iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First thinning,burn or leave the limbs?

Started by LaneC, December 14, 2014, 02:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Hello.
  I just had a first thinning of about 5 acres of Slash pine trees, that were planted in 2004. I thought I had gotten Loblolly, but am now glad I did not. They took every 5th row plus smaller, catfaced etc. The limbs are piled pretty high, within 10 feet along the edge of the remaining standing trees. I am thinking this will be too much heat on the good trees. Should I burn them or let them lay a couple of years, and then try to spread them or burn them? It opened it up nicely, and I am thinking the trees will now get a good surge to them. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Texas Ranger

If you have the means, mash them, crush them, get as much as possible to the ground  Let them rot, at some time in the future you will have helped the soil, not damaged the trees, and done a good job without damage to the residual stand.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LaneC

Thanks a bunch. That is what I would like to do. Help out the land. I will start my planning of getting them dispersed. Thanks again.

thecfarm

Might too much of a bother to saw the limbs about 2 feet long now? I try to get any brush I leave on the ground. Some times I have to cut it a foot long to get it on the ground. I try to cut the brush in straight pieces too,don't leave much branches on the branches.  ;D Easier to do when the branches are on the tree too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

I like the brush at the Missouri farm. Keeps the deer out of the little cherry trees and gives the turkeys a nesting spot.  ;D

Goes away quick enough anyway. I might be more worried in a more fire prone area.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Yes, spread them out and let them lay.  They will rot fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

Thanks for all of the advice. They are destined to rot ;D

WDH

A watched pot does not boil.  Turn your back on them, and they will rot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

danreed76

Would a small roll-chopper be useful in this case?  Used to see a lot of them around our area but not so much anymore.  Every now and then one pops up in the trader paper.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

LaneC

I have never seen 1 around here, but I doubt they would do this small of a job. That is a great thought and that would be nice to have everything very small, but like I say, I doubt they would want to mess with my small operation.

Ron Scott

I agree  on leaving the limbs over burning or roller chopping.  Roller chopping works well, but as stated, it would be costly to do on a small acreage. Its good site prep. prior to planting large acreages or for natural regeneration of areas of jack pine etc.
~Ron

Claybraker

I'm not a Forester, so I'm talking out of turn here, but based on my experience with having our plantation thinned your time might be better spent with a back pack sprayer going after invasives. I hates Sweet Gum. I'm not overly fond of Water Oak, Privet, Alianthus, Chinese Tallow or Paulowina either.

beenthere

QuoteWould a small roll-chopper be useful in this case?

Have not heard of a "small" roller chopper. IIRC they are very heavy and not very small to be able to chop limbs, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

No, not very small. The ones we used were pulled with a D-7 dozer which is a chopper in itself. ;)
~Ron

WDH

The drums are filled with water to make them very heavy.  I rarely see them anymore as site prep techniques have changed down here.  Less soil disturbance and more herbicides.

pine

Quote from: LaneC on December 14, 2014, 02:29:30 PM
  The limbs are piled pretty high, within 10 feet along the edge of the remaining standing trees.

From the way you worded this it sounds like they piled the debris from the PCT. 
Out our way, we often do and folks are encouraged to, put in the PCT contract that they are to be left where dropped.  Some even go so far as to say lengths are to be around 4 ft.  Thus they are in contact with the ground and will decay back into the soil.  A slow decay is better as it helps the nutrient level for a longer period.  If they are broken up too small (chopped) they decay too rapidly.

Ron Scott

We don't see many rolling choppers in use here anymore either. They were popular during the 1960's-1970's.
~Ron

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

They basically pushed up all the limbs into a pile. They do not have a lot of dirt in them, however some are pretty long. I think after the needles fall off of the limbs, it will not look as big as it does now. After at least a year I will try and have them stirred up, disperse them and let them finish rotting. Thanks for all the input.

WDH

The pile provides good escape cover for some critters, too.

enigmaT120

I have some in piles, which rot fairly fast around here.  But farther from the house (where my wife can't see it as easily) I sort of pile it in long, low rows.  We're not supposed to leave it sticking up very high here due to fire hazard.  I make sure I leave good trails around it, as I will probably be back working in there on something before it rots down enough to walk on easily.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!