iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loblolly or SYP

Started by cntryby, December 18, 2014, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cntryby

I suspect it's loblolly but I'm hoping somebody may tell me it's SYP. Either way, it's what I have so it's what I'll use.

Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

cntryby

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 18, 2014, 03:23:43 PM
Safe bet, loblolly is SYP

Yes, thats correct, I guess I should be more technical in my question, are these Pinus palustris or Pinus taeda. There is a bit of difference in the strength, which will factor in when calculating beam size for a timber frame.

I'm a complete newb at this so I'm still just trying to learn as I go.
Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

beenthere

QuoteThere is a bit of difference in the strength, which will factor in when calculating beam size for a timber frame.

Interested in the comment. Where are you seeing a structural grading difference between palustris and taeda?
Is there a chart where the two are factored in to selecting beam sizes for the timber frame?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

curdog

Looks like loblolly to me.

WDH

It is loblolly for sure.  The cone tells the story.  A longleaf cone would be three times as big. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

FascicleFolk

I agree that it looks like a loblolly (Pinus taeda). 

The apparent needle length, needle count (3 per fascicle), bark plates without resin holes, and apparent cone size appear to point toward loblolly.

Magicman

Hello FascicleFolk, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How abut and intro thread and sharing some of your log/wood/sawing interest?   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FascicleFolk

Thanks for the warm welcome, Magicman! 

I looked around, but couldn't find where an intro thread would be best placed.  Any suggestions (I know I'm just missing the topic somewhere around here)?

Magicman

Oh no, not picky here.  Wherever your main interest lies; sawmilling, logging, woodworking, cooking, or the General Board is fine.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FascicleFolk

Thank You Sponsors!