iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best gashed tire fixes

Started by thenorthman, December 17, 2014, 09:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenorthman

So the tire I cut 2 years ago has gotten another stick stuck in it, the boot has come mostly loose exposing the tube, its about 4" long and in the main part of the tread.  The plan as it sits now is to throw the spare on, and break her down and fix it "right" this time... just not sure which method I want to use.  have various gauges of steel, conveyor belt, light gauge wire rope, nuts bolts... (round head carriage bolts).

Also after answering the poll question, if you fine folks can lay out some do's and don'ts of this kind of repair it would be most appreciated.  Such as any extra steps to help protect the inner tube from odd forms of friction... etc...
well that didn't work

CCC4

We have a place South of me that vulcanizes big gashes. I think it's pretty expensive though, like maybe $3 or $400. I'm pretty sure its effective on sidewall gashes also.

Maine logger88

The tire I bolted a large thick piece of conveyor belt to the inside has been holding up well. Just do a nice slow taper around the edges and use carriage bolts
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

dutchman

Gemplers is a good source for tire repair materials.
If you look at their repair supplies you might get some more ideas.
I had a rear tractor tire, 90% tread, vulcanized on the side wall.
It's held up for 2 years pulling logs.
Good luck.      http://www.gemplers.com/tire-repair-supplies

Gary_C

At some point you need to decide if you can make more money working at your regular job or working at fixing tires. Your time is not free.

That is something I have had trouble understanding because I can fix most anything except these DanG obsolete printer drivers for Windows 8.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jwilly3879

I hate Windows 8 so I upgraded to Windows 7. It is much better.

Nemologger

Personally I wouldn't fight it Id get another tire...
Clean and Sober

KyLogger

When you operate on such a large scale as do NM and I you find it is much more economical to "gypo fix" stuff. Gotta get every last hour outta stuff you can! We have to save tire money for hyd. oil ;)
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

bushmechanic

I've had as many as four boots on the same tire done with belting and carriage bolts. As Maine Logger88 said taper the edges of your boot down so the tube don't chafe on the sharp edge. I found that a flap disc on the grinder is the bomb for that, but do it outside... very smokey! With any repaired tire I found it will last much longer when put on the front of the machine and keep good tires for the rear. Also there are two thickness of tubes you can buy, don't skimp here get the thicker one it will last much longer.

thenorthman

Quote from: Gary_C on December 18, 2014, 10:40:50 AM
At some point you need to decide if you can make more money working at your regular job or working at fixing tires. Your time is not free.

That is something I have had trouble understanding because I can fix most anything except these DanG obsolete printer drivers for Windows 8.

Oh the decision has been made just a matter of getting enough work infront of me, this tire has only been a problem because of the poor job fixing it the first time.  Didn't know any better then... and really the dump truck has cost more than the skidder in tire repairs... as far as the regular job goes... 220 a day vs 300-600 a day logging... even a bad day in the woods pays better then the straight job
well that didn't work

thenorthman

Well that didn't work ;D

Been slow so didn't get to use it for some time, lasted about 4 hours.

I'm thinking I should have listened and put some carpet in there, I'll tear it apart in a few days and see what really happend.

As for now I found a decent replacement for cheap close by.  The spare I have is about as use full as pushing the logs with a stick.
well that didn't work

redprospector

I hate those 4 hour fixes. Takes 4 hours to fix it, and it last 4 hours.
Sounds like you're at the point with that tire where any more attempts at repair would be chasing nickels and passing up dollars.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thenorthman

May have torn the bead on this last attempt anyways... either way the wheel that came with my new better spare is rotten, so I'll have to tear it off anyway, though with the calcium in it I'll probably end up paying someone to do it.

I'm torn now the calcium is so nice that I'm thinking I may have to get the rears filled, But it would put me overweight with the DOT. That and changing that tire was a bit of a pain, without calcium isn't so bad with the right kind of tools.
well that didn't work

Logger003

I use a wore out skidder tire cut a big patch out of it and bolt it to the outside of the tire and put a good boot inside. When I put it back together I make sure my chains are tight after it's aired it's a fix that I found lasts a long time

lumberjack48

Quote from: Logger003 on April 19, 2015, 10:49:17 PM
I use a wore out skidder tire cut a big patch out of it and bolt it to the outside of the tire and put a good boot inside. When I put it back together I make sure my chains are tight after it's aired it's a fix that I found lasts a long time
My father and me did the same thing, except we put the piece of tire inside. We'd smooth out the old piece of side wall with a knife and grinder on till it was as smooth as a baby's butt. Then put a heavy tube with 30 lbs of air. We had good luck fixing tires this way.  I think maybe using two pieces of sidewall inside and out side, bolt them together. Good Luck
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

Does anyone ever use foam filled tires for forest work?  I've never heard of it being used in this application, but we used to do it for our outside yard fork trucks at the wire mill where I once worked. The tires were constantly getting shredded or poked by the ends of steel rod or wire. The foam filled tires seemed to hold up well for us.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Sounds like that would make for a very rough ride, even more so than the bouncing they get now on a skidder or the like. But maybe someone does do it and will shout out. ;)
At least I think the foam hardens in the tire... doesn't stay "foam like".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Our first foam filled tires rode really hard - this was done in the late '80s. We stayed away from foam for a while, but tired it gain later (maybe mid to late 90s??). These had some flex to them - not as much as the air-filled tires, but still kept some give. They were worlds better than driving our indoor fork trucks (with solid rubber tires) out in the yard.

It may be that there is just not enough give for a forestry application, even with the newer foam? Or maybe it's just too expensive. I know it wasn't cheap back when we were trying it out.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thechknhwk

You need some big tire balls. ;D  Lots of people used these when I was racing quads.

http://www.tireballs.com/pages/military

thenorthman

Tore it apart today.

sidewall is ok, and the tube isn't too bad, the belting pinched it and gave it a little hole.

I'll throw some old towels at it and fix the tube, try again...

Would have had it done but my stupid rubber cement is all dried up.
well that didn't work

tantoy

Northman, Is this how you breakdown your skidder tires?

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mad murdock

boy, i have some time in swinging one of those breakdown hammers smiley_smash  but thy work well when you don't have a log loader handy!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thenorthman

Quote from: tantoy on May 03, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
Northman, Is this how you breakdown your skidder tires?

No, I just use the skidder blade or in today's case the bucket on the backhoe.

I have had an occasion or two to use one of them and they do work on skidder tires and well nearly any other tire, they are really expensive, and I haven't found one I was willing to purchase for the asking price.  That and the blade/bucket is pretty easy... scratch scratch push a lever... yawn... scratch oh its popped now the hard work...

The other thing that works fairly well is an old bumper jack and something heavy, the nose on the base plate has a nice radius on most of makes it pretty nice for breaking beads.  The hard part is working the bead over the wheel.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!