iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

axe handles

Started by Glenn, December 18, 2014, 09:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I was looking at the axe handles in princess auto today - 14" hatchet,  splitting maul and 36" axe.  They weren't perfect but what was puzzling to me was that they said genuine hickory but they didn't seem like hickory to me.  Kinda looked like aspen - very white with olive grey heart wood or mineral streak ??  Does anyone know if these are really hickory ?

Swatson

I cant say as I can recognize good hickory.  All I do is look for a handle with good straight grain and of course no cracks.  If you dont see a good grain running length wise through the handle (looks kinda like oak but usually finer grain) then it may not be hickory.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

beenthere

Can't tell from here without pics of the handles and the end grain.
If you picked them up, then the heft of each should tell aspen from hickory. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Glenn on December 18, 2014, 09:50:16 PM
I was looking at the axe handles in princess auto today - 14" hatchet,  splitting maul and 36" axe.  They weren't perfect but what was puzzling to me was that they said genuine hickory but they didn't seem like hickory to me.  Kinda looked like aspen - very white with olive grey heart wood or mineral streak ??  Does anyone know if these are really hickory ?
coulda been ash?

Glenn

Hmmm   We don't have any hickory around here except in store bought handles.  There is a grain to it but the colour seems off.  I'll try one out and see how it holds up !

mesquite buckeye

Used to be they just used the sapwood of clear regrowth hickory, usually shagbark. Now we seem to get a lot more heartwood and I think they are using the secondary hickory species with darker wood. We need WDH here. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

I'd check the pile real well and make sure you get a straight one, the grain running through the length and not veering off to the side, and the rings parallel to the striking direction. You will have a good one then. Let the other guys who don't know the difference buy the ones that aren't perfect. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowball1: :snowfight1: :christmas:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BradMarks

I have a little insight on replacement handles.  First, if it says hickory, in all likelihood it is.  These days, many grades of hickory (and probably many types of hickory) are used for handles. Anywhere from what I call white ("AA") to reddish color (lesser grade) are made into handles.  According to the experts, color of wood means little in terms of strength, tightness of growth rings is more important.  And surprisingly, there is tremendous variation of grain orientation in the handles, no matter who the manufacturer is.  Seems handle makers make handles and are supplied the blanks made by others, and therefore do not have direct control over the grain direction.  So that is why you may see "poor grain" even in brand new tools. Of note: Ash is not used in striking tools, but is used for shovel handles primarily.

Dave Shepard

It's tough to find good handles these days. When I do find a good one, it is usually a Link Handle brand. The handle manufacturers should have control over those blanks. If they don't meet spec, then they shouldn't buy them. ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

I don't think you can buy a good handle anymore I make my own, the last one I make is out of Kentucky coffee. the grain looked good but I even cracked it the other day. I wrapped a few spots with gorrila tape and everything is fine  ;D.
Bill

Glenn

I ageww with everything you guys are saying.  Time to make my own - just wish i had more time !

Dave Shepard

I was looking at an axe handle at the hardware store a couple of years ago, and asked what the wood was. The owner said "North American hardwood". :D It turned out to be hickory. Most that I see have both hardwood and sapwood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HiTech

Househandle.com   anything you need shipped right to you. Good quality handles.

Phorester

Agree with HiTech mostly. 
I've ordered a couple dozen handles from them over the last few years, mostly full size axe but also hatchet to military pick (about 18" long, looks like a miniature pick handle, for a little WWI era army pick they strapped to their pack) to carpenter hammer to ball peen hammer to hatchet to brick hammer.

However... I also ordered 2 youth axe handles for boy scout axes, and they were just a regular full size axe handle with the end of the handle cut way down to fit in the smaller youth axe head.  I was pretty disappointed. Every thing else though, I was well satisfied.  They have a large variety of handles for tools I've never heard of. Good prices, fast delivery. Check'em out if you need odd tool handles or a quantity of handles. Much cheaper than the local hardware store. They also have packs of both metal and wooden wedges at very good prices.

Thank You Sponsors!