iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Experience with American Chains?

Started by TheDirt, December 17, 2014, 10:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDirt

Anyone here run American brand tire chains?
What do you think of them? prices look reasonable but I Don't know of anyone running them since there aren't any dealers over here.
Are they associated with Babac or wallingfords? They appear to be manufactured in the same town in Maine. Thanks!

Maine logger88

Babec are made in Maine I have a set that has lasted well and they work good to
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

TheDirt

So babac and American are the same? I only see american chains on TCR

Maine logger88

I believe so I just looked them up and they look identical to babec so I'm assuming that there babecs

wfcjr

Some are US made, some are imports.

I went through this last year trying to find Made-in-USA chains.
They sell a mix of import & made here.  I could not get made in USA for tractor sized chains.
Had to go with Tryggs. 

For larger forestry vehicles like skidders, they do have made in USA chains. 

TheDirt

I talked to the guy at TCR today and he said the the babec and American-brand chains are all made in the same shop in Maine, the difference is that the Americans have 6 picks per diamond and the babecs have 10

xalexjx

i'v ordered from trc and had good luck with the chains. Last set i ordered a few months ago were to my door step in three days.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Ed_K

I've had the same good luck with TCR also.
Ed K

jwilly3879

I've posted this before.

If you plan on ordering chains from TCR call them. They charge more for orders online. The tight rings I bought would have been $200 cheaper by phone. We have been running them since 2009 and are wearing well. 

BargeMonkey

TCR treated me right. Bought 2 new sets and he did a deal on a new chain jack. The short handled ones work great for on the landing. Just don't catch the handle in the face trying to get to much at once.  :D

David-L

I have been buying the single diamonds and would say go 5/8's for the longer lasting effect. The 9/16's I have on front of the Jack went on easy and have stayed on. Good chains and steel,and a good price. As said always call the deals seem better. your right,babac chains just less picks.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

wfcjr

Here is another option....

Bought chains from these folks.  Their customer service was very good and prices very competitive.

They carry their brand as well as Trygg.

http://canadianchainsusa.com/default.aspx

Name says canadian chain, but it is a US, Maine based operation.

Thank You Sponsors!