iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

V belt for bandwheel pulleys

Started by Kristiano, December 18, 2014, 05:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristiano

Building a bandsaw mill.

I have an SKF PHP 1-B184-SK QD pulleys (18,75") for bandwheels. I already made a mistake on ordered Goodyear BX56 and BX57 belts. These belt wont form any edge under the sawblade. I found out now that these are B size wheels. Should i opt for C size or CX belt ?

Pulleys:
http://www.skfptp.com/CategoryDetails?productId=371389&languageId=1

Wisconsintimber

I just used B belts on mine.  I think B56.  I know it was the tightest ones I could get stretched on.  I don't know exactly what you mean about the belts forming an edge, but mine protrude above the pulley and form a crown.  The crown is needed for the belt to track properly.

Just a thought. BX belts are heavey dutier and have notches on the inside for better cooling.  If so it seems like the dimensions might be a little different than a straight B belt not making it protrude above the pulley???

47sawdust

I don't know if this is any help but Suffolk Machinery makes custom urethane belts for bandsaw wheels.I had a set on my Kasco mill that worked great.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kristiano

Unfortunately Suffolk Machinery wont ship outside U.S. They do have suitable urethane belts on their stock list. Had to find somebody who do freight forwarding to Europe, Estonia.

I ordered V-belts Goodyear BX56 and BX57. No edge or crown forming.

Magicman

My experience with the Suffolk urethane belts was not satisfactory.  The B57 belts from WM are flat rather than rounded on the top.  They serve me sell.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

If the B belts fit the v good you might have too get the edges of the wheels turned down , I get a C belt first and see how it fits.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kristiano

Thanks for advice. Turning (milling ?) down the wheels was also the Suffolk Machinery advice, but i would prefer suitable V belts if possible. I quess it would not come cheap finding 19" work piece diameter above support capable lathe for machining these wheels, especially has CNC is mainly around. Also the wheels are balanced, if you change the diameter maybe there come the need to do rebalancing.

Hudson sawmills have the same code marking for the wheels 1B184SK ( http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/19-band-wheel-part-1b184sk )
And using HF 56.5 belts (http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/band-wheel-belt-hf-56-5). Now the question might be what are they using B profile or C profile or something else .. ?

I might first have to find the B profile and not BX i have tried. Maybe theres really the differences. When ordering the supplier didnt have B and offered BX instead. These are completely flat and no crown or edge over the wheels.

Thank You Sponsors!