iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red oak id

Started by chuck172, December 14, 2014, 06:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

I've been reading about winter bark id.  I've heard the red oak has "ski tracks" running down the tree. Can't really see them. Is this a good way to identify?

WDH

There are several red oaks with ski tracks as you call them.  Northern red oak, shumard oak, and scarlet oak.  In the South, the ski tracks are very distinct, and can be seen from a long way off.  Lots of good color contrast.  The Northern red oak that I have seen in Michigan does not exhibit the same depth of color and contrast.

Northern red oak in GA will have dark bark, almost black, with bright silver ski tracks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chuck172

The ski tracks don't seem to be very obvious here in the N.E., Unless I'm not looking for them correctly.

wdmn

Like these? http://www.oberursel.de/schulwald/assets/images/roteiche-rinde.JPG

Don't see this very often up here in my part of the north east either.

WDH

Much more dramatic than that.  The ski tracks are bright silver, and can be 2" wide. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wdmn

curdog

Here's what I envision when I think of northern red oak. All the one's we have around here have a distinct " ski slope appearance ". You can easily spot them at a distance.

chuck172

This is like abstract art to me. What are the ski tracts? Are they very long flat furrows?

WDH

curdog,

That is exactly what I was trying to describe.  The ski tracts are the silver streaks. 

wdmn

Interesting.

Looks more like this where I am: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Northern_Red_Oak_%28Quercus_rubra%29_bark_detail.jpg

Also, they're just "red oaks" up here, we drop the "northern" since we don't have any shumard or scarlet.

curdog

We have northern, southern,  scarlet,  black, water, willow, blackjack, very isolated amount of bear oak and probably a few more red oaks I'm overlooking.
I'm looking at the bark on the willow oak in my yard and it looks like the red oak you posted. Funny how trees are different from one area to another.   

beenthere

Quote from: wdmn on December 15, 2014, 09:48:33 AM
Interesting.

Looks more like this where I am: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Northern_Red_Oak_%28Quercus_rubra%29_bark_detail.jpg

Also, they're just "red oaks" up here, we drop the "northern" since we don't have any shumard or scarlet.

Where is "up here" ? 

No Black (velutina) in with the Northern (rubra)?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Down here, we are covered up in red oaks.  Many different species.  If you say "red oak" down here, I would ask, "which one?". 

You Northern types only have a very few oaks, and glaciation. 

wdmn

Yeah I know, I'm super jealous... oaks are awesome and glaciation not so much; it stole all our premium soil and gave it to you all. Now we mostly just have bedrock and glacial till. Mind you, I love it here anyway.

I'm in Ontario just above the range of velutina... but velutina is so uncommon except in a few very small isolated pockets of southern Ontario, that no one thinks twice about referring to Q. rubra just as "red oak".

WDH

Red oak down here is like the dude, Bubba I believe, on Forest Gump, that discusses all the ways to cook shrimp. 

(You would have to have seen the movie to understand this.....)

wdmn

haha, yeah I know what you're talking about; fried shrimp, shrimp gumbo, shrimp cocktail.... Well hopefully one day soon I'll make it down and see some of your forests; they must be something.

There are those working to restore some oak savanna in the southern parts of Ontario; bring back some more of that velutina...

WDH

There is more species diversity as you go South.  That holds true for trees and humans  :D. 

grweldon

I believe I have found many examples of each of these Red Oaks on my 60 acres in Central Alabama:

Scarlet Oak - Quercus coccinea
Southern Red Oak - Quercus falcata
Georgia Oak - Quercus georgiana
Darlington Oak - Quercus hemisphaerica
Laurel Oak - Quercus laurifolia
Blackjack Oak - Quercus marilandica
Water Oak - Quercus nigra
Willow Oak - Quercus phellos
Black Oak - Quercus velutina
Southern Live Oak - Quercus virginiana
Bluejack Oak - Quercus incana
Turkey Oak - Quercus laevis
Myrtle Oak - Quercus myrtifolia
Cherrybark Oak - Quercus pagoda
Pin Oak - Quercus palustris
Shumard Oak - Quercus shumardii

About three or four of these have very similar leaf types and could be misidentified, but still, that is quite a variety of Red Oaks on a relatively small plot.  I believe I also have several types of White Oak as well.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

curdog

Quote from: grweldon on December 18, 2014, 12:32:05 PM
I believe I have found many examples of each of these Red Oaks on my 60 acres in Central Alabama:

Scarlet Oak - Quercus coccinea
Southern Red Oak - Quercus falcata
Georgia Oak - Quercus georgiana
Darlington Oak - Quercus hemisphaerica
Laurel Oak - Quercus laurifolia
Blackjack Oak - Quercus marilandica
Water Oak - Quercus nigra
Willow Oak - Quercus phellos
Black Oak - Quercus velutina
Southern Live Oak - Quercus virginiana
Bluejack Oak - Quercus incana
Turkey Oak - Quercus laevis
Myrtle Oak - Quercus myrtifolia
Cherrybark Oak - Quercus pagoda
Pin Oak - Quercus palustris
Shumard Oak - Quercus shumardii

About three or four of these have very similar leaf types and could be misidentified, but still, that is quite a variety of Red Oaks on a relatively small plot.  I believe I also have several types of White Oak as well.
That is a pretty impressive variety, your place would be a one stop shop for a dendrology  class. There must be a wide range of soil types on your place. We have a place here locally that has a wide variety of tree's due to different sites, aspects and soil types and it makes a much more interesting tree ID  class for the students.

WDH

That is a whack of red oaks. 

thecfarm

Way too many oaks for me to keep track of.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray,

You are a man of few oaks  :D. 

thecfarm

WDH,that is true. I think I only have one kind of oak on mine land,Northern Red Oak,Quercus rubra
Most of the other oaks in Maine are not in my area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

Hey Danny, is Chinese Privet one of the Red Oaks?  I got acres upon acres of that too!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

I got a whack of it too.  Very hard to get rid of and keep rid of it. 

Thank You Sponsors!