iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

MM,

You are swimming in walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

All it needs now is a sawmill and Life Guard. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Picked up some rock maple logs from a guy up the road from me that's making a house lot at an old farm.
He had a mini excavator to load them in a one ton truck for me.
I gave him one of my end tables i make for giving me the logs.
They look to have some spalting on the ends.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bags

That's some nice grain match on the two cut boards on the left.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice Danno.  :) Good paneling lumber.
That would look good on an Outhouse.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

It certainly is blue.  As blue as I have sawn.  I have sawn 15 logs so far, got about 200 to go  :).  Nose to the grindstone as they say (Old saying.  Nose to the grindstone to make sure that the corn is not getting scorched so that the grits turn out good). 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 05, 2016, 08:24:38 PM
  Nose to the grindstone to make sure that the corn is not getting scorched so that the grits turn out good).

:D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dean herring

That's some blue pine there WDH.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Delawhere Jack

A small walnut job today, including this 24" wide crotch. Just sayin'....

Magicman

Oh Yes, you did say.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

WOW!!!! The figure in that walnut is spectacular.

WDH

Goodness Gracious! (old saying).

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2016, 07:50:45 AM
Goodness Gracious! (old saying).

... Great Balls of Fire! as the great Jerry Lee Lewis would say!

Danny, you're always talkin' in half phrases, got to say it all if ya really means it...

:D :D :D

Herb

Colonel_O

Eastern Hemlock to replace barn siding and damaged beams on my cousin's 1855-built central PA dairy barn. This farm has been in the family for 200 years so it is a very special project (and my first Woodmizer project).  Marty Parsons from Shade Gap got us off on the right foot: nevertheless, I'm learning the hard way and making plenty of rookie mistakes.  The best lesson is that the Woodmizer is incredibly forgiving and lets me get back to sawing despite myself.  We jumped right into the Varsity level with 20' logs, most of which have been laying for 3 years in a log yard up in the woods. I've learned a lot from this forum already and look forward to contributing.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

Kbeitz

Wow....
That looks like a barn that me and my son looked at last year.
They wanted a price on fixing it up. I don't think they liked our price.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Colonel_O

They'll have an Amish crew come in and do the work.  As you know (given your location), the Amish do a lot of construction work in central PA and know their way around these kind of barns in particular.

Jim_Rogers

I worked on the next to the last log of the "ash" flooring order. I told him the other day when he showed up that his "walnut" logs were really ash. And I asked him if it would change his plans on what he wanted out of the remaining logs. He didn't have an answer. I told him that I would be working on his logs last Thursday and Friday and needed an answer by then.
I didn't get one.
He called me Saturday and said to saw up the rest but to again make more flooring. I told him he was a little late as I sawed up almost all of them and only had a couple left. He asked for four 4x6's and I told him I had one large log left that would make them.
Sunday while I was not here he came and took a pickup load of lumber back to his place.
He called me late Sunday afternoon and left a message on my machine. I didn't get it until Monday morning. I guess he left his spare tire standing up in the back of his truck when he drove out. But when he got home it wasn't in his truck and he wanted to know if I had seen it.
Who leaves a tire standing up loose in the back of a truck full of lumber? I guess he does; but only once, as it's gone now. Some one must have found it or it really rolled off the road as he said he came back looking for it but couldn't find it.

Several months ago, I sawed out a very large hemlock log for a fellow who wanted five pieces 2" thick by 24" wide by 12' long. I got those and a lot of 1" boards he wanted.
Well, that guy never came and got the lumber or planks. I sold off a couple of the wide planks to another guy.
He called me Sunday at 1:30 pm and my cell doesn't get good service at home so it went to voice mail.
I got his message later on Sunday afternoon when I went to town to get the family some supper. He wanted a piece 2" thick 24" wide with round edge both sides 13' long.
He texted me this message around 5:30 Sunday afternoon, as well.

Monday morning he texted me again and asked if I got his text. I told him I did but that the sawmill is closed on Sundays.
He asked me if I had a piece like that "laying around".......

I told him that that was a special order size and that all special orders "NOW" requires a deposit in advance.
I told him it would be at least a week or two before I could get to it.
He said to let him know when I was doing it and he'd come over and help. The last two times he said that, I notified him that I was doing his stuff and he couldn't find the time to come over and help.
I said to myself, I've heard that one before.

I won't be sawing it until I get a deposit which will be payment in full up front.

When he calls back and asked if it's done yet, I'm going to tell him that I don't have an order from him.
As his orders require a deposit in advance every time from now on.
It is a hard time to get one log just right to make a 2" x 24" x 14' round edge plank. (I told him I don't do 13' pieces).

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Wow Jim, I know that you take it all in stride, but I can still feel your frustration.   :-\

paul case

atta boy Jim.

Some jobs don't pay enough to deal with some people.

I had a guy bring me logs to saw a post and siding  plus 2x4's and he didn't come to pick them up for a year. I gave up and sold his stuff after it sat outside all that time for about 1/2 what the sawing cost. Not good. However I will never mention it to him. I will not saw ANYTHING for him unless he pays up front.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ChugiakTinkerer

Colonel_O,

Wow, go big or go home!  Looking forward to maybe seeing the barn in this thread: Customer's projects pictures thread
Woodland Mills HM130

ozarkgem

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 06, 2016, 05:36:00 PM
I worked on the next to the last log of the "ash" flooring order. I told him the other day when he showed up that his "walnut" logs were really ash. And I asked him if it would change his plans on what he wanted out of the remaining logs. He didn't have an answer. I told him that I would be working on his logs last Thursday and Friday and needed an answer by then.
I didn't get one.
He called me Saturday and said to saw up the rest but to again make more flooring. I told him he was a little late as I sawed up almost all of them and only had a couple left. He asked for four 4x6's and I told him I had one large log left that would make them.
Sunday while I was not here he came and took a pickup load of lumber back to his place.
He called me late Sunday afternoon and left a message on my machine. I didn't get it until Monday morning. I guess he left his spare tire standing up in the back of his truck when he drove out. But when he got home it wasn't in his truck and he wanted to know if I had seen it.
Who leaves a tire standing up loose in the back of a truck full of lumber? I guess he does; but only once, as it's gone now. Some one must have found it or it really rolled off the road as he said he came back looking for it but couldn't find it.

Several months ago, I sawed out a very large hemlock log for a fellow who wanted five pieces 2" thick by 24" wide by 12' long. I got those and a lot of 1" boards he wanted.
Well, that guy never came and got the lumber or planks. I sold off a couple of the wide planks to another guy.
He called me Sunday at 1:30 pm and my cell doesn't get good service at home so it went to voice mail.
I got his message later on Sunday afternoon when I went to town to get the family some supper. He wanted a piece 2" thick 24" wide with round edge both sides 13' long.
He texted me this message around 5:30 Sunday afternoon, as well.

Monday morning he texted me again and asked if I got his text. I told him I did but that the sawmill is closed on Sundays.
He asked me if I had a piece like that "laying around".......

I told him that that was a special order size and that all special orders "NOW" requires a deposit in advance.
I told him it would be at least a week or two before I could get to it.
He said to let him know when I was doing it and he'd come over and help. The last two times he said that, I notified him that I was doing his stuff and he couldn't find the time to come over and help.
I said to myself, I've heard that one before.

I won't be sawing it until I get a deposit which will be payment in full up front.

When he calls back and asked if it's done yet, I'm going to tell him that I don't have an order from him.
As his orders require a deposit in advance every time from now on.
It is a hard time to get one log just right to make a 2" x 24" x 14' round edge plank. (I told him I don't do 13' pieces).

Jim Rogers
This and other things is exactly why I am working my way out of the retail sawmill business.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Colonel_O

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on December 06, 2016, 06:18:57 PM
Colonel_O,

Wow, go big or go home!  Looking forward to maybe seeing the barn in this thread: Customer's projects pictures thread
Will do--should have the barn hill side (north facing) done by Christmas.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!