iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a few stupid carpentry questions

Started by Dan_Shade, December 14, 2014, 07:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm prepping up to frame a garage up, I'm going to put an 8' framed wall on top of a block wall.

I have two large doors, one 16' and one 10' planned for the automotive section.  I need to use LVL headers to withstand the roof load.

first question:  should I nail the vertical studs directly to the sill plate, or install the sill plates, then frame up the wall on the ground using non-treated lumber then nail it to the sill plate?

second question:  how much wider should the LVL header be than the door opening?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bruno of NH

Hi Dan
I'm a builder and this is what I do .
Frame walls on ground with kd studs and sills . Lift and nail to pt sills on block walls .
On big openings I use 3 jack studs on each side of opening .
Jim/Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Dan,
Typically you will install a treated sill (2x6 in this case)to the top of your block wall.Frame your 2x4 wall in manageable lengths with a single bottom and top plate.Then apply a 2nd plate to the top with a generous overlap at all joints as well as the corners.String ,straighten and brace before installing sheathing and rafters or trusses.
Header length is usually 3'' more than rough opening.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

shinnlinger

Is there building codes to satisfy?   I Would bolt the pressure treat down and then frame the wall laying down and raise when done aka bottom plate on pressure treated plate. 
As for the lvl ovhang, how far apart are the openings?   I like a least 4inches on each side but again, you local building code and snow load, roof pitch, roofing material all come into play.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dan_Shade

thanks, shinnlinger, Bruno and sawdust47.

I the building will have to pass an inspection.

Do you guys mean like this:

The door is 10' wide, then 2' to the 16' door.

I have J-bolts in the block, I guess I'll have to drill holes in the KD board for clearance?

3 jack studs would be an extra 4.5" on each side of the opening?  The reason I ask is that the LVL's are 12' and 18' on the quote.  I guess they come in lengths like regular boards, that I need to trim to proper length?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

shinnlinger

Yes.   If you install like your diagram you should be all set and it is much as everyone had said.   

That said, have you checked with building dept?   What did they say?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dan_Shade

Bruno of NH

Dan
That's how I frame on block walls
Just like you drawing
That would pass code in my state .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Dan
Are you using wood you have sawn for the framing wood ?
If so you might need to check with your code department on that .
Bruno

Don_Papenburg

Even using PT sill I would put a sill sealer membrane of some sort between the concrete block and the sill . it cuts air infiltration and helps alleviate rot from the block hole condensation.  also use long enough anchor bolts to fasten the second plate.  Use structural tie plates (USP or Strongtie)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Holmes

Personally I would put 1 or 2 jack studs inside the opening ,down to the floor if door width allows.  This give you a place to attach the door trim instead of nailing/screwing to the cement blocks
Think like a farmer.

Dan_Shade

I'm begrudgingly buying lumber.  I can use rough sawn, but it has to be full dimension, which making properly sizing nails a bit more challenging.

the J-bolts are already in the block.  I hired that part out. I think most of them stick up about 2.5"

Tom the Sawyer

If you ever consider building anything, and don't have much if any experience, consider this book.  It has answers to questions you haven't even considered.  Reference tables and options for framing, plumbing, wiring, roofing, heating loads, ductwork, and on and on.

"The Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling" by Charlie Wing. 

I am on my second copy, have given several to family and friends, and have found it invaluable.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

47sawdust

Personally I would put 1 or 2 jack studs inside the opening ,down to the floor if door width allows.  This give you a place to attach the door trim instead of nailing/screwing to the cement blocks.As well as the track.

Holmes -
Very good idea!
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

LittleJohn

Typically I have only use a single PT sill plate on the bottom, and still most times I have barely enough thread to get thru that board

LeeB

I recon I must not be too bright either, because I can't figure why these are stupid questions.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Woodhauler

When we did my garage, we put pressure trated sill on knee wall then built a stand 14 ft out on the garage floor. Built the walls in 20 ft sections. Sheathed them and tyeveked them laying flat. One edge rested on pressure treated sill , other on the 60 ft long stand we made. Stood walls with pulp loader. When doing this way all the walls are built at standing hight! Only kneeling is when you sheath and tyewrap!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Dan_Shade

It looks like I have a few J-bolts that will impede with the location of the jack studs, how do the pros handle this?  notch out the stud?

mesquite buckeye

You can also cut it off and drill out and epoxy in a bolt where you need it.  ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

submarinesailor

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 20, 2014, 01:09:55 PM
You can also cut it off and drill out and epoxy in a bolt where you need it.  ;D

Dan - I agree with Buckeye.  If I needed one moved, this is what I would do.

Bruce

47sawdust

Dan,
J bolts frequently are where you want to put a stud or jack.After tightening the nut cut off the unused threaded portion and cut a notch in the bottom of the framing member and you are good to go.
47sawdust
Mick

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!