iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Decision

Started by Woodheatin, December 19, 2014, 08:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodheatin

We had purchased a Classic 6048 a few weeks ago, but after researching and reading my wife and I started to like the e classic 2400. We couldn't decide for sure, so we got our money back and are back to trying to decide. Any and all information/advice is greatly appreciated!

stratford 50

Purchased the e-classic 2300 in 2008, after initial learning curve this furnace does all I could ask and more. If you run the furnace as it suppose to be with dry wood and a consistent cleaning schedule it will heat a very large area.

Farmerjw

I have so many things going on, drive a school bus route, teach shop in same school system, we raise freezer pork and beef and I farm as much as possible with my team of Norwegian Fjords.  Thus, we replaced our 14 year old CB with a brand spanking new one this year before the mandatory emissions go in effect.  Nothing wrong with our old one other than 14 years on it and didn't want the hassle of the emissions.  Some of my wood might be green, wet, rotten aka spalted!, and thus I made my decision.  Either way, you will be so far ahead of an oil bill it won't be funny.  It is one of THE best decisions we made for our home and farm.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

northidaho

For what its worth I put in an eclassic 2400 this fall and it is all its cracked up to be.

JJ

I have e-2300 I had to buy because Maine implemented the 2014 emission regs in 2008 (always jumping the gun).
At the time I was unhappy as it cost about $3000 more, but have been glad not to have all the smoke I see coming out of the 6048's in my town.

I would recommend the cleaner burning stove.

JJ

Mn woodchuck

I would really like to get everyone's advise ( thoughts ) on what is the best OWB today ?? I am looking and it is very hard to get real nuts and bolts comparisons  I live on a farm and am busy. Don't want to be nursing a stove all the time. I have a indoor wood burner now. Want to eliminate the dust and carrying in wood. 
Thanks for your input
to soon oldt to late schmart!
3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

petefrom bearswamp

I am too old to jump here in but my 4436 is leaking badly for a second time now after 9 yrs.
I did all the required maintainance and would buy another one if they were available here in NY, but NOOOOO!
Only eclassics available here now and am too old to spend 10 gs. and have the hassle of the learning curve.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JJ

I load it 2x a day, about 7am after light, and 7pm when I get home.
shovel out reaction chamber every other weekend.
once a month clean heat exchanger with brush, and ash from top of turbulators.

I think any stove you will have to have regular loadings, cleaning cycle, and some amount of repairs (active system with moving parts, unlike indoor wood stove).

I would not consider it nursing, and keeps all of the wood/ash mess outside.

No time for this, burn oil or gas.

JJ

thecfarm

It's hard to say what OWB is the best. The only way to know which kind is better, is to have one kind,than take it out and buy another kind. But I have a Heatmor. Really the only reason I bought it,because at the time I brought mine there was no switches,solenoids,nothing but a firebox and then you put the controllers of your choice on it. A very simple design.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mn woodchuck

I fill about 6.30 am and around 8:00 pm   Clean ash once a week
That's about it. My wood isn't always the driest but I'm working on getting cut further ahead
So that doesn't sound to tough to handle
to soon oldt to late schmart!
3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

spyder68

Portage and main seems to make a good gasser.

346xp

We have an ec2400 it burns super clean I fill it at 6am then again at 9ish pm. clean it out every two weeks or so.we love it best $ we have spent on heat.

gspren

I have a Portage & Main conventional, (non-gasser) and really like it but it's the only one I have ever had so if I had a Central I would probably like it also. I went with P&M because I never see sparks out the stack of P&M stoves and that is important to me.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

karlk

coxy

as far as them leaking at some point they are all going to leak  :)

cb6048

I've had a classic 6048 since 2008 no problems it will burn any wood, I am the guy always behind on cutting so lots of green wood. I stuff my stove once at 5pm and reload at 5pm the next day. I only load 2 footers single stack just in front of the door no wood in the back of the stove.  It heats a 2500sqft house with 16' cathedrals as well as the hot water, house does have fhw radiant heat. I am very happy and impressed with this stove. The E stove would not work for me as I am lame at being ahead on my wood I love my stump burner! I think if your always ahead on your wood and its good and dry the E stoves burn less wood, but thats not me.
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

hedgerow

I installed a Garn nine years ago. All the hype about the gasers. They do burn cleaner but I don't think you save that much wood like they think you do. The garn runs a little different as you burn for two to three hours to raise the water temp close to 210 burn is done then you live on warm water. I load twice a day normal and three times when it get cold. If I was going to go to wood heat now I would build my own with a large door and a larger water capacity so I wouldn't have to handle as many pieces of wood a year . I live on a farm with no neighbors so smoke is no problem. I burn 10 to 15 cords a year I run year around to heat my domestic hot water. The Garn was $15,000 back then and I don't think the wood saving has been worth the extra cost the unit was.

bobby s

Quote from: hedgerow on January 01, 2015, 06:45:49 PM
I installed a Garn nine years ago. All the hype about the gasers. They do burn cleaner but I don't think you save that much wood like they think you do. The garn runs a little different as you burn for two to three hours to raise the water temp close to 210 burn is done then you live on warm water. I load twice a day normal and three times when it get cold. If I was going to go to wood heat now I would build my own with a large door and a larger water capacity so I wouldn't have to handle as many pieces of wood a year . I live on a farm with no neighbors so smoke is no problem. I burn 10 to 15 cords a year I run year around to heat my domestic hot water. The Garn was $15,000 back then and I don't think the wood saving has been worth the extra cost the unit was.
hedgerow, Do you have to stay around and keep feeding the Garn for two or three hours until the temp. comes up or can you load and walk away? Though I'm happy in my 5th year with my e-classic, I've always thought the Garn would be my next boiler when the time comes(hopefully not for a while). Looks to be very well made and they seem to last forever.

hedgerow

Quote from: bobby s on January 02, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
hedgerow, Do you have to stay around and keep feeding the Garn for two or three hours until the temp. comes up or can you load and walk away? Though I'm happy in my 5th year with my e-classic, I've always thought the Garn would be my next boiler when the time comes(hopefully not for a while). Looks to be very well made and they seem to last forever.
I don't have to stay around I just load it full light it and set the timer for three hours is what usually will burn the full load to ashes.

bobby s

Quote from: hedgerow on January 02, 2015, 07:06:48 PM
Quote from: bobby s on January 02, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
I don't have to stay around I just load it full light it and set the timer for three hours is what usually will burn the full load to ashes.
That doesn't sound too bad if one load of wood and maybe 15 minutes of time to load will bring the water temp. up to where it needs to be. Thanks for the info.

JimBod.

I am on my second season with an e2400.  My first OWB.  I need to do a better job keeping up with ash removal.  I had a pump and a water level sensor replaced under warranty.  Overall I'm happy with it. Its a little more maintenance than I expected.  I'm still in the learning curve. If I could do it over I think I would go with the simpler classic model.  It seams like my friends with the older models have less issues and maintenance.
WM LT 30
Stihl 441 cm, 031av, ms 250, 015.
Case 1840
E 2400

KWood255

I have had a Central Boiler 6048 since 2010. The stove has been great. I heat a 2800sq ft home, and a 30x50 garage with in-floor heat, as well as my domestic hot water. I am in NW Ontario Canada with long/cold winters. I would replace the stove with the same model if required, although I would consider the dual-fuel option likely with propane. 

When the temperature is around -20c or colder, I will fill it twice in a 24hr period, but never more. When the winter weather in mild, it will be once a day. I almost never split any wood, and often burn unseasoned wood.

I have noticed that dried pine or spruce will outlast green birch or poplar. My favourite wood to burn is dry pine. It flares up quickly and leaves almost no ashes.  When burning dry pine, I will only shovel the ashes out about once a year.

My only complaint is the customer service from CB.  The few tims I have called, I was instructed to call the dealer. I was hardly given the time of day from the rep at CB.  Otherwise, no complaints. Hope this helps.

Thank You Sponsors!