iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for mobile Mechanic in NH-MA

Started by Woodboogah, December 12, 2014, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

I am in search of a mobile mechanic.  Right now my machine is in need of injectors, at least one but would like to do them all.  The machine is located in Hollis, NH on a job.  I would preferably like someone who is willing to at least let me watch so I can learn.  I have done all my own work up until now.  I have never done injectors and I feel like it is out of my capabilities to do it right.  Maybe they are not that hard, I dont know.  Hey, maybe there is even someone on here that knows what the heck they are doing!  Thanks for any information.    OH! the engine is 4-53 detroit in a 240A  TJ
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Timbercruiser

Gotta have a detroit guy that knows do it the rack has to be set up. Its a dieing art to fix them good luck. :o

Woodboogah

Yea that is why I dont want to mess with it myself.  I would like to learn to do it but cant find anyone around that wants a go at it.  Maybe I will be learning the hard way, sometimes its the best way.

woodmills1

I am in hudson
My friend has a deisel guy that used to work for continetial paving
I can try to hook you up
PM for phone number
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bushmechanic

Woodboogah are you sure you have an injector gone? Have you pulled the top pan and done the hold down test on the injectors to see which ones may be at fault? Changing the injectors is not that bad, the biggest issue is having the injector height set correctly. As for the rack settings you can get away with those if you don't move anything and get it tuned at the first opportunity. 

loggah

Its no big deal to change injectors,you just need the timing pin to set their height. i actually did mine years ago with a vernier caliper. If i remember correctly the height was 1.460. You shouldnt have to touch your governor settings.The thing you really want to make sure you dont have any leaks in the fuel lines after you got it back together. A small leak will quickly fill your crankcase with diesel fuel!!! :-[ :-[ been there and done that.I caught it pretty quickly and had the cleanest Detroit engine for a few days. The engine oil never even got dirty for close to a week!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Woodboogah

I am almost certain I have one injector sticking.  I wouldnt mind doing this myself if I could find some step by step directions so I dont mess anything up.  I have not done the hold down test, how is it performed?  I will try it.  I know when I bought the machine the guy told me he thought there was one odd ball injector in there, N50 and the rest were N45's.  I thought theses were small for the 4-53? 

bushmechanic

To check for a dead injector this is how you do it, get a large flat top screwdriver. Take off the valve cover, the injectors have a rocker arm that actuates them, where the rocker arm meets the injector there is a round flat pad with a spring underneath. Start the machine up and let it idle, now take the screwdriver and push down on the round flat pad. This will take a considerable effort and the engine is running so it tends to be bouncy. You will hear a difference in the engine as you hold down the injector as you are effectively shutting down that injector. If you don't hear any difference in the engine then you likely have a bad injector. You shouldn't have different number injectors in the engine either, the N50 puts out more fuel than the N45 . You can get a service manual on CD on ebay for around 20 to 30 bucks, look for Series 53 Detroit Diesel. Hope this helps.

OntarioAl

Woodboogah
Check out this link. It is for a 71 series but the process to change an injector on a 53 series is the same. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSk3bTCxZ0U
You can also see the pad that bushmechanic was referring to.
Out of curiosity are you treating your fuel so as to replace the lubricity that is lacking in the low sulphur fuels that are the standard fare now?
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

bushmechanic

I just checked on you tube and there's a good video on there called "injector replacement detroit diesel 671" by zimtok . There is a few differences but it's pretty much what you have to do in a 453. Oh I see OntarioAl beat me too it lol .

tantoy

Woodboogah, If you have the time you should do it yourself. I had no diesel knowledge when I rebuilt my 3-53 this spring. Get the cd manual study it and give it a try.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

David-L

Ontario Al, would you say a qt of type-F tranny fluid every couple of tanks or so is ok as a lubricant in the fuel for the 53 series?

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Maine logger88

David that's what I use when I can't get stanadyne I figure it's gotta help
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

OntarioAl

David
That's what I use in all my diesels (3) I have been following the advice of a Detroit Diesel dealership shop foreman for almost 30 years.
When I started the lubricity was still in  the fuel and at that time he said that a quart of AT fluid once a month was good for the injection system. Now I put 1/2 quart for ten gallons. (12 US)
It might be a tad more than is required but I feel its cheap insurance
The other 2 diesels are a IH in a 500E loader and a Yanmar in a JD 430.
Al
Al Raman

coxy

you don't have to mess with the rack to put injectors in a Detroit  I do it pretty often for people  but you do need to set the injectors  also you can do the manifold for hot and cold ports

David-L

The hot cold test works well, also can pull the exhaust manifold and that can tell alot about what's happening. I would start with the screwdriver test first though. A new valve cover gasket isn't' much money. Good luck Woodboogah. You wet in Hollis, I'm underwater hear. ( MUD ) Central, Mass.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

rockwall

You can download a complete detroit diesel shop manual from here  http://detroitdieselmanuals.blogspot.com/    It has everything you would ever want to know about the detroit diesel with step by step insructions. You have to pay for it but it isn't much and you get the manuals immediately.

Woodboogah

Thanks for all the advice.  I may try to give it a go.  Doesnt look to bad.  I will get the CD online for a guide.  David-I have not taken a stick out wood out of the woods in two weeks (one of those weeks I couldnt get my mind off hunting so I was hunting most of the week) I have wood down with the anticipation of a freeze but no such luck.  I am still home now and I am going crazy, I will take a ride this morning to see how it is, probably no better.  I got my pick up stuck on the truck road in last week, it was like driving up a river bed.

Woodboogah

Ontario Al I use Lucas injector treatment.  I have been told to use tranny fluid as well. 

Woodboogah

Here is some what of an update.  I pulled valve cover yest. and found that there is at least one totally different injector there is a n50 n45 c50 n50.  This has been like this since I have run the machine.  It has ran fine, but I am wondering if it has finally caught up to it?  The machine seems to run fine.  I can here a pop almost like a miss fire when it it idling in the morning warming up.  Runs fine then it will lose power like its not getting fuel, ill stop and it clears up, and I continue on my way.  I almost wonder if I am getting a fuel like collapsing?  Pouring rain here yet again.  Either way  I am going to change out the two odd ball injectors but any thoughts as to what else could be the issue?

BargeMonkey

My 230 with a 353 did the same thing, couldnt figure it out, filters, checked everything. One of the  fittings on the filter housing had junk built up before and in the 90 degree fitting, after the filter. My mechanic figured it out, havent had trouble since. I would check the fuel supply.

Woodboogah

Thanks, bargemonkey.  Every little bit counts right now.  I will check in the morn.

coxy

mine did the popping when it was cold like you say keep running it then it went bang it sucked a valve it went through the piston wiped out the sleeve and the head will never do that again when it stars popping when its cold I pull the head  but thats just me     once bitten twice shy  ;D

Woodboogah

Coxy when you had the popping going on was it all the time or just every once in a while at idle?  I will start it, it starts as usual, idles fine and every once and a while I will here a slight change in the rpm's, not sure how else to describe it but as pop but its just for an instant. then its fine.  I can run it but it seems like once there is any load whether its a steep hill or hook up some wood I will lose power but its not all the time.  I am stumped

bushmechanic

I think BargeMonkey hit the nail on the head and your not getting a steady supply of fuel. Could be junk in the tank, bad line, fuel filters. Look for 90 degree fittings as they are usually where dirt hangs up.

Thank You Sponsors!