iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on tabacco

Started by timberlinetree, December 11, 2014, 05:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Although I'm not a fan of tobacco, my friend really needed a hand and with muddy conditions and waiting for a skidder part I was able to help. This is the barn. It gets filled in Aug and taken down and processed on damp Dec days.

This is taken it down. Its like a bunch of monkeys up their.

There is six plants to a stick.

We took down 3 layers the whole length of the barn. This stuff is used to wrap cigars.

I don't like doing this but had to >:(!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BBK

At one time, long ago, we used to raise 150± acres of tobacco. All was handled just like your pictures.

Hard work but at one time profitable. We took the buyout from Maryland in the early 90's and quit tobacco.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

ely

where can you get tobacco seed from... I would like to grow a few plants just to see if I could.

LaneC

You can get them online. I think heirloom seeds has them. They are smaller than a turnip seed. Very, very small. Just google "Heirloom tobacco seeds and they should come up.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Compensation

Quote from: ely on December 11, 2014, 09:22:28 AM
where can you get tobacco seed from... I would like to grow a few plants just to see if I could.

http://www.thetobaccoseed.com/
I bought mine from here. I got black mammoth and golden something. I forget the name.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Buckshot00

That brings back some not so fond memories.  I barned tobacco every summer from age 12 through 18.  It was some hot, sticky, gummy stuff.  Cropped on foot, on the harvester, drove the harvester, tied, and hung it in the barn.  Good hard work.  Got paid $1.75 an hour.

reswire

Quote from: BBK on December 11, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
At one time, long ago, we used to raise 150± acres of tobacco. All was handled just like your pictures.

Hard work but at one time profitable. We took the buyout from Maryland in the early 90's and quit tobacco.

Know what you mean!  Everyone in Southern Maryland shook hands with King Tobacca.   I remember the way it made my eyes burn when hanging and taking down.   I do miss it though.  I don't think you can get type 32 Maryland tobacco anymore.  Believe the state holds the patent on the seed and stopped production and breeding of that strain.  Remember the red dried leaves?  $1.80  per pound?  I got out when the bottom fell out of the market.  Miss those days....and my youth!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Southside

Fair bit of it grown around these parts, growing the stuff and all the chemicals that are used with it are really hard on the land. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

coxy

there is a lot of cigars in that barn  ;D

EZ

So what's it smell like in the barn. EZ

timberlinetree

It kinda smells nice/sweet. What is really kinda neat is that I can't speak Puerto Rican but can laugh it. Sometimes I don't know what I laughing at( probably me) but I join in. We don't speak the same language but laugh the same laugh! :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!