iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: drobertson on July 22, 2015, 03:12:33 PM
just whack that much off maybe?

If they want to they can, but I'm not going to.
So far out of 23 pieces 5 have nails, four waiting for puller, and one hit.

After lunch, I went out to continue and found my clutch lever all the way up. I knew that meant my brake strap broke.

Sure enough broken break strap. Luckily right at the top end where it bolts on. I reversed it and bored a new hole through it and it's all back together again.

Just about ready to finish sawing up the last 8 or so pieces and it starts raining.......
radar says short shower but move coming down from NH in a little while.

Simple little job going to take all day to complete.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

No real sawing other then edge those SYP logs I split and put one on the mill. Spent the day on the backhoe ripping things apart. With this dry spell, I though it was time to clean/clear my log landing area. Took a few hours due to mud and cut offs tied together. Of course everything under is wet and very muddy. Just hoping for a week of more dry so I can move in some dry dirt I have stacked. That itself is high dollar right now due to the Mississippi River supper high down here.

What I am seeing with this el Nino building in the Pacific, it looks like a early wet winter here in the south. Heck, the bottoms are still full of water now + the high  Mississippi River, the water table is high. I can dig two feet and I have water.

DanG clay dirt takes forever to dry and once it does, it's hard as a rock.

deadfall

Could not be dryer here in what is usually wet country.  It's trying again to rain, but what you can feel hitting your skin is not getting anything wet.  But it is enough to get me to cover stuff up.  No milling today, as I needed to take down some trees for my and the neighbors' woodsheds.  Chainsawed two stumps and a very small spruce that were in the way.  Been getting ready to drop a big injured alder that threatens a tiny house frame that's getting built next to my shop site.  That has to be roofed and closed up soon. I took most of the day just clearing materials out of the way so I can drag the logs out once I have it down.  It's leaning enough to be all stress, and that means firewood.  It's time to get the firewood done, as alder split in July can be burned in winter. August not so much.

Even though I can certainly always use it being dry, this country around here needs a soaking.  The coastal hills and mountains of OR and WA rarely burn, but there have been some doozies.  I've been told this valley had a fire in the '30.  There are some charred snags here and there.  But for the record setter, look up, "the Tillamook Burn." 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Jim_Rogers

In between nail hits, dull blades, rain showers, phone calls, and water breaks, I did manage to get the order done. Except for 4 pieces with nails in them.

When the customer's driver gets here, he can use my tools, pull the nails and I'll saw up the last four, while he loads his truck.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Jim,  Do you have a resaw or are those boards without twist and you are able to lay them flat on the sawmill bed?

At times I have been able to resaw and others, not so much.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

I sure enough hung that alder up.  A five inch branch caught the one tree I had to get past.  It's stuck there on a 45 degree angle, still sitting on the stump, though its moved back an inch.  It was only an inch from the last two rafter tails, and with it leaning toward the roof, but away from much chance of clearing the tree to the other side, well, it just had only one place to go.  I hinged it perfectly for the direction I wanted, but it hung.  I have to get some help now if I can't get it down with plan B.  Plan B is borrow my neighbor's 30.06 and shoot that limb a time or two.  Plan C will be to call my tree guy.  I have used plan B successfully in the past.  There's not much danger with that approach.  My tree guy wouldn't charge me too much, but would probably approve the rifle attempt.

Happy for no reason.

WV Sawmiller

Got an order yesterday for a little poplar. Cut 340 bf off 2 logs this morning. Took me 1.4 hours on the mill but wasted too much time shifting the first log after I got it on the mill. Should have checked it closer before I loaded it. After that both cut like a breeze.

Going tomorrow to cut 2 big hickory logs. First one is about 30" on big end and 13'4" (I know - odd size but it is what it is). All loaded up and ready to pull out first thing in the morning. Will try to get a picture. Guy says he wants thick slabs so should cut fast. Have both 7 & 4 degree blades ready as needed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

deadfall
I used your plan B on a broken limb high in a hickory tree... but started with 12 ga shotgun slugs. When I was hitting it, just made a hole the size of the slug. I switched to shot loads and the limb let go pretty quickly. Seemed the shot loads made more damage in a larger area.
Be interested how the 30.06 works if you try it.
I caught some flak from a tree climber at the time (wasn't a clean cut), but hope I made amends when I later cut the limb off at a lower level flush to the tree.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on July 22, 2015, 10:03:03 PM
Jim,  Do you have a resaw or are those boards without twist and you are able to lay them flat on the sawmill bed?

no resaw.

Usually I put the cup down on the mill so that the piece will touch the clamp and fixed dogs so it won't shift while sawing.
If it rocks a little I would try and split the difference in the wobble and do the best I can.

Jim Rogers

btulloh

Sawed a butt log from a nice SYP this morning and now I'm wondering if I'm crazy to make 2x4's out of it. Even though it's just syp, it seems like a shame to make framing lumber out of this perfectly clear stuff.  Here are the two cants ready to cut into 2x4's.

If I fall in love with every log, I'll never get the lumber cut for my hunting cabin. 

Making framing lumber with consistent dimensions seems to be kind of an art on a manual mill.  I even CADded up some scales with my target dimensions plus kerf and did a lot of planning but it still seems tricky as heck to get the remainder and dog boards to come out right.  I'm doing pretty good, but it's time consuming.  I can see where computer control can really come in handy.  (Sort of obvious I suppose.)  I haven't seen any references on here from manual mill people that may have learned a few tricks, but I'm sure there must have been a discussion about this in the past.  Right now I'm in the school of hard knocks and hoping to make a passing grade.
HM126

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: btulloh on July 23, 2015, 01:12:23 PM

Making framing lumber with consistent dimensions seems to be kind of an art on a manual mill. 

When you figure it out, you can teach the people that lowes buys from because they don't know how either.

beenthere

If you need some high-strength beams, you gottem there. Otherwise, some real strong 2x4's or some great trim boards. Nice log..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gww

bt
I am consistant to about 1/8th inch and no better.  I get at least one board off enough and out side of that 1/8th inch on almost every log.  That is not counting being sometimes off on the last board.  I find it hard also.  It is ok for a hobby mill where you don't have to count every penny but I would still like to get better.  I am much better then when I started.
gww

WDH

At least those are gonna be some prime 2x4's. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

deadfall

Yeah, it does kind of chafe to think such beautiful wood will be hidden in the walls.  I see some 3/4 stuff for the finish work in that cabin there. 

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on July 23, 2015, 03:43:08 PM
At least those are gonna be some prime 2x4's.
I was thinking the same thing.  Those are good cants.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

Those are some nice looking beams.  Will make some pretty 2x's.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Dave Shepard

6"x10"x20' and 24' white oak sill timbers. EWP rafters and plates. The Turbo 7/39s really like to eat up the old white oak. Too bad it moves so much, but if you leave yourself a little bit for a shim cut, you can get a nice Timber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Today, I started a two part new order for the Park Service. That is the National Park Service. They run places like Saugus Iron Works, in Saugus, MA. If you've never been there you should go or at least watch the videos about the Iron works.

The history there is amazing.

But they have a wooden fence all around the Iron works park and they have been replacing all the bad old lumber with new lumber every year. This year they order 80 pieces. Along with some special wide pieces. Here is a shot of the wide ones.

On the bottom is three 16 1/2" wide ones and also there is one 14" wide one and one 15" wide one in this picture. They are all 1 1/4" thick and 12' long, eastern white pine. Some very nice boards, if I do say so myself.

In the back ground of this shot you can see the fence.

Tomorrow, I should put a good dent into the order.

Jim Rogers

PS Dave how is your supply of white oak? I'll pm you.

Magicman

Can't help it, I love WIDE boards.   :)

fishfighter

Jim, what they pouring? Lead?

Didn't even get out the house today. Did way to much yesterday. :'(

Jim_Rogers

deadfall

Didn't get an answer from the neighbor with the thirty ought six.  I decided to change the hook  angle for some big American chestnut limbs that came crashing down last summer. 

These were on a hundred year old tree that was fire killed on one side around 1970 when the farmhouse it stood next to burned down.  Three limbs all let go at the same time, from the same place on the tree.  These limbs were mostly grown there after the fire.  The fire damage didn't leave enough holding wood for three big limbs.  One of them dead-centered a cast iron and wood bench.  The other two mashed a disc golf basket cockeyed. 

I cut one seven foot piece today and it had 44 years of nearly knotless growth.  I started out by putting a 12'+ limb on the mill and taking it back off, as it was just going to be too crooked for taking whole. I pulled it back off and set it aside to decide where to buck it. 

Here's the tree today, all in flower.

Here's the fire damaged side from where the house stood.  You can still see the kids' ladder nails that went to their tree house.  That trunk is full of nails and honeybees.  The limbs were connected at the upper right.

Just made it all 8/4 and got four slabs.

This cut went down the center.  It's about 12 inches between that thin sapwood. 

Here's a picture of it I shot from the porch one morning a few years ago.

Happy for no reason.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 23, 2015, 08:10:43 PM
6"x10"x20' and 24' white oak sill timbers. EWP rafters and plates. The Turbo 7/39s really like to eat up the old white oak. Too bad it moves so much, but if you leave yourself a little bit for a shim cut, you can get a nice Timber.

I got some too [W Oak] getting more next week. 8) 8)

And a little hemlock  :D

The next load of W oak will be long stuff.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

What will you do with the short white oak logs?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!