iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what winch is this?

Started by mjeselskis, December 18, 2014, 07:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Thinking about driving 4 hours to check out this skidder. I'm trying to ID this winch and find out if it has any quirks. It may be a gearmatic but I've never seen one with the external bearing.

Any tree farmer experts tell me if it is a c4 or c5?

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mjeselskis

mad murdock

I am by no means an expert, but have been around a few. What engine is in it? That will help pinpoint what it is. It looks to me like a 4, but really hard to tell. Is it a Carco winch? I think later on that is what they put on them.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HiTech

I would say a C4 with a newer style log arch and an older style winch. lol It has the short nose and 8 bolt rims and what appear to be 16.9 x 30 tires, all C4 stuff. The late 60's C4's had a tube steel arch...so I would say this is a 70's model. Not sure on the winch...maybe a Hercules??? Not a bad looking machine if it runs and the price is right.

mjeselskis

The engine is a 353 Detroit. It has 16.9-30 farm tires. Don't know what the axles are

loggah

Looks like a Braden or Tulsa winch to me someone adapted it to the skidder must have a chain drive up to the worm gear,or a hydraulic motor mounted on the shaft.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

smwwoody

that looks like a braden.  they came from the factory on the old C5 pulp wood specials
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

mjeselskis

Anything wrong with a Braden winch? What makes it a pulp wood special? Anything I should look for when i check it out?
Thanks - always appreciate the help

loggah

Well the braden winches i have had you could power in or out.To free spool them you had to manually move a fork to disengage  the drum,then manually reengage it.The other thing is there is no fenders on this machine ,if your on flat ground no problem but a PITA if your bringing wood down hill. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mjeselskis

I've had a Braden winch like that before but it came off a old military truck. This one looks much bigger than those ones. I'll have to ask if this one free spools. I can weld up some fenders if it is to much of a problem.

tantoy

Looks like a nice  machine (love the look of tree farmers and Garrett). I am curious on price but don't tell unless you made a deal yet.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

bushmechanic

I'd say Braden also. May be a real old C5 cause the axles don't look right for a C4.

mjeselskis

Checked out the skidder this weekend. Looks pretty good, hoping to get it delivered this weekend. Detroit runs great, few welds here and there but nothing unexpected for a 50 yr old machine.

Winch is a Braden, and isn't free spooling well. Any ideas? I forgot to get a model number of the winch, and having a hard time finding info on it.

Thank You Sponsors!