iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess that tree/Another log gathering adventure

Started by Ocklawahaboy, December 20, 2014, 09:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

Thursday afternoon came and it was time for me to quit my job, just like Magic Man, of course I've got back to it after the first of the year too.  It also meant that it was time for another log loading adventure.  My first stop was at Oscar Scherer State park, one of the prettiest ones I've been to in FL.  The 2nd pic is the view from the picnic table in my site.  No logs loaded here - just a really nice place to spend the night.

It was great to have an evening by the fire eating smoked mullet dip and having a bit of barley, malt, and not very many hops. The weather was just about spot on perfect.  Cold enough to keep the bugs down but only about 48 for a low so still very pleasant. 

The next day it was up bright and early to drive another couple hours south a pick up a couple of logs from one tree.  They were in a back yard - ugh.  There was a vacant lot katty-cornered behind and we got permission to drive in the other neighbor's lawn.  Could only get the truck within about 35 ft of the log and it was on the other side of a hedge row that only had about a 5 ft gap in it.  Plywood, PVC rollers, come-alongs and ramps and it only took about 2 hrs to get the two pieces (8ft and 5ft) loaded.

I rewarded my hard work with a lunch of fried livers, greens and dumplins - yum!

After that it was back to Wesley Chapel to get another Uhaul and pick up the remainder of the cypress that was supposed to be disposed of and wasn't.  Got done with that just before sundown and headed home. 

This morning, it was up in the AM to try to tidy up the pick-up-sticks log pile I had left the week before and unload the 7 that I brought home Friday. 

The whole trip went really well.  I forgot the hard-to-find trailer light adapter and was 100mi away when I realized it.  Luckily my smartphone found me one 6 miles ahead of me on the road I was on.  I saw lots of wrecks and break-downs and wasn't involved in any of them.  The 20 year old truck made it to 180K total miles on this trip and didn't miss a beat. 

So now to guess that tree.  I do this for two reasons:
1. It's fun to read everyone's guess.
2. I want to double-check that I properly identified the species as the one that it was advertised as. 

Here's a close-up of the butt end where it came off the stump

Here's a side view of the log
It's the one laying across the Cypress

Here's a view of the small end of the first log, where I had to trim a corner to get the tailgate to shut.

Here's a view of a nob that I had to trim off the 2nd log.

I'll reserve additional hints for if they are really needed.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wetdog

Ocklawahaboy

wetdog

wetdog

Ocklawahaboy

wetdog

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on December 20, 2014, 10:23:05 PM
Quote from: wetdog on December 20, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
Okay, I'm only get one more swing. Mahogany?
That guess is probably closer. 
So does that mean I got a base hit or just a fowl and need to keep swinging?

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: wetdog on December 20, 2014, 10:32:41 PM
Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on December 20, 2014, 10:23:05 PM
Quote from: wetdog on December 20, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
Okay, I'm only get one more swing. Mahogany?
That guess is probably closer. 
So does that mean I got a base hit or just a fowl and need to keep swinging?
You still struck out but you should have a better chance your next at bat. :)

Swatson

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Ocklawahaboy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ocklawahaboy

Ocklawahaboy

A couple of hints.  This tree has been down a few months so the color isn't what you'd expect from a fresh cut. 
It is quite hard.

SAnVA

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Mark W

WDH

Is it a native hardwood or a foreign imposter?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: WDH on December 21, 2014, 08:05:17 AM
Is it a native hardwood or a foreign imposter?
This would be a foriegn imposter.  There are varieties from several continents.  If it is what the owner said it is, the color is faded from oxidation.  The bark, shape, grain etc seemed to match pics I found online.  I never saw the leaves.

Chuck White

Don't know, but it's a nice whack.

Could it be a Palm tree?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Chuck White on December 21, 2014, 08:55:48 AM
Don't know, but it's a nice whack.

Could it be a Palm tree?

I need to find some good palms to saw.  One of my favorite "woods" is palm.  This is not that.

Mooseherder

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ocklawahaboy

I didnt see that guess... nope. 
The country of origin is not in the name but sometimes used to identify the subspecies.

dchiapin

Ocklawahaboy

Nothing to do with china.  supposedly this is the Indian, as in subcontinent, variety.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Swatson

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

dchiapin

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Swatson on December 21, 2014, 02:19:30 PM
Last guess for me and I'm out...Rosewood?
That is what I was told it was and what I tentatively believe it to be.  not the deep red color you see in images o fresh cuts but images of tables, instruments etc have the rich brown color mine does.  we'll see what it looks like milled.

dchiapin

try cutting some thicker slabs like 3", should make some nice turning stock for a wood lathe "thinking bowls". Even though it is a catagory 1 invasive, looks like some really nice wood for odd work.

Ron Wenrich

Some of that tropical hardwood changes color after the air hits it.  I was at a mill that was cutting cocobolo.  It came off the mill a bright orange.  It dries to a dark brown. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Swatson

Purple heart turns brown too, eventually.  I turned a pen out of purple heart, and let it oxidize to a nice purple then finished it with CA.  I was still kinda new at making pens and that one I gave to my wife to see how the finish held up and she really liked it but it lived in her purse.  A couple years later she told me she must have lost her purple pen because she couldn't find it and she asked me when I gave her the plain brown one. :D :D

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: dchiapin on December 21, 2014, 04:32:41 PM
try cutting some thicker slabs like 3", should make some nice turning stock for a wood lathe
Thats my next quandry.  I Was planning on some turning stock but I was also wondering if I could get some tonewood out of it.  want some 1" stock too.   

Kasba

When I turn purple heart I use something with a UV inhibitor( Armorall ) or a car wax containing it. People laugh at the idea, but I have some cabinet door handles that are about 15 years old I made for a customer and they are still as purple as they were when I first turned them.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Kasba on December 21, 2014, 07:35:10 PM
When I turn purple heart I use something with a UV inhibitor( Armorall ) or a car wax containing it. People laugh at the idea, but I have some cabinet door handles that are about 15 years old I made for a customer and they are still as purple as they were when I first turned them.
Ideas like that are why I read these forums.  I best that would work on ERC too.

Kasba

I have never worked with ERC but it would be worth a try. good luck
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Swatson

Yeah UV inhibitors help purple heart keep its color.  I know now but still have a brown pen from when I didnt... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!