iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Favorite to QS is Older Red Oak

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 18, 2014, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I really like Q Sawing Sycamore but its just not available around here.

But in my area, Older Red Oak is my favorite. I have some 30 plus dia. RO logs I've been saving for 2-3 years.
I've kept them off the ground and the sap wood is a spongy spalt. Perfect! The heart wood is has hard as a rock.
The rays and flecks of an older log just seem to be a much deeper, richer chocolate color. I have compared the older QS lumber with green QS lumber. The older just seems much more beautiful.

This log was a 31 inch. I sawed 5 center boards out of the middle at 22 1/2" wide and 1-9/16 thick.
The very center board I sawed the pith out and got 2 - 10 inch boards. The other 4 - 22 inch boards will really make a nice table top.
I did QS legs to be turned or worked into legs. All in all, it turned out really nice and will be sold as a table package.

Check out the grain.....just makes my mouth water.  :D

I did have some help. I met a new friend the other day. One of our State Troopers just came out of the blue the other day. He bought some Cedar from me......and he wanted to learn about the mill and the difference in wood. He helps me now on his days off.......its a great stress relief from his stressful job and also saves my back. I pay him in lumber for his shop ;D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I like it! I've never intentionally quartered any red oak. I plan on building an inventory of native hardwoods starting this summer. QSRO is now on the list. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Looking good.  I know where you got that octagon from.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

And a prefect sticker job David that is good looking wood
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: goose63 on December 18, 2014, 06:01:42 PM
And a prefect sticker job David that is good looking wood

I likes to be neat.....and if I go to another place that needs neatness......I fix it.  :D

Dave Shepard

You didn't think he was going to post a picture of bad stickering around this crowd, did you?  :D He'd get roasted BBQ'd.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Holmes

Nice job that is some very nice looking wood
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 18, 2014, 06:05:21 PM
You didn't think he was going to post a picture of bad stickering around this crowd, did you?  :D He'd get roasted BBQ'd.  :o

Ain't that the truth Dave! Tough Crowd when it comes to stickering!  smiley_hanged

Lumber Grader

Wow. What a great post and great photos you shared with us!  Beautiful rift and quatersawn grain photos!  I have always said that when you open up a log and start sawing lumber, you are seeing a little bit of heaven.  There is nothing quite like sawing logs and seeing what you get!!!  Merry Christmas to all FF Members and Happy New Year!

Dave Shepard

My theory is, if you aren't going to sticker it right, then just put it in the wood boiler. It will save all that work, and you would just end up burning it anyway.

This one should have been converted directly into btu's:

flatrock58

Beautiful OAk.  That looks about like the red oak we sawed last month.  Ended up with 1100 bf of mostly quarter sawn and rift sawn boards from 6-8" wide.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

Mighty fine.  Mighty fine.  Warms my heart and makes me jealous  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

That is premium lumber. :) :)   And to saw it in sweatshirt weather...... what more can you ask for?

I don't see any timbore or end treatment........ no bugs either??..... you really can't ask for anything more. ::) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

YellowHammer

I doesn't get any prettier than that. 8)  I have also noticed that the older logs seem to have a more distinctive QS color.  I just am never patient enough, I saw them up as soon as I get them. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on December 18, 2014, 09:35:55 PM
That is premium lumber. :) :)   And to saw it in sweatshirt weather...... what more can you ask for?

I don't see any timbore or end treatment........ no bugs either??..... you really can't ask for anything more. ::) :)

I'll paint the ends tomorrow. I was just to tired this evening.....it was Shrimp night.  ;D

FarmingSawyer

I loves to saw me some quartersawn RO. The first time I ever got a log big enough to bother with I cut it into some slabs and 4x4s for legs. The grain on those 4xs is amazing. The really warped pieces which came about from not knowing what I was doing, and the marginal 4xs ended up going to the fire department for cribbing as they should be virtually indestructible......

That was surely a beautiful log you got hold of. It's amazing how RO keeps its shape. I ran my tractor into a duff log in the woods one day expecting it to dissolve into dust. Stopped the tractor dead with a jolt. I bucked out a 16 footer about 12" good at the top and sure enough it was a RO. Must have been down for 15 years or so as no one had worked in that part of the woods for at least that long. Cut out some nice boards with amazing flecks.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice job David.  With a few more years of practice under your belt, you just might make a half-way decent sawyer. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

I like it that you cut the boards thick.  Makes them more valuable. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I assume the wood was hard. What kind of blades did you use and did you have to use several in that log?  Beautiful boards and nice stack. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

The heartwood in a three year old Red Oak will still be wet.  I would use my normal 10° blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

78NHTFY

Awesome looking RO ray & fleck!  I find that dead/blowdown cherry trees will also punk rot on the outside but the inside will be perfect and make for richer colored cherry wood.  Happy Holidays and  :new_year: to everyone.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

whitebread

My red oak will spalt in the heart after about a year. But I do love the look of the rays and flecks.
Stihl 460, 290, and 250. Granberg CS mill and Mini-mill. New Holland TL-80 with 820TL loader and grapple.

FarmingSawyer

Welcome to the Forum Whitebread! Tell us about yourself......fill in your profile so we know where your at. What sort of mill you running? How long have you been at it?
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

customsawyer

That is some nice looking wood. You done fine grasshopper. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, whitebread.  How about adding your location to your profile and starting an intro thread and sharing your sawing interest?    :)

Thank You Sponsors!