iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what I found in this hydro pole

Started by Quebecnewf, December 17, 2014, 04:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Still not finished yet. Mast and seats along with centreboard and rudder to add.

Quebecnewf

LeeB

Looks very very nice, but this is just a tease right? Surely you are going to provide us with more details aren't you, and more pictures? Where did you get the plans? Have you built other boats before? If you can't tell, I'm fascinated. Must know more!!!!!
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ely

FarmingSawyer

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

I sure did not expect to see something like that!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Qnewf-
You are one talented man.Our poles usually have nothing but boat anchors in them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

slider

al glenn

coalsmok

drobertson

Never know what you'll find :D  not what I was expecting either! incredible work of art!  Got a dozen to saw for a lady this week,  and I'm sure we won't find anything near this,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Busy Beaver Lumber

WOW. I bet that is pretty much a lost art that not a lot of people know how to do. I have always thought of myself as a fairly decent wood worker, but that put most of what i have done to shame. Well done
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

That is a very nice "find" and I'm with LeeB.  I hope that you have some pictures of the build.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

Here is a great example of workmanship and vertical integration.  Thanks for letting us have a peep.  Regards, Clark

sandhills

sawguy21

Glad you are back, we have missed you. That is a fine piece of work. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Leigh Family Farm

Got any more of those poles around?  ;)

That's amazing work. What kind of rigging will you use? Lateen? Gaff? Sloop? I assume that the mast will be able to be taken down after each use, so no standing rigging. What plans did you use? Are you going to fiberglass the insides or just apply resin? If you haven't noticed, I have a thing for sailing  ;D

More Pictures please!!!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ga Mtn Man

Yeah, well, what he's not telling us is just how many poles he had to saw before he found that. :laugh:

Absolutely amazing work Quebecnewf. 8)  Have you got any in-progress pics to post?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

beenthere

QuoteWhat kind of rigging will you use? Lateen? Gaff? Sloop? I assume that the mast will be able to be taken down after each use, so no standing rigging.

I missed that when looking at the pic. Didn't look like a sailing craft.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rhino135

That boat came from that one pole,the water sweld up the the wood. Just kidding very nice work.

blade69001

Nice Clinker style,

Love wooden boats we have a big wooden boat show up in Georgetown every year. Some of the prettiest wood work I have seen is there. My girlfriend just can not understand why I love it so much.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Ocklawahaboy

One of my dreams is to build a wooden boat.  dont know why I havent started yet.

Delawhere Jack

Fantastic work. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a hydro pole?

WoodenHead

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 17, 2014, 05:31:53 PM
Fantastic work. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a hydro pole?

:D  That is a miss-used term up in these parts for a utility pole. 

A significant percentage of electricity (in Quebec particularly, but Ontario too) comes from large Hydro (water) dams.  The large utilities are named "Hydro + something else".  My utility is called Hydro One for example.  As a result electricity is often called "Hydro" and the poles "Hydro poles".   :)

petefrom bearswamp

In my experience fishing in Quebec Hydro must mean Hydro Quebec.
Great place to visit
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Hydro to me is hydraulic, so throws me for a second when seeing "hydro" referring to electric utility.
But guess we adapt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Well, I learned something today. Thanks.

Privacyleech

Just wondering what else is in that pole. . . or the other poles like it. . . I would keep looking if I were you!

Holmes

Hydro pole boat kits. 8)  You may be on to something. 8)  Can I order one?
Think like a farmer.

78NHTFY

Quebecnewf--amazing work & skill!  Vraiment incroyable ca!.  It's humbling to see so much incredible talent from you and so many others on this Forum.  I mean, who could see a boat in a telephone pole and actually make it happen?   ???.  Something to aspire to (in my dreams...).  All the best, Rob
If you have time, you win....

Lonely Sawer

Around here, we called em phone poles. So if I find a good one, I might get a..........?
Oh by the way. Very, very nice boat. It'll be a real beauty with the finish on it.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2014, 11:01:01 AM
QuoteWhat kind of rigging will you use? Lateen? Gaff? Sloop? I assume that the mast will be able to be taken down after each use, so no standing rigging.

I missed that when looking at the pic. Didn't look like a sailing craft.

Beenthere, he mentioned putting in a mast and centerboard at the bottom of the post. This design also looks similar to designs that can be used either way (rowboat, dinghy, or even small outboard motorboat). I have a book on wooden boat plans (can't remember the name) that had several small craft desings with this multi-use in mind.

Quebecnewf

Try to answer a few questions, and thanks for the comments

The boat is a Catspaw Dingy. Google it and you will see lots of info. Lots of nice boats as well. The " power" pole is a old Western Red Cedar pole that was took down after many years of service but because it is cedar was still good to saw( not as clear as I had hoped but I made do)

This is my first "clinker built" boat. I have built a strip built canoe many years ago but this is much more challenging.

The boat will be rigged with a sprit sale and will also be able to be used as a rowboat. My grandfather built all his boats this way. I never saw him he had died before I was born. This style of building was quite common in this area but was replaced by carvel style wooden boats and now of course the fiberglass has replaced all the wooden boats.
She is built bottom up over molds

And  steam bent frames over stringers

Then planked Bottom up

Then removed from the mold and turned right side up to continue the fitting out gunwalls,seats centreboard etc etc.

Will update as work progress after Christmas if any one is interested..

Merry Christmas
Quebecnewf

mesquite buckeye

I am. ;D

Now all I need is water to put one in. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

If anyone is interested he says. I haven't seen enough about what you've already done. I sure want to see more as you go along.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

grweldon

Definitely interested.  I'd like to know more details about the planking process.  Seems to me as this would be the most difficult part...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

logboy

Something must be wrong with my cedar hydro poles. All I ever find are rough sawn boards and nails.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

coxy

that boat is awesome   yes please keep us up dated at least every hour or two  8) 8)  thanks for sharing your work    Marry Christmas  to you and family                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         coxy 

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for posting more pics...keep 'em coming! 

I see that the stringers are screwed to the forms.  Do you remove the screws as you work your way down with the planking?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

blade69001

Yep very interested. I have helped to build a few boats here in Charleston, no "Clinker style" all plywood. Seeing a new style come together will be interesting.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

beenthere

Looks to me like the "stringers" stay with the mold, and the "ribs" stay with the boat when it is lifted off.
south central Wisconsin

Leigh Family Farm

I think beenthere is right on about the ribs and stringers. The finished product is gonna be awesome.

Quebecnewf

Yes your right the stringers are removed as you plank and the frames (timbers) stay in the boat.
Did a little work on the seats today and roughed out and oiled the rudder. Epoxied the centreboard case needs another coat and then it will be ready to reinstall.

Not much else going to happen until after the Christmas holidays . We are leaving to visit with my wife's sister for the holiday season tomorrow.

When we return in the new year things should fall into place very quickly if conditions are no good for logging. I have many of the interior components made out and just need to paint and install

I will post new pics as I go .

Breast hook detail in larch

Seat blanks and rudder roughed out.

More pics in the new year . Check back then

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

We'll work is progressing after Christmas holidays. First coat of paint and primer on the inside. One coat of primer on the outside. Centreboard trunk installed temporary. Things should go quickly after this step is finished as I have made out many of the other components ahead of time, rudder,seats etc.

Quebecnew

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scouter Joe

excellent Job . I love your posts . scouter Joe

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

dustintheblood

Great work!

What year is your mill?  Did you buy it new?
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

roger 4400

Hi PAUL, nice ....very nice craftsmanship. Congratulations. Bring it home the next time you'll come we will try it  :D :D. Hang on, it is a really nice boat. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

coxy

that right there is a real nice boat    just hope it floats when your dun  :D :D :D :D 8) 8)

Nichols

WOW!
Just Wow!
Very impressive!!! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

I have always wanted to build my own boat, but I don't have a basement. My bad luck!  ;D
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Nice, Did you spray the paint or brush it on?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

WOW factor.   Things starting to freeze over so you can get some logs?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brianb88

That is an outstanding example of craftsmanship.  Excellent job!
Measure twice, cut once

Holmes

Great job.   How is the shiplap attached to the transom?  Is there a dado or groove or?  I can not see how it does not leak.  I'm just curios.
Think like a farmer.

Billbob

Fantastic job!  You Sir, are a craftsman!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Warped

Best chance of my logs ever floating is to leave them as logs
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Quebecnewf

Well we have had some bad weather so I have had some more time in the shop

The " Rosalie" is about finished.

A lot of different woods from a lot of different places.

The keel is made from a type of hard pine ( I think) . This came from a utility pole that a friend of mine found on the bottom while diving to do an inspection on a transport Canada wharf in a village east of here. It was lost of a ship during unloading. I sawed the pole for him about 15 years ago and he gave me a piece when he heard I needed a keel

The stem and counter ( transom) are made of eastern larch that we cut 65 klm inland from here and transported back to the mill by snowmobile . I dried this in my solar kiln.

The timbers ( frames) are also made from eastern larch and then steamed and bent over the molds.

The plank is western red cedar from a large hydro pole that a friend gave me a section of.

The out walls are of pine from a plank that a friend gave me. This came of a coast guard light station that is now closed.

The in walls are white oak from a log that I bought from a contact many years ago . He sent this a a bonus with 22 large eastern white pine logs I bought at the same time. The logs came from down in the eastern US . Maybe around  Maine or Mass.

The seats are western red cedar as well.

The seat knees are eastern larch these are small strips steamed and bent around a mold allowed to dry and then glued up with epoxy

The mast step is BC Fir from some old cross arm pieces from another old utility pole that I salvaged.

The centreboard cap is teak from an old companion way set of steps that my grandfather salvaged from a cargo ship that wrecked 30 miles west of here many many years ago . Long before I was born.

The wooden cleats ( yet to be made and added) will be  made from iroko from a timber that a buddy and I salvaged of a wreck west of here. We know nothing of this wreck other than she was a large sailing vessel . Her plank was 4" thick. She was built all out of iroko and was sheathed in copper. She was fastened with copper and wooden tree nails.

Lots of different wood from lots of different sources.

Quebecnewf

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Andy White

OH MY GOSH!!!!!
That is one really outstanding boat! Beautiful! I have always wanted to build a boat, and even got the plans for a Bruce Roberts 38' sloop. Have never gotten close to "pulling the trigger" {old saying}. Life happens, but you my friend are living the dream! Great work. Keep pictures coming.   8) 8) 8)    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

thecfarm

That is way too pretty to let the salt water chew away on that.

scouter Joe

The boat is amazing . Another thing that caught my attention is how neat and uncluttered your shop is .
Are things freezing up for you to do some logging  on the Island yet ? scouter Joe

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Magicman

sprucebunny

Very pretty !!
I like that you used all those different woods.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pineywoods

WOW.. I am absolutely amazed by your crafsmanship and very much impressed by your scrounging and Use-what-have ability. You have set an example for the rest of us to try to duplicate, but I ain't even in the same ballpark.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

Awesome work :o It must be really gratifying to pull this together after having parts sitting around for so long ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!