iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood conveyor project

Started by Wallys World, December 11, 2014, 11:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

I purchased this old conveyor that was on a debarker line at a old saw mill the other day. I plan to make it into a mobile firewood conveyor. it is 20 feet long. Rough but salvageable. 

Don't really know what kind of chain this is, Mill chain?

I paid $110 for it, I don't think I did too bad.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

WmFritz

That should do the job for you. What will you power it up with?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Wallys World

I have a 6.5 horse gas motor and a small trailer axle for it already. Won't have time to play until after Christmas, too busy with wreaths, swags, and garland and more. We are a vendor at downtown Lynchburg VA Community Market.

Last Saturday in the rain.

Horse shoe art.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallys World

Thanks beenthere, I may need some links and attachments for it. I think I will shorten it by about 2 feet to get rid of the mess at the drive end where the guy that removed it tore it out from the debarker area. I asked my wife for more "Blue Creeper" for Christmas!

thecfarm

Looks like those links will move some wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ALA2

looks like a great price, should last a life time.

timberlinetree

Nice find and a conveyor really helps out a lot. Love Lynchburg our son goes to school there. Our family has sawmills in Floyd and Powatan. Nice crafts you have for sale.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

landscraper

Did you pick that up a little bit north of Lovingston?  There was one advertised down there on CL that looked a lot like that.  That guy always has a wide array of interesting stuff.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Wallys World

Yes, that is where I got it. He has quite the assortment, Stopped earlier in the summer to check stuff out, I try to watch CL for his stuff. He is tearing a sawmill apart somewhere close by his place. He said it was "up the road".

landscraper

I thought that was the same one.  I'm up here on the southern edge of Greene County.  Good luck with the conveyor, and the craft booth too - I do a little of that as well from time to time, all crafted wood products, people really like the locally produced stuff up here.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Wallys World

Finally got a chance to get back on the conveyor project.

Unloading it with the Timber Talon

Rebuilt the idler pulley, thank goodness for "Blue Creeper"! Pulley shaft was out of it mounting hole one one side and bracket was bent. Used "Blue Creeper" to loosen up the collars and shaft to get it apart then welded up the shaft keeper. Works good now. Replaced the tensioner rod also.

Drive end. Pulled the gear box off, I think I'll cut it back to "good" metal and rebuild the mounts for everything.

Gearbox

Metal is bad so I think it will be easier to cut it off and start over. It was buried in the dirt where it came from.

thechknhwk

I want the timber talon 8)  Good luck with your wood conveyor.

Wallys World

I don't know what I did before I got it. Oh, it was manual labor!  Been bringing out firewood loads with it right know. Much faster than skidding it all out.

PacInc

This particular conveyor is used to move saw dust from under the main saw to a vibratory conveyor that delivers the sawdust to the storage bin or blown into a trailer... The larger saws produce more sawdust so more flight bars are attached to the chain to move the increased sawdust they produce..  It can move some bark depending on the size of the chain, but it is normally a double row chain with heavier bar for moving the heavier weight of the bark....  I have heard of it being called "Ladder Back" because of the way the chain looks... A good score on your part...

Wallys World

Been working on the conveyor here and there as time permits. Picked up a 8 horse power Briggs motor off a Craftsman chipper. It has about an inch of striaght shaft before the taper on the crank. My machine shop guy can make a belt pulley to fit although.

Paid $85 for it and it runs great. Even has the old base from the chipper that I can use for mounting it.

Wallys World

I haven't  worked on the firewood  conveyor  for quite  a while. I sold that one a couple  of weeks  ago to another firewood  ministry buddy. When I lived in New York state my buddy Glenn  and I had a firewood  business.  We collected  quite  the assortment  of equipment including a 30 foot hay elevator that we configured to firewood use. He now has a inoperable brain tumor and wants to clean  off his land. We brought a 20 foot  trailer up and loaded it up this morning.  Heading  back to Virginia  tomorrow morning. Loaded great and it's  all chained down and ready to roll. 

hedgerow

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Be safe and have a good trip home. I know I wouldn't want to be with out my old gravel conveyor. It sure saves my back doing firewood. I pulled it home 500 miles when I bought it. That was a trip. 

Wallys World

Got back home all safe. Tomorrow morning I'll Blue Creeper it all up.

Wallys World

I got it running last night. Greased all fittings, lubed the chains and plugged it in and

off it went. At first had to keep pulling on a belt as it would stall out. Ran it for about 1/2 hour. Next is to move it to the processor and really test it. It hadn't been run in 20 years.

hedgerow

Keep the spray oil handy. She start loosen up the more you run it. I like the old Cushman in the back ground. I have two we use around the farm one is older than that one and one looks just like that one. 

Wallys World

Set up last night to do a test with the processor. I have a load of oak on the grapple trailer to go thru it. After this I am going to move everything  down to the church wood lot to process there. We have around 25 cords of logs to do.

Wallys World

Some of the logs to be processed.

hedgerow

You have a job ahead of you. Good work out for the processor and conveyor. Keeps raining here I can't get beans out of the field or firewood processed. Looks like we get threw this next storm and then maybe a 10 day dry spell. Next couple nights we are suppose to get some hard freeze. Be safe cutting that wood. 

Wallys World

All set up for this afternoon's  test run!

I have the dump trailer hooked to the Ford F250.

Thank You Sponsors!