iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Bobsled

Started by Jeff, August 13, 2004, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Member Harold and I took a flying trip out to Brian Bailey's the last two days to pick up a bobsled I got out there.

Thanks Brian!

I am confused on the set up of this sled. I am sure that the front would have the swivel, but it looks like what I would think is the back has a draw bar. Could these have been switched do you think? Or, could the draw bar be missing and the hook on the back be for hooking the sleds together. I would presume that the logs hooked the sled together and there would be no need for a hitch.  Here are some pictures that might help to answer my question?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Woodn't ya hook the two together to drag 'em back to the landing ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

slowzuki

Hello, they look a bit different than most of the ones I've seen.  Usually bobsleds here have a hitch thing so the rear countersteers the front.

But they also have a deck on em.  I should take some pics, the neighbours barn has about a half dozen of em.

Ken

Bro. Noble

I think you got them hooked together right.  That hitch keeps the back ligned up with the front.  The front bunk (bolster I think that's called) swivils so that you can steer.  It would be pulled with trace chains,  but seems to me that you would need a tongue (or shafts if one horse were used)  to keep the DanG thing from running over the horses going downhill.

It looks really neat and in good shape 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

From what I can see, all you have is the under carriage. There's a draw bar but no bed/box. You wouldn't load logs directed onto the undercarriage. You'de end up tearing them to heck and no way to control the stearing or stability of the load.  :D :D That undercarriage is interchangeable for wagon wheels to use in summer for hauling pitched hey or cordwood. Those upright post-like projections fasten to the bed/box of the sled. The draw bar is suppose to be on the front runner with the swivel point. The runners are not connected to each other, only connection is to the bed/box of the sled. :) The wheels my uncle used had a braking system. His bobsled/wagon was 2 horse drawn, since he had twin horses he raised from colts. And the draw bar was much longer so the sled wasn't nick'n at the back of the horses' legs. This sled looks like a one horse model. Most our one horse models had one set of long straight runners (long sled) and the bed was about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide, enough for a cord of stove wood or pulp.

I guess my uncle and I gotta take a trip to Michigan. ;)

Knight in front of the longsled looking at me as if to say, 'I'm not tote'n that around all day' :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

SD, these don't look like they had a box on them.

Jeff, you need the draw bar on the rear to tie off to the logs in order to keep the rear sled in line and also to keep the nose up. Otherwise the rear sled may nose dive, and flip out fom under the logs.
They do look like they are in pretty good shape!

Jeff

There are two swivels or pivots. The back set's bunk has a rocker swivel. I would think this is for unlevel ground or hills.

Then I guess the front is for turning.

I have one thing here that bothers me on the condition. Wonder what I should do. THere are a bunch of these little critter holes. Not sure if they are alive or not. THe picture is not a good representation. I took it in the dark and just picked a spot. Some spots the hole density is greater.

SwampDonkey

Those post-like things are slotted up into the bed/box and bolted. I sure can't fathom loading logs onto those skids without busting them to pieces in short order. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yup to all that Jeff and those look like powder post beetle holes. They'll even hit the antic furniture in the attic. You'll see fresh sawdust below the holes on the floor/ground. They don't look fresh, but hard to tell.

Brian_Bailey

Yur welcome Jeff.  

I was glad to be able to help out and enjoyed meeting you and Harold.

I'm hoping all that time spent gabbing didn't keep Harold from his stop in Ohio!

I noticed fresh frass from a couple of holes on the runners, so I'm positive you have critters in some of the wood.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

Any suggestions on killing the invaders short of a kiln?

I have some real good samples on here of the paint and should have no trouble matching it. What would the consensus be on whether to paint it to help protect it, or to leave it as it is?

SwampDonkey

Paint'er bobsled red :D :D

SwampDonkey

I knew an elderley gent that had made a model bobsled and he hand carved the horses and made all the riens and collars from leather. He offered to give that to me, but I said it looks just fine where it is. It wasn't an insult, it just wouldn't have been right to take it. He had lots of nephews and nieces that would appreciate it. Wish I had taken a picture of it though. Never a camera near by when needed. :D

Tom

Before you change a thing I think it would be a good idea to talk to some of the people who collect stuff like that. (other than you :D) and see if a refurb job would diminish its value.

Norm

They say that dry wood is not what bugs like to eat but if you have fresh sass near the holes you may want to build a tent of plastic and fumigate it.

That's a neat bobsled, the only thing your missing is something to pull it with. It just so happens I can help you out there, I have a 2000# belgian you can borrow for as long as you'd like. You may want to add a couple of leaf springs to your pick up before ya load her up. ;D

Bro. Noble

Years ago a guy gave me a hand made trunk.  It had fresh signs of post beetles.  I painted it with concentrated insecticide and let it set in a shed till it didn't smell so bad and then painted it.  That was probably 35 years ago and it is setting in our bedroom now.

Where your sled has some remaining original paint,  if it were mine,  I'd use some kind of clear preservative on it-----boiled linseed oil or waterseal or something of that nature.  It's old,  I wouldn't want it to look like a new one.  I might paint the metal parts.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Larry

Noble probably used chlordane on his trunk.  That stuff would kill bout anything but no longer available.  Looked like you got a fire pit.  Can you build something to enclose the sled to keep the heat over 130 degrees for a while?  That would take care of any critters.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kirk_Allen

Looks like Powder Post Beatle Exit holes.

Is there any fresh poweder around any of the holes?  

There is an over the counter product specific for the Powder Post Beatle.  I picked up some at Rural King and Farm & Fleet.  Its mixed with water and you simply spray the wood with it.  Seems to have worked real well for me.

I had the same problem with a bunch of boards from a salvaged barn.  No sign of fresh critters but I didnt want to take a chance since it was being used for our wood floor in the living room.

Kirk

etat

I 'believe', not sure mind you that I found a picture or drawing all be it not a great one of yer sled.  Looks a lot similar to it to me anyways.

http://www.allroutes.to/logging/history.htm

I'm looking at the picture of the Lumberman's Shanty on the right, about half way down, and there's something in the snow that resembles it a lot.  Wish it were a better picture.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Have a look here also. The bobsled in the picture doesn't have a bed over the skids but there are heavy carriage beams on which to load the logs onto and in order for your sled to work you need these heavy beams which are sloted for those post-like projections on your sled.I notice they are reinforced with iron on them to keep from wearing. ;)

The picture is half way down the page and is in Northern Maine.

http://groups.msn.com/LTLogging/menofthemainewoods.msnw

cheers

hosslog

Jeff, Usually sleds like this had a heavy steel rod where that link is on the rear sled. The rod would be flattened on the end to look like a big washer. The kingpin that the front bunk swivels on would set down thru it to hold the 2 sleds together. Look at the back of the front bunk to see if it is notched  for something like that. It's possible there is a piece missing.
As a young man my Grandfather worked in the logging camps in Vermont eventually becoming the blacksmith so he had a box full of pictures of this kind of stuff that I looked at as a kid.(Remember the cardboard boxes that the Encycolpedias came in?) Unfortunately when he passed away my Aunt and Uncle that inherited his house decided that nobody would be interested in them so they burned them. >:(I never forgave them.

Corley5

When my Grandpa, Grandma and Dad moved here in 59 there was a bunch of that kind of stuff around.  The old bobsled that was much like Jeff's was taken out of the shed so something more valuable could be put inside.  It taken back to a hillside and left there.  I remember it being semi intact when I was a kid but even then the cattle and weather had taken a toll.  With a metal detector the metal parts could still be found.  In the same spot there also laid an old wooden corn sheller.  Dad said it worked when they dumped it there.  All that's left now is the iron flywheel and the bur and now we'd collect that kinda stuff ::)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

When my father bought this place from his uncles it had a barn and sheds full of stuff ( mostly broken stuff or missing parts) that he gave away over the years. There wasn't a whole lot of value at the time because father's cousin's scavenged everything of value and also gave it away. (even the Dang clothes line pully) :D :D All I can remember is alot of rotten horse harness in the old barn and the sheds. I was only 6 years old and father cleaned alot of those old buildings out of here because they were homes to coons and quill dogs, and they were falling down. There was an old wagon that I remember for years in the orchard, all that's left now is the irons. There was a cedar seed roller, potato planter and a couple grain thrashers and a horse drawn combine, but all were pretty much wasted away because father's uncle let everything go down hill. They were all sitting in the orchard to along with a bunch of old junk cars. All these old farms have their 'bone yards'. My great grandfather was well off for the times and had 2 of every piece of machinery he needed on the farm, but the next generation weren't interested in farming. Grand mother was a teacher, Percy went to the states and ran an auto sales and realestate business, Arthur was a preacher, and Harry just got by. I never forget the old memories and my brother can't remember anything. Well, we aren't that old yet. :D :D

EmilyJoy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 13, 2004, 07:20:22 PM
From what I can see, all you have is the under carriage. There's a draw bar but no bed/box. You wouldn't load logs directed onto the undercarriage. You'de end up tearing them to heck and no way to control the stearing or stability of the load.  :D :D That undercarriage is interchangeable for wagon wheels to use in summer for hauling pitched hey or cordwood. Those upright post-like projections fasten to the bed/box of the sled. The draw bar is suppose to be on the front runner with the swivel point. The runners are not connected to each other, only connection is to the bed/box of the sled. :) The wheels my uncle used had a braking system. His bobsled/wagon was 2 horse drawn, since he had twin horses he raised from colts. And the draw bar was much longer so the sled wasn't nick'n at the back of the horses' legs. This sled looks like a one horse model. Most our one horse models had one set of long straight runners (long sled) and the bed was about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide, enough for a cord of stove wood or pulp.

I guess my uncle and I gotta take a trip to Michigan. ;)

Knight in front of the longsled looking at me as if to say, 'I'm not tote'n that around all day' :D

You wouldn't happen to know how the long sled was made do you? I've got the "bob" made but haven't figured out how to get the "bed" supporters on. That is without them braking off. If you happened to have some close-ups I'd sure appreciate it!
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people- Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank You Sponsors!