iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10hp electric or 20hp gas?

Started by hackberry jake, December 16, 2014, 05:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I came across a 10hp single phase electric motor. Should I switch it out with my 20hp honda? What would you do?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tmarch

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 16, 2014, 05:42:53 PM
I came across a 10hp single phase electric motor. Should I switch it out with my 20hp honda? What would you do?
Without knowing your electrical costs that would be hard to answer.  My electric costs .18 per KWH, no way can I convert my saw to electric, diesel maybe tho.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

dgdrls

As I recall You will need about 7 amps/HP to run 220v single phase electric motor.
So your gonna need some juice, 

You can estimate power consumption $$$ here.
http://www.cornhusker-power.com/operatingcosts.asp

I would say three Phase yes,  single??  you have to crunch the numbers.

Best
DGDrls

ozarkgem

electric will be cheaper I bet. I have 20 HP electric on mine.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

lineguy82

You've gotta factor your time and maintinence costs in too. Electric motors usually give far less problems than gas or diesel. Your parts cost and whatever you figure your time wrenching on something is worth is nearly non-existent on a electric motor. If you have the load capacity, I say go for it...unless you have a insanely high kWh rate.

P. S. If you're in a demand meter situation, that plays a big part also
95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

hackberry jake

I live in a fairly cheap area for kwh. Think I will see much of a reduction in power?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

I think they will be close to the same.  It would take me about two seconds to go electric.  No gas, oil, noise, fumes, get rid of the battery maybe, no noise, and no noise.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

I was thinking that as long as you're stationary and it's a toss-up between gasoline engine and electric motor, you would have to consider gas, oil, filters, and upkeep on the engine vs electric.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WIwoodworker

I'd keep the gas motor until it needed to be replaced. Then replace with electric.
Peterson 9" WPF

Swatson

Electric motors are real easy to start in cold weather... :D
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Swatson on December 16, 2014, 10:14:10 PM
Unless they are hooked onto a hydraulic pump...  smiley_hourglass

Swatson

Ah you got me there...come to think of it my air compressor is a bit finicky in cold weather as well.  I still have the 5 hp single phase I took off my old mill, I need to find a project to use it on.  I was quite impressed with what it could do (but the diesel is awesome).  I did have to upgrade to a 60 amp double breaker to run it.  I did not use a clutch on it when I had it.  It might have been better for the motor to have one but it had enough power to start the whole works from a dead stop.   

Does the 20 hp motor a have a centrifugal start or capacitor only?
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Swatson on December 16, 2014, 10:39:03 PM

Does the 20 hp motor a have a centrifugal start or capacitor only?

say_what
The mill is set up with an over-cam type lever to engauge the gasoline 20 hp. The electric 10hp I imagine will use the same engauge method. It is capacitor start.

Swatson

That's good.  Capacitor start motors generally start with a lot more torque than a switch type. 

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 16, 2014, 10:24:05 PM
Quote from: Swatson on December 16, 2014, 10:14:10 PM
Unless they are hooked onto a hydraulic pump...  smiley_hourglass
Mine is hooked to a hydraulic pump. It has to be pretty cold for hyd oil to be a problem. My BIL has an LT 40 and put a 10 HP single phase motor on it about 6 yrs ago and couldn't be happier. Saws just a fast as the Onan gas did. GO ELECTRIC. The thing is if you don't like you can always put the Honda back on and sell me your electric motor. ;)
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bandmiller2

Jake, if you have the KW's to run that sucker have at it, electric motors are by far the best mill power. You should have the base rock like your gas engine so you can start no load and let it run between cuts as starting draws a lot of current. that motor is the equal of a 25 to 30 hp gas engine at least in practice. Electric motors have a lot of torque and will hold band speed in a cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

Switch them. You won't regret it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

FarmingSawyer

popcorn_smiley  Keep up posted on how you go! I'd consider going electric if my mill were fixed.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Glenn1

I don't mean to hijack this post my question is using a larger electric motor than the manufacturer offers.  Baker, Norwood offer 10HP electric and I think that WM and Cooks do too.  There 10HP are single phase and I have access to 15-20HP electrics in three phase configuration.  I would be using a rotary converter.  Would there be any benefits such as a quicker cut or more torque.  Are there any other  benefits?  On the downside, I know that I would be using more kilowatts.  Are there downsides like voiding the warranty?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Joe Hillmann

A true 10 hp electric motor will draw 32 amps.  Maybe more at start up.  Is your electric service up to that much power draw?  If you have 100 or 200 amp service it probably wont be an issue.  40 or 60 amp would be questionable depending on what else you are running.  And 20 or 30 amp (there are still some homes in this area with that small of a service) you wouldn't be able to run it, or if you did you would be taking a risk.

It would also depend on where you plan to cut.  If only at your place within reach of electric won't be a problem but if you do any mobile sawing having an electric motor will really limit your possibilities.

Also how dependable is your electric company.  Some places my have a couple hours with out power in a year.  Other places may be without power for the better part of the day every time the wind picks up a bit.

With that said, electric would probably be cheaper (depending on rates) and much less maintenance than gas powered.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 17, 2014, 06:16:15 AM

Mine is hooked to a hydraulic pump. It has to be pretty cold for hyd oil to be a problem.

I just want to point out that "pretty cold" is relative to your location.  Up here we would say it takes a while for the hydraulic fluid warm up enough to work.

Larry

I calculated the cost of running.  Its a rough estimate because of a lot of variables.  36 to 99 cents per hour.  36 cents is when the motor is just idling and 99 cents is when the motor is at full load right before it stalls.  A good average I think would be 50 cents an hour.  The cost will go up when they switch us back to the summer electric rate.

Of course you will have maintenance expense.  1/2 shot of grease per zerk once a year. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

My mill is definately not going to be growing legs anytime soon. And the fluid in the pump makes a big difference on starting a pump. I have a 2hp motor on my 2gpm pump and when it is cold it doesnt start. I just have that cheap "tractor hydraulc fluid" in it though and it gets really thick when its cold. I need to splurge on a thinner fluid.

Dave Shepard

ATF would probably have a better working range.

I like electric motors. I'd go for it, if you have the service.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!