iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had to.............................

Started by blade69001, December 20, 2014, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blade69001

my first weekend with the mill I figured out I need a faster way to do things without tying up my forklift constantly. It rained all day so I went and looked at a bunch of trees a guy wants to get rid of and spent some time with my lead guy Justin in my garage making the first part of a log deck. Each one will be 28" tall and 32" wide. 

The first side.

I still have to get the slide put together and the weld ground  and the whole thing painted but here is the start.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Tree Dan

looks good and strong...Are you useing gasless wire?... looks that way.
Looking forward to the finish.

Cheers
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

drobertson

you have to do what you have to do, not sure on what this is, but I'm sure it worked,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Looking good. :)

Dan: Most definatly flux-core wire.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

bandmiller2

Wow Blades, admirable but a little overkill with some expensive steel tube. Being rather cheap I made two super duty wood sawhorses from oak. The top are 4x6" legs 2x4" about 8' long. They have worked well for 12 years and can be moved by one person. As a side benefit most of the length I can use a metal detector to check for tramp metal. Good job mate are you going to have a hinged piece in front to roll the logs on your mill.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

blade69001

More crappy weather it rained off and on again today so I went back into the garage instead of going and cutting wood all day today. Yes it is beefy Frank, I will be moving it in and out of my shop with a forklift because when I use the 15 i have to set it up in the parking lot, I do not have room in the shop for it. 
I used 3x4x3/16 box and 2.5x2.5 for the slider which I am using instead of a hinged piece. TO make the slider work I welded two pieces of 1x1 angle together and inserted them in the rectangle tubes. The square tubes can now slide easy on the peaks of the angles. I still need to clean up my work and paint it but the first section is done.
I also have it in mind that I can come back with some sprockets, chain and a drive system to make this a live deck but for now this will do.
Flux cored .035 gas disconnected.

Here I have the bottom of the slider greased.

Here is a side view with the slide in.

Slide out

And here is a shot of the angles going in the rectangular tube I am calling them the slid rails. They are 50" long into the tube.
The slides themselves are only 45" long.

blade69001

Now if it would just quit raining I might get to take that Softail out for a year end ride.
Sean P.

Kipper

Looks good !! With the price of steel and aluminum so high I rarely break out the welding machines anymore. What color are you going to paint it?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Tree Dan

Make sure you get some action shots of this riggens In action 8)
Me being a new Sewer has no Idea what this Is for 10/4 :snowball: :P
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

thecfarm

@Tree Dan It's a log deck to put his logs onto. The sliders he is talking about will be pulled out to roll a log onto the mill,than pushed back into the tubing so he can walk by. A mighty fine good idea. I think he will or should have the deck a few inches higher than the mill. I kinda have the same idea. But with 2 logs and 2 pieces of flat stock.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blade69001

Couldn't have said it better. Here is a pic of a live log deck
http://www.baker-online.com/Images/Photos/ConveyorsLogDecks/Conveyors-Log_Decks_Log_Infeed_DeckXLqU.jpg

Cfarm, I have about a half of an inch drop from the deck to the mill deck I was thinking that would be enough for me to work by hand with a cant hook. If or when I do make it a "Live deck" then I will hing a roll over leg for the transition instead of the slides.
Kipper, The color is still undecided. I want something bright, just not the same orange as the mill, maybe a Red just not sure yet.
Sean P.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!