February 23, 2017, 09:37:46 AM
Fish
QuoteGot a nephew that will be fishing along side me in his boat to keep a eye on me

Is it a boat that you made?
Cheers
gww

No, a back water flat bottom alum boat. To many stumps and logs that I have to jump. I will be hunting some cypress logs to. ;D

Magicman

Tomorrow's sawing will be another ~60 mile road trip.  I have no idea how large or what it will be, it will just be a surprise.  :o  No matter, I will take is as it comes.   :)

Magicman

I talked with the customer and all of the lumber will be kiln dried, planed, T&G, and used for wall paneling.

He named off Red Oak, White Oak, Sycamore, Hickory, & Cypress.   headscratch

Thank You Sponsors!