iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tire chain links

Started by PotterBuck, December 20, 2014, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PotterBuck

I recently purchased a 79 230d Timberjack.  It has bearpaw chains on all 4.  I am probably going to take the back 2 off.  They are in decent condition but there are several links that need replaced(worn).  What do you recommend using to replace the links.  The front chains are fairly loose also.  I have access to a chain tensioner. What are your thoughts on how tight to run the chains??

PotterBuck

This is the first skidder that I have owned, probably try to pick you experienced guys brains from time to time. I appreciate the help.

Jhenderson

I just use a good quality shackle to replace worn links. Try to tighten the center of the chains first, then the sides. Same number of links inner and outer to keep them straight.

BargeMonkey

Do you have access to pieces of chain ? I would replace the link in between the paws and use a decent shackle. Depends how worn they are, if they are really down if you run them super tight they will break. Ive spent days fixing chain, and to be honest when they get so far gone its not worth it, unless youve got nothing else to do.

Thank You Sponsors!