iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing a hydraulic oil

Started by SPForesrty, December 16, 2014, 03:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPForesrty

What is everyone running for hydraulic oil in their harvesters ? I am running a John Deere 1270E and currently using John Deere synthetic XR hydraulic fluid. They discontinued the John Deere 46 I was using before they recommended this XR stuff. The problem is its $148 a pail here in Nova Scotia.  I am looking for an alternative 46 grade oil that meets the machines hydraulic oil requirements.  According to Shell the Tellus S2 V 46 is a good alternative.  Anyone use this ?

mad murdock

You can do some checking on SAE or ASTM standards but if an oil meets the specifications of AW46, it doesn't really matter whose name is on it, IMO. If you are concerned about foaming and dependability under load and heat build up, upgrade to an AW68 hydraulic oil. Shell Tellus and Chevron are 2 common good brands.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

1270d

We use tellus s2 v46.  It does have a little bit longer warmup time than some synthetics, but have not had any issues.   I switched to it on a recommendation from Deere after a pump replacement.  It is around 75 a pail here

Ran it around 6000 hours in the 1270.  Ponsse recommends the same oil for the scorpion.

S2 is the extended temp range
M2 has a narrower temp range.

deastman

I've been running it in my Cat forwarder for a couple years and haven't had any issues with it,  seems to be a good quality oil.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Thank You Sponsors!