iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deere 440d winch issue

Started by justincase, December 22, 2014, 07:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justincase

Wondering if anyone has had this problem. My skidder sits most of the summer and this fall before I moved it to a job I checked functions of everything. Winch came in, let out, and then wouldn't hold. Took cover off and springs were stretched way out like it sat in the out position (which shouldn't happen when machine is off winch locks). Put new springs on moved it to a job and it has sat for close to 2 weeks because it's so wet. Decided to try to cut today and First hitch same thing. Springs stretched out again and won't hold. Pulled cover and can't seem to see any problem. Put an old set of springs that aren't stretched quite as bad but won't hold and made a few twitches and didn't act up. Gonna try new springs tomorrow but hope it cures itself. Springs are getting expensive.

beenthere

Maybe those springs are not the right ones, as the correct length springs should withstand being stretched and not take on a set (IMO).
Springs that are the correct ones may be hard to find. Do you know the history of the springs over the years, and anything about how close these new ones are to the "original" ones?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ga jones

Take measurements of them collapsed and extended. Did you work it with the cover off? Watch it and see if the plunger is going all the way to the bottom of the push cylinder.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

The springs do stretch far. If it sits. A lot it may be rust on the drum. Or the band is shot. They get contaminated
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

346xp

I had the same issues wih my 440 the band looked like new but would not work. Ended up getting a new one and it works fine now.

justincase

Worked the skidder today with cover off and 2 new springs and no trouble. Very strange that this happened twice in a short period of time with new springs. Unfortunately with the amount of rain forecasted I will be lucky to be back at it next week mid week. Not a very good winter here so far. I won't feel guilty taking time off during Christmas at least.

ga jones

Sounds more like a band problem to me.

Thank You Sponsors!