iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter's here

Started by johnnyllama, December 12, 2014, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

Well, woke up to 26" of snow on the ground yesterday and spent 5 hours plowing. I guess no sawing for a little while now. My logs are pretty well buried somewhere in the drifts. The 10' overhang keeps most of the snow off the mill but an east wind blew in more than normal. I'm grabbing a bigger tarp!

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

EZ

I don't think I could ever get used to that much snow. I get mad when we get two inches. ;D ez

blade69001

Yeah that might be a bit much for me as well. I am sure it would be nice and warm in front of the fire.
But then if we get two inches it is the storm of the year here.
Sean P.

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Chuck White

This NorEaster that's been buzzing around for the last 10 days or so is something else.

I cleaned out my driveway twice yesterday.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ocklawahaboy

I had to run the defroster to get the frost off the windshield two days in a row.  Life is rough down here.

Nichols

50 degrees and fog here today. This winter is getting rough!    :D
You guys up north can keep that white stuff!!!!!
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

bigred1951

i wish i could wake up to just half that much snow. I do hate the cold but i always love the snow but it seems around here we rarely get much anymore  :(

Skidder Kev

bigred be careful what you wish for.  last year we never got a melt mid winter so being in town we can get some pretty good snow banks at the end of our driveways.  If we got one more snow fall I would of had to get the skidsteer and dump trailer and move some of it to our yard just so we could see if any traffic was coming when we pulled out of our drive way.  That and the -30s didn't help.

kev

bandmiller2

Part of living up north is being prepared for the snow and having all your ducks in a row. Pick up all your tools, have everything you need under cover. Squared away dudes have a heated shop and use the time to build and maintain your machinery. You can't fight it but you can outsmart it and be prepared. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Southside

I know what you mean about winter being here, today it was barely above 55 and I had to wear a long sleeve shirt when changing the brakes on my wife's van in the driveway, is it ever going to warm up???
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Foxtrapper

Yea, we didn't get that much, thankfully, but we got enough to have to plow out the driveway and farm buildings.  Ever notice how that hard jobs during the summer get three times as hard in the winter.. :D
2014 WoodMizer LT28

johnnyllama

I spent most of my life working outdoors in all types of weather. Too many memories of building in below zero temperatures, fighting through snowstorms, etc. Now I walk 150' from my house to my heated 40x60' shop and watch the weather thru the window. The sawmilling will wait until nicer days! Here's our 1/4 mile driveway as I'm opening it up.

Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Skidder Kev

Nice photo!   Always nice to have somewhere warm to work in this weather. 

Chuck White

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 12, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
Part of living up north is being prepared for the snow and having all your ducks in a row. Pick up all your tools, have everything you need under cover. Squared away dudes have a heated shop and use the time to build and maintain your machinery. You can't fight it but you can outsmart it and be prepared. Frank C.

Agreed, our little John Deere comes out of it's hiding place, removes the snow then goes back to his shed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rando

Johnnyllama,
I was wondering how much snow was in central NY. We have a place about an hour or so east of you, near Norwich. The better half goes up this coming week and seems she'll be using the snow blower! Good thing I started it a couple weeks ago after a long hiatus sitting on the porch all summer.

Swatson

Seeing your photos makes me glad I'm a southern boy.  We get a couple inches a few times a year, rarely a foot or two and let me tell you that stops things in its tracks here.

This was in 2011 when they were calling for a major event with accumulations up to six inches...well they were wrong and we got 24"!  Needless to say I wasn't ready for that.  My poor little tractor was sitting outside because I moved my truck onto the shop so I wouldn't have to clean the snow off.  I made wrong choice :D
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

chevytaHOE5674

At least your winter held off until December. Our first 26" of snow was on the ground like the 10th of November. Thankfully we've had a little lull this week and it hasn't snowed much.

beenthere

QuoteHere's our 1/4 mile driveway as I'm opening it up.

Johnny
Find a spot in the corner of the warm shop for that plow rig  ;D

And you might like a wing for that 1/4 mile drive to help out.  ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

johnnyllama

beenthere,
  That's a nice setup. I have been thinking about something along those lines myself. I do need to keep a bank along that left side though, as it acts as a guard rail to kepp sliding cars from slipping over the edge. At the upper part of drive there's about a 100' drop through the woods to the creek below. Normally the tractor is in the shop at night but I've got a big cabinet job in there now taking up all the floor space.

thecfarm

5 hours is some long tractor time. I do a 500 foot driveway with a rear mounted snow blower and than the old farm house driveway. I plowed one year and brought the snow blower the next and like it alot. I even used it to blow out the woods road a few times. I just like the snow blower better. No planing where the snow will go. I only have to do what I need cleared. I can do the 500 foot driveway quick. I lose all the time up by the house. The snow can only go one way. I've only had a few 2 foot storms in the 14 years I have lived here. They are no fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Beensy, that's one dandy wing plow is that of your own design and construction.?? Frank C.

bandmiller2

Cfarm, hope you don't get a stiff neck turning around to watch the blower. I usually use a JD 420 with a front plow but lately have been blowing it with a dandy old ariens blower, fewer big snow banks. Frank C.

dgdrls

Once your ducks are in a row, go out and enjoy it!
Ski, skate or snow-shoe.  May get the chance to Ice fish this year.
No good trying to hide from it, it just makes for a long depressing season.

DGDrls

johnnyllama

dgdris,
  I see you're pretty close by, only a few miles from us here in Tully. How wide a slab can you cut on the Lucas Mill?

beenthere

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 14, 2014, 08:37:03 AM
Beensy, that's one dandy wing plow is that of your own design and construction.?? Frank C.

Yes to the question. Finally came together winter of 09-10. Don't use it more than 2-4 times a winter, but it mounts quick, and comes off quick.
Video of maiden run, which was moving pretty slow being first time out.
Works much better than ever expected it would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4SJxqzm-hc

Older threads here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41783.msg604479.html#msg604479

and/or
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41783.msg604479.html#msg604479
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!