iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what I found in this hydro pole

Started by Quebecnewf, December 17, 2014, 04:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Nice, Did you spray the paint or brush it on?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

WOW factor.   Things starting to freeze over so you can get some logs?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brianb88

That is an outstanding example of craftsmanship.  Excellent job!
Measure twice, cut once

Holmes

Great job.   How is the shiplap attached to the transom?  Is there a dado or groove or?  I can not see how it does not leak.  I'm just curios.
Think like a farmer.

Billbob

Fantastic job!  You Sir, are a craftsman!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Warped

Best chance of my logs ever floating is to leave them as logs
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Quebecnewf

Well we have had some bad weather so I have had some more time in the shop

The " Rosalie" is about finished.

A lot of different woods from a lot of different places.

The keel is made from a type of hard pine ( I think) . This came from a utility pole that a friend of mine found on the bottom while diving to do an inspection on a transport Canada wharf in a village east of here. It was lost of a ship during unloading. I sawed the pole for him about 15 years ago and he gave me a piece when he heard I needed a keel

The stem and counter ( transom) are made of eastern larch that we cut 65 klm inland from here and transported back to the mill by snowmobile . I dried this in my solar kiln.

The timbers ( frames) are also made from eastern larch and then steamed and bent over the molds.

The plank is western red cedar from a large hydro pole that a friend gave me a section of.

The out walls are of pine from a plank that a friend gave me. This came of a coast guard light station that is now closed.

The in walls are white oak from a log that I bought from a contact many years ago . He sent this a a bonus with 22 large eastern white pine logs I bought at the same time. The logs came from down in the eastern US . Maybe around  Maine or Mass.

The seats are western red cedar as well.

The seat knees are eastern larch these are small strips steamed and bent around a mold allowed to dry and then glued up with epoxy

The mast step is BC Fir from some old cross arm pieces from another old utility pole that I salvaged.

The centreboard cap is teak from an old companion way set of steps that my grandfather salvaged from a cargo ship that wrecked 30 miles west of here many many years ago . Long before I was born.

The wooden cleats ( yet to be made and added) will be  made from iroko from a timber that a buddy and I salvaged of a wreck west of here. We know nothing of this wreck other than she was a large sailing vessel . Her plank was 4" thick. She was built all out of iroko and was sheathed in copper. She was fastened with copper and wooden tree nails.

Lots of different wood from lots of different sources.

Quebecnewf

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Andy White

OH MY GOSH!!!!!
That is one really outstanding boat! Beautiful! I have always wanted to build a boat, and even got the plans for a Bruce Roberts 38' sloop. Have never gotten close to "pulling the trigger" {old saying}. Life happens, but you my friend are living the dream! Great work. Keep pictures coming.   8) 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

That is way too pretty to let the salt water chew away on that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scouter Joe

The boat is amazing . Another thing that caught my attention is how neat and uncluttered your shop is .
Are things freezing up for you to do some logging  on the Island yet ? scouter Joe

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

Very pretty !!
I like that you used all those different woods.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pineywoods

WOW.. I am absolutely amazed by your crafsmanship and very much impressed by your scrounging and Use-what-have ability. You have set an example for the rest of us to try to duplicate, but I ain't even in the same ballpark.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Awesome work :o It must be really gratifying to pull this together after having parts sitting around for so long ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!