iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The idea has finally made some progress

Started by Waterford Woodworks, December 20, 2014, 04:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterford Woodworks

I finally got a chance to start working on the hunting cabin I have talked about building for the last 3 years. It is 12x16 with 1 foot of overhang all the way around 12/12 pitch. It has a loft with standing head room in the middle and at this point is all poplar. I think I will be using cedar for the interior walls but time will tell. As of now me and my dad have 5 days in it from dropping the trees to its current state. There just isn't enough hours in the day when your trying to juggle it all.

2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Sprucegum

rasman57

Well done so far!  That looks well planned and quite cozy!

downsouth

Looks good to me. I'd say 5 days you guys have a lot done so far.

Dave Shepard

Looks great! Is that siding tapered, or just regular boards?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ocklawahaboy

I would call that a first class accommodation.

thecfarm

Ayup,a mighty fine job. If your Dad and you can spare 5 days,I need one just like that.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Nice, real glad you got it going, have one in the plans here as well, it seems like one of those things much like a mechanic is the last one to fix his wife's car? or the plumber with a leak that is never fixed! ;D  that should be a very nice retreat for all just about every occasion.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Nice.  I have a soft spot in my heart for cabins.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Waterford Woodworks

Thanks all, the siding is half inch by ten inch. I did the same for a shed for my granddad 3 years ago and it seems to have held up really well with out the taper. I start at the bottom with a 1/2"x2" strip around the base to give the first piece of siding the right lean.
I just finished some presents today and think I'm ready for Christmas. I know the Ohio state and Indiana university don't go together but I had to have an arch rival and it just so happens my brother in law is a big Ohio state fan. Didn't get a picture of the hole thing but it is a cornhole set. And also a couple of 8 foot toboggans. Pray we get snow soon.

"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Waterford Woodworks

The cabin will be multi-function. Hunting/getaway/sugar shack for me and the wife and three girls. Last year was our first attempt to make maple syrup and it came out pretty good so... I'm hoping to have the cabin done (or at least usable) by tapping time. We would make the syrup outside but at least have a nice warm cabin to come into for the little hands that get cold. Plus there are sugar maple trees all around this cabin so I won't  have to carry the sap very far. Within 50 feet there are about a dozen maples which should suit our family just fine.

justallan1

I like the cabin. It should serve you well.
I'm eager to see more pictures as it gets closer to being done.

Allan

isawlogs

Nice job on the cabin, what one needs a place to stay dry and a whole wack of comfort.
The tobogan is awsome. I bult two a couple of years ago, wanted to make a few more for Christmas, but time got in the way.

Any pics of your bending template??   Did you steam to bend and if so any pics ???   

:)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tree Dan

Wow I like that cabin...Great job! :christmas:
Is the lumber green?
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Waterford Woodworks

Hey isawlogs, I didn get a picture of my jig for the toboggan sleds but got a video where it can be seen. Sorry I did get back to you sooner.
http://youtu.be/fUHb_SBlQDU

Don_Papenburg

Are those steamed on the end that you bent or just fresh cut wet tree boards?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

isawlogs

Yes those are deffinitively steamed, reason for the gloves  ;)

That there is the same mold I built to make my tobogan, that was a nice project. I was going to make another this winter, but  ;)I have so many things that need get done, there's always next winter.  :new_year:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!