iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting large fallen trees

Started by sr73087, December 13, 2014, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr73087

So I had a large dead tree fall in the woods the other day. It has been dead for at least a year or so. I was planning on cutting it down, but mother nature did it for me during the snowstorm we had right before Thanksgiving. Anyway I was in the process of cutting it up and got to a point where the tree had no points off the ground, but I couldn't use my timberjack because it was still connected to the stump and I still had around 30 ft still to cut up. How do most of you handle situations like this? I ended up digging under the tree to give myself space between the ground and then cutting a large V in the tree to avoid binding the saw. It worked, but it took awhile. Is there any easier way to go about situations like this?

thecfarm

A plastic wedge helps. Start the cut,and when you have enough room put a wedge in. Tap it in a little as you cut.The way you talk,no tractor? Watch out for the recent fallen over trees. Sometimes the stump will fall back into the hole again. I do some things that take "time" too. But I live to tell about.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sr73087

I have a small tractor but its only 12.5 hp. I always assumed I couldnt really haul too much with it.

clww

Cut the rootball off first. I've seen trees stand back up from the weight of the rootball settling back into it's original hole. If possible, place objects ( limbs, 4X4s, steel, etc) under the tree to support it and keep it off the ground. Space these out over several feet and this will help keep the chain out of the dirt. If you do get the bar pinched while cutting, a bottle jack can do wonders. I used one on the biggest oak tree I ever slabbed, getting it into position for cutting.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

How about a pic or two?

And your location in your bio would help too.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Years ago we had a cabin up in the waybacks. A tree had fallen across the entrance road with the rootball attached. Road up one evening to clear the road. Cut the tree about 9 foot or so from the rootball.

Tree stood right back up so fast it was unbeliveable. Lucky I didn't get hurt and learned a good lesson that will never be forgotten.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Ron Scott

A good reminder! I've got one blocking a road right now that I need to deal with, but may not get at it until spring.
~Ron

ALWOL

Like the others have said, cut it off the stump first. To do this safely without pinching saw, bore through the log and cut the heart out leaving two edge pieces holding, then snip those two pieces from the outside. You then have a loose log that can be rolled or lifted to finish cutting.
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

OneWithWood

I start at the top of the tree and work my way back to the root ball, cutting it off last.  Be attuned to the pinch points caused by limbs on the ground.  I generally clear all the limbs except the ones contacting the ground and then cut those as I work my way back.  I have found that working the tree top down minimizes the pinch points and keeps the bole off the ground.  The last couple of logs will rise as the root ball settles back down but if you know it is going to happen you can compensate for it.  I have never had one rear up quickly.  Usually it is a gradual rising.  If the last few lengths are still attached and the tree stands up just cut as you would falling a standing tree.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!