iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How I quartersaw an oak log

Started by Lewisman, December 18, 2014, 03:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewisman

After loading a log onto the mill, I open opposite faces to an overall dimension less than 23".  Relatively careful alignment allows for splitting through the heart.  Then some intense grunting and groaning leaves one half on the mill and the other half on the tractor forks.

The next step is to split into quarters.  As stated above, careful alignment allows for splitting through the heart.  Next, remove a board from each of the faces that are now 90 degrees separated.  These two boards will be the widest resultant pieces after edging.  Also, these two boards should have excellent ray fleck because, if alignment is performed properly, growth rings should be very close to 90 degrees to the exposed face.

I will now spin the chunk 45 degrees such that the heart or pith is up and the growth rings are visually oriented horizontally.  I cut off the top triangle to leave a flat clamping surface for the next step.  This triangle would be ultimately edger waste because it includes the heart which is typically cracked and/or knotty.  At this point I then cut a flat surface on the bark or sapwood side of the chunk.  I then spin the chunk and clamp so the growth rings are vertical.  After removing about half the remaining boards, I'll rotate the chunk 180 degrees, reclamp and complete sawing the chunk.

After all that wrestling, the result is this!

WDH

It looks like your alignment was spot-on perfect. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rasman57

That is  beautiful and interesting too!

mad murdock

Very well done! Some very nice oak there 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

sealark37

It's no surprise that Q-sawn brings a premium for all that work.  Thanks for the pics.    Regards, Clark

woodjunky

I will be trying this, as soon as i find a oak to whack! The neighbor has a HUGE oak he said he wants down. in his yard... I assume there will be some metal. But im considering it. I need some of those fancy oak boards!!!

Tom the Sawyer

Lewisman,

Does this illustrate what you are doing?

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

grweldon

Thank you for the diagram Tom.  I was unclear about what to do after cutting the flat opposite the pith flat.  This makes it crystal clear...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

gfadvm

Tom, Thanks for the informative diagram.  Now if I can just put it where I can find it on my puter (No printer :(

hackberry jake

Great method. I like how you cut the pith off of the lumber before drying. This should make more stable material.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

FarmingSawyer

I just stumbled across this youtube video on quartersawing.....pretty clear explanation although I'm not sure about end for ending the log.....

http://youtu.be/VvUPJPFg4wM
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

kelLOGg

Lewisman, your ray pattern is very dramatic across the whole board. Why is it better than that achieved by flipping the quarters and edging off the pith of the boards? It seems to me that both methods saw the same number of boards perpendicular to the rings but the quarter-flipping method avoids having a beveled edge which must be sawn off.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lewisman

Bob, flipping back and forth b/t faces always gave me several riftsawn boards that were beautiful and straight grained but had poor or non-existent ray fleck.  The method described above yields much better figure as evidenced by the last photo.  Lots of narrow waste pieces result but it's all useful for meat grillin'!

Thank You Sponsors!