iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know what species of tree this is?

Started by sr73087, December 20, 2014, 09:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr73087

I am in interior SW CT. This was in the middle of about an acre of woods next to the house. Anyone know what species it is? Sorry most of the bark fell off while cutting it up, but I have a pile of it if that I can take a picture of if it helps.

mesquite buckeye

Slightly weathered, eh? ;D

This should be fun.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

White ash??  Fraxinus americana  Just a guess. I have no idea about the end grain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Make a smooth cut on the end grain, and get a good clear picture of the grain. Appears to have been waxed on the ends... what was used? Are they destined for firewood or something else .. maybe depending on the species id?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sr73087

It was going to be personal firewood. It was simply cut with a chainsaw.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: beenthere on December 20, 2014, 11:57:58 AM
Make a smooth cut on the end grain, and get a good clear picture of the grain. Appears to have been waxed on the ends... what was used? Are they destined for firewood or something else .. maybe depending on the species id?

I think that waxy look is just punky wood.

Do they have bitternut up there?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sr73087

Some pieces are worse than others. I'm new to all of this. How much rot or softness is acceptable to still be burnable? I just split some of it and a few pieces had blacker spots on them but were still fairly solid. Not really sure what is still ok.

beenthere

Won't hurt anything to burn it. Just if decayed, won't get as much heat compared to solid wood. But no harm to do it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on December 20, 2014, 09:39:49 AM
White ash??  Fraxinus americana  Just a guess. I have no idea about the end grain.

My friend Ray is exactly right.  It is ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wdmn

Yeah that looks like the slightly punky white ash I've been bucking.

WDH

Notice the green lichen.  You see it on all ash bark down here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

If it splits easy it's Ash if it is difficult to split it's Elm.. .  Kind of to big for modern day Elm tho.
Think like a farmer.

bitternut

Its a dead elm. I have several in my woods that look just like that one that are still standing. About the time that almost all of the bark falls off they seem to finally fall down. I would bet the ranch on it being elm.

WDH

You just lost the ranch  :D. 

If it is elm, then the latewood pores will be arranged in wavy bands.

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on December 22, 2014, 07:23:39 AM
You just lost the ranch  :D. 

then the latewood pores will be arranged in wavy bands.

Thats the way they look to me ;D
   Ok  what are latewood pores?  :)
Think like a farmer.

beenthere

Check out these elm wood pics.
Shows the wavy bands WDH mentions, and compares the elm to ash.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/elm-wood-hard-and-soft/
south central Wisconsin

boo 84

I would say buy the looks of things probably white ash or possibly elm . If it splits easy with a maul it's ash if you can even get it split with a maul and it is stringy inside (elm)
Living the DREAM when sawdust is in your pockets

thecfarm

WDH is the guy that I want on my side when it comes to IDing trees. He might need some help picking out what is good for groceries,  ;D  but the tree part he really shines.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray,

I would fry some meat and potatoes for you.

thecfarm

@WDH,I feel a lot better now. I just might come for a visit.  :D

mesquite buckeye

mmmmmmm- grits and runny eggs with sausage -mmmmmmmm

All it needs for perfection is a nice shake of ground up chiltepines. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Looks to me like the wood is ring porous which would rule out yellow poplar as it is diffuse porous.  Has to do with the size and arrangement of the pores in the annual ring.

Holmes

sr73087 have you tried splitting this wood yet? Did it split easy and straight or hard and stringy?  I want to find out if WDH is right or?  ???  :P  :o
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!