iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conservation in NZ from an American's perspective.

Started by Ianab, December 21, 2014, 01:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Interesting article I came across the other day. Written by an American visiting NZ, and figuring out why Conservation groups here in NZ work so differently to pretty much any other country. Most useful conservation thing you can do in NZ is go out and  kill something cute and furry.  :D

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/22/big-kill
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gspren

Very interesting reading. I visited in NZ back in the early 70s and luckily I wasn't cute or cuddly looking so I survived.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

fishpharmer

Fascinating article.  I did not realize that NZ had no native mammals.  Ambitious endeavor to restore such a huge but very unique ecosystem.  :rifle:

Honestly, I expected the article to be more critical of the eradication process.  Now I need a few A24's around the feed room.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Well let's see.  You could import some snakes to eat the rats...........
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on December 23, 2014, 10:19:58 PM
Well let's see.  You could import some snakes to eat the rats...........

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong  ;) :D

Some of the local wildlife has adapted quite well, and you see more Tui and Kereru birds in suburban gardens than you do in the bush. More flowering trees and berries there. And they are fast and smart enough to dodge the predators.

But other species have lived for so long without mammalian predators they have no defences and get wiped out. Then many of the forest trees also rely on birds and insects for pollination and spreading seeds. Rims tree seeds generate about 90% better if they have been through a bird or insects gut. So the whole forest system relies on those critters being there.

Clearing the main islands of predators is still a pipe dream, but the results on the smaller islands show how great it would be if it could be done.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thewoodman

Conservation in NZ is all about killing critters. I used to trap possums for a living and it was a great life style, but the market was flooded by cut price contractors and it fell to bits.

Ianab...  I think you would most likely know some of my family to by the way!
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Thank You Sponsors!