iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Quote from: paul case on May 28, 2016, 05:38:00 PM
Grouch,
I can't get over how much your maple looks like our hickory in your pictures.
Good sawing anyhow. You're going to have to get over being grouchy and learn how to sharpen your bands.  ;D
PC

I don't have any hickory to try; previous owner nearly wiped 'em out. Only have a few good-sized hickories on the whole place and I'm leaving them for the next generation.

Thanks for the encouragement!

So those tear-outs _do_ indicate a dull blade? I've noticed some teeth are looking shiny on the sides. No debarker, either. Figure it's losing its set, too.

Quote from: Magicman on May 28, 2016, 06:03:00 PM
Quote from: grouch on May 28, 2016, 01:25:35 PMTried to make some stickers out of a limb, but I think it may just be kindling:
Just as information, you never want to use a sticker that has any bark on it.  Insects love that slick cambium layer.

How in the world did you see the bark in that picture?!? I know its on several of those stickers but the only bark I can make out is on the slabs under them! You got good eyes.

I have two 8 ft and a couple of shorter logs of gum waiting to be sawed. Based on watching two gum boards squirming in my driveway, I may wait until those logs season a bit. Those 2 boards look like corkscrews until it rains on them and then they flatten out like they were freshly sawn.

Some gum I sawed last year from a standing dead tree has never tried to cup, bow or twist:

[edit 2016-06-11: fix image file name for the NOT gum]

I just don't understand that tree.

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2016, 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: grouch on May 28, 2016, 01:25:35 PM
Is this the ambrosia I've seen mentioned or something else?

Yes, those are ambrosia streaks. 

Cool! I have several boards with those in them. Not big flashy patterns, just occasional accent streaks.

[Woohoo! I figured out to click the handy "Insert Quote" to get replies into 1 post. Hey, it's only in bold, 3/8" high, colored and with a flag beside it. Anybody could miss it.]
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

I never sticker lumber with any bark on it either.  Bark on lumber or stickers is a recipe for insect trouble, but then of course, live edged slabs always have bark.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedar Eater

Hopefully enough poplar to finish my haywagon project. After repeatedly finding core rot in my large balsam poplar blowdowns, I cut three standing quaking aspens and a big tooth aspen down. The first log cut a lot harder than the bam, but I'm more than half way done with the deck boards.

Cedar Eater

WDH

Grouch,

The wood in your last pic is not gum  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grouch

Quote from: WDH on May 29, 2016, 07:37:35 AM
Grouch,

The wood in your last pic is not gum  :).

It ain't? The dead tree was surrounded by gumballs and the bark I knocked off of it sure had that look.

What is it?

hopm

WDH

Looks like chinaberry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Chinaberry is a species that I have never sawn.  I had my mind on Sassafras.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RPowers

Looks just like the standing dead Red Elm I've sawn here. Fresh dead, not old and split.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: grouch on May 29, 2016, 03:05:49 PM

What is it?

Looks to me like Kentucky Coffee tree.

Aren't you in Kentucky?  :laugh:
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

grouch

WDH, You're just making work for me. I'm gonna have to rename all those picture files with "gum-*" in the name and edit every post they appear in so it doesn't break things. It's all your fault, somehow or other.

Hot and muggy today but I still shoved and gnawed my way through that stuff (easier to breathe it if you chew it 3 times first), picked my way through the poison ivy and risked life and limb to ticks just to grab some photos of the stump and bark down in the woods. (Have to edit and upload those. Might take me a little while).

This time I noticed that young gum trees from sapling to 10" D are growing on the whole hillside around that stump. That easily explains the spikey seed balls laying around. The bark, well, you'll see for yourself shortly.

It never looked red enough and there's just too much heartwood. Y'all have convinced me it's not gum now.  Wouldn't know Chinaberry if it fell on my head; know I've got some kind or kinds of elm around. Gotta find my "Field Guide to North American Trees".

Thanks, all.

Ignorance is not bliss; it's DanGed annoying.

Edit to add:
Cazzhrdwd, yes I'm in Kaintuck. Unfortunately, I don't know what the tree looked like when it was alive and even then, I don't (yet) know what the Kentucky Coffee tree looks like. grrr.

Edit again -- pictures

A limb still in the woods:

The stump:

The bark (with termites):

The butt, still awaiting saw:

I don't think this is a natural growth:

Another limb:

[edit 2016-06-11: fixing image file names]

Magicman

If that first picture was lying in my woods, it would be Elm.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

Yes, I would agree with elm. 

Grouch, I am guilty as charged. 

grouch

Looks like we have a consensus. Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out.

"Whatcha sawin'?" ELM, without knowing it!

I'll have to confess how this was logged, now. It was done with a generator, two 50 ft extension cords and a cheap 14" electric pruning chainsaw. Weak machine, but it cut.

There was no good place to lay it down on that hillside, and I wasn't willing to clear the other trees, so naturally it got hung on the way down. Chains, come-along, pole saw and axe to the rescue. You might notice the stump has more hinge on one side than the other. It fell where I intended even though that intention changed after the first notch. Might see some axe marks on that stump, too. Parts were carried out; parts were dragged out using about 60 ft of chain and the tractor.

I wanted that tree for sawing.

mesquite buckeye

Looks like elum to mee too. ;D

Nice mesquite fatties, TP. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

lshobie

First tree with my new skidder - a red oak to be live edge milled for table tops and mantles.  This thing hauls!

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

yep you are having too much fun!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Czech_Made

I bet that's fun to drive, good for you  :)

Quote from: lshobie on May 30, 2016, 06:56:28 PM
First tree with my new skidder - a red oak to be live edge milled for table tops and mantles.  This thing hauls!

Magicman

I finished with the ERC and also with edging the ERC slabs this morning so now it's sawing SYP into mostly "store bought" sized framing lumber, but no 2X4's.

Here Gabby is clearing off a spot for the sawmill.  Two whacks of SYP logs are seen in the background.

Tomorrow morning's log is on the sawmill, the edged ERC slabs are in the background, and some SYP framing lumber is in the foreground.  That knotty SYP log probably will not make framing lumber but 1" stuff instead.

fishfighter

Been clearing land around my camp. An ac or so that I fell everything last fall and then rain rain and more rain. Got dry enough to get the backhoe it to pile up and burn.

Now down to this.

Started digging a settlement pond for the treatment plant. had to dig up one real big oak. One heck of a root ball that I like not to get out the hole.

Anyway, I found something growing right in the area that I didn't know was there. heck, I been thru these woods for over 50 years and I was shocked on my find. Now the question is to fell it to saw or just let it grow. I do have other land where these trees grow and if I fell this one, it really is no big deal. 40+ years ago, this stretch of land was cow pasture.

The tree, a sweet straight cypress tree that is about 26" round about 5' up from the ground. ;D If I fell it, my plans are to saw a few 1"bys and the rest would be sawed at 3/8" to maybe 7/16" as wide as I can get. Those boards would be used to build a few pirogues for my kids and grandson. They would last a life time.

So, anyone ever sawed cypress that thin? Any problems of it splitting? I will stack and sticker it extra and even band it to air dry.

grouch

Magicman,
You don't want to be sawing that lumpy ol' pine. Send that thing to me and I'll dispose of it for you. Might have to give the UPS man some ribs or gumbo to get him to strap it to the roof. I'll trade you some not-a-gum, already sawed!

Magicman

I am working to get rid of this junky 16' and under stuff first.  There are some absolutely beautiful 20 footers that will make plenty of 2X12's.  I am kinda looking forward to tomorrow, but there is one bad thing....there is no shade.    :-\

Dave Shepard

I don't know how you do it. I was scything my front lawn yesterday, and it was in the low eighties. Almost unbearable, and that's nothing compared to what you get.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!