iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro Gas Cap

Started by willr, December 17, 2014, 11:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willr

We have a 20 in Poulan Pro chainsaw and the gas cap is ridiculously hard to get off and to put back on. I have to use pliers to get it on/off. Any suggestions on how to make it easier? thanks.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

Does the cap have to be put on so tight? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FayettesFinest

I have a loaner Poulan Pro and it's the same way. I know the Husky gets like that sometimes, but the Poulan has never fired and the cap still get's tighter than two coats of paint
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

beenthere

Quotebut the Poulan has never fired

What does that mean?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

You can use the flat drive end on your scrench to loosen the cap. 

old guy

This is common with these saws, gas swells the plastic in these caps, I alternate two caps, the swelling goes down if you leave em off for a while.
  Sears has new caps that fit these as most Craftsman saws are Poulan.

John

trapper

I find it helps to wipe a little bar oil on the o ring of the fuel cap with my finger before replacing the fuel cap.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

JustGreg

I stopped using ethanol gas and stopped having the swollen cap problem......among others.
Woodland Mills HM126

chainsawwhisperer

Quote from: old guy on December 17, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
This is common with these saws, gas swells the plastic in these caps, I alternate two caps, the swelling goes down if you leave em off for a while.
  Sears has new caps that fit these as most Craftsman saws are Poulan.

John

Exactly,  Buy an extra and swap them when they swell. Seems to take about a month to shrink back down.    CSW

mad murdock

You can take the o ring off the cap and go to your local parts house(auto parts) and ask for a Viton o ring of the same size. Will get rid of the swelling problem.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

old guy

On mine it is not the O ring that's the problem but the plastic threads, as soon as the threads engage it gets hard to turn.
  I also saw these caps at Fleet Farm today.

John

FayettesFinest

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2014, 01:09:52 PM
Quotebut the Poulan has never fired

What does that mean?

It never ran for me.
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

Al_Smith

Swelling of the o-rings on Stihl flip caps is also a problem .The solution rather than buy a new cap for 8 bucks is just a 29 cent o-ring .Actually in bulk about 12-15 cents .--you've got to kind of out smart them some times --- :D

Bret4207

Quote from: JustGreg on December 17, 2014, 09:19:17 PM
I stopped using ethanol gas and stopped having the swollen cap problem......among others.

Right on. If you think a Poulan cap swells bad, try an old Pioneer! The swelling doesn't seem to go down on those. You end up spending a bunch of time with a file and hacksaw blade getting things fixed right. Big pain, no ethanol for my saws.

Thank You Sponsors!