iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whack of wood from this weekend.

Started by acrosteve, December 14, 2014, 06:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

So, i went to my 1st "paying job".  I did not have my camera the 1st day, but counting moving the mill and setting up, we had about 4-1/2 hrs getting to this point.  The new laser indicator worked great.

two poplars on the far right where nearly hollow, so we did not even put them on the mill.

Then we put in another 8hrs today and got finished up.  Mini Ex belongs to the customer, and was very handy.  The logs had been down a couple of years.  3 pretty good poplar, and the rest red oak.  Got several 16"
wide boards out of the 18 footer and one of the shorter ones.  Much of the poplar was nicely spalted.

Customer stickered it, so it was a pretty basic job for me.  Went very well.  Short boards in this stack are 8'.  Plus, he took the boards away before I had to edge them. :D

Last blade on the mill still has some life in it, but used 5 blades - broke one strangely.  Last cut on the last log-1st day.  Board that was about 6" wide.  I was going to change the blade anyway, but something happened about 1/2 way through the cut.
Finished the cut 1st thing this morning without an issue.
Timberking B-20

acrosteve

Rough guess was about 1600 bf.  Did not find a single bit of tramp metal.  I should have calculated the logs before starting to get an idea on what to charge when I do this again.

I figure I have about $100 in blade costs.  and almost 13 hrs for me any off bearer.

I did this job for trade.  He has 3 I beams about 37' long, galvanized and a little bigger than 12".  I do actually have a need for them, so that is a plus. Closest standard I beam size I found is 12"x31.8 which are $22.76/ft.  So that works out to a new cost of $842 each.

Hard to put a true value on the steel, I suppose, but I think an even trade was pretty good from my end.  I do plan on paying my labor something, probably $10/hr or so.
Timberking B-20

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

The first job is a memorial moment,  it looks like you made it a good one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Swatson

Sounds like a decent swap to me.  It kills me to see some of the scrap metal going down to road to the recycle center.  I have nothing against recycling but sure would be nice to have some of the tidbits I see.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

acrosteve

Thanks guys.

I just wonder about my productivity.  Maybe it's the limitation of my mill, but it just seems like I am cutting so slow most of the time.  I use my pressure gage as a guide to how hard I am pushing the blade.  Pressure runs about 600 lbs with a new blade, and real hard spots and dull blades can spike it up to almost 1,000 if I am not on the ball.

Of course, 16" wide passes through red oak, are pretty taxing on any portable saw, I suppose.

The logs where pretty punky on the outer few inches, and we did some of the debarking with the excavator to speed things up.
Timberking B-20

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: acrosteve on December 14, 2014, 06:52:29 PMI just wonder about my productivity.
I also wonder about your blade usage.  Four blades for 1600bf costing $100? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Swatson on December 14, 2014, 06:40:18 PM
Sounds like a decent swap to me.  It kills me to see some of the scrap metal going down to road to the recycle center.  I have nothing against recycling but sure would be nice to have some of the tidbits I see.

If it makes you feel any better, I was a welder in the shop at a scrap yard for awhile, and not all of the metal gets sent overseas to be turned into junk recycled metal.  We used alot of the good scrap we got in to either fix or build stuff.  If we didn't have an immediate use for it we'd keep it off to the side. 

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

acrosteve

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2014, 09:44:27 PM
Quote from: acrosteve on December 14, 2014, 06:52:29 PMI just wonder about my productivity.
I also wonder about your blade usage.  Four blades for 1600bf costing $100?

Yea, I know.  Total I calculated was actually 5 - counting the one on the mill.  $15 each to resharpen 4 and the one replacement.

Lubrication was just water and pinesol, at a pretty good steady drip.  Probably used 3 gallons total.  We got all the bark off and there was very little dirt/mud, so it was all just wear from the wood.  These where Timberking re-sharps.

Quote from: 4x4American on December 14, 2014, 10:49:05 PM
Nice first job!  Went way better than mine!  How do you like the B-20?

Well, it's the only mill I have run.  I really do think it is a very good mill.  The log turner handled every log just fine.  I would like the log spike height to be adjustable, but you can't have it all, I suppose. :D

Quote from: 4x4American on December 14, 2014, 10:51:01 PM
Do I spy a Poulan there?   :snowball:
I catch a lot of grief from that :D  But, I am cheap and it was free, and it cuts pretty good.

Timberking B-20

78NHTFY

Great first job, Acrosteve!  Doing work for trade works well.  Are you using the I-beams to build a shed to house your mill?  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

EZ

Nice job Steve. I do a little saw trading myself. Sometimes it's well worth it and sometimes not. EZ

Lewisman

Early in the mill ownership game I too did sawing for trade or on shares.  12 years later I reject most such offers.  I can make more money buying logs I truly want to saw.  Plus, sawing only my logs eliminates someone pestering me or otherwise breathing down my neck asking about their wood.

Your lumber looks great and I know you're having great fun producing it!

ladylake

I do mostly custom sawing and also buy logs and sell lumber, I find the lumber buyers breathing down my neck more than the custom jobs.  I make more money per hour selling lumber but custom sawing is a lot easier.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

acrosteve

Thanks again guys.

Up until this point I have just been sawing for myself and basically hoarding it, as I have not done very much woodworking.  Just something small here or there.

No shed for the mill, but I am building a barn/shop.  It will have at least 15' ceilings and I plan on making a bridge crane in a portion of it.  Just a chainfall, no power, but might workout pretty well.

Thanks also to those the sent me messages with tips regarding blade useage.  I plan on implementing them and hopefully improving things.  This place is a great resource.
Timberking B-20

acrosteve

I know you guys like pictures.  Sorry, no sawmills, but this is the start of my barn project where I will use the beams I traded for.

Had to do just a little site prep 1st. :o

Timberking B-20

Magicman

Wow, I would say a "little site prep" is an understatement.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

al glenn

4x4American

Nice looking work there on your "little site prep"  even put a septic in too
Boy, back in my day..

78NHTFY

Wow!  So, what would a lot of site prep be? :D  :o:D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

thecfarm

In your forst picture of a little prep work,I see some white pipe capped off? What's all that's for.  How big the barn?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

acrosteve

One pipe for septic tank outlet to leech field below wall.  One pipe for floor drain in barn and possibly downspout.  Other one by itself is for an area drain.  Barn will be roughly 26x50, with 14' of parking area between the barn and the wall.

Length of the wall on the long side is 100'
Timberking B-20

acrosteve

Timberking B-20

Thank You Sponsors!