iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Career Opportunities in Forestry and Logging

Started by BlaBla, August 11, 2004, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

I started visiting this forum because my family owns some forest land. I was intrigued by the whole range of topics I see daily.

I've thought about it for several months and decided that I'm very interested in going to college for a forestry/business major. What can you all tell me about a forestry career? Job outlook, different variations, universities with forestry, etc.?

Thanks

Oldtimer

This type of work is very rewarding. But it sure isn't the ultimate wage earner. Economic downturns hit the timber industry first. In winter climates, cold and deep snow limit you. Mud season stops us here in the north  from march 10 to april 20th, on average. In summer, it can rain for a month straight and stop you cold. Landowners are troublesome creatures. The cost of fuel for trucks/logging equipment is never going down, just up. Insurance for the forest worker is just INSANE. The whole world will flip out now if they see 6" of mud on your landing.  Finding competent labor is about impossible. Competition is fearsome in some areas of the country. Trying to read 200 year old deeds is folly. Mills get more and more picky by the day...."Oh my lord, there is a broken end on that piece of pulp!!"..... On top of all this, it is hard work, at least the logging end of it is. Far as I can tell, everyone wants to be the guy with the can of blue paint, not the guy with the chainsaw. And who could blame them? The cost of the education / blue paint is not quite as hard to get as the logging equipment and payroll that goes with it.
I am not trying to shy you away from this line of work, I just want you to know what lies in store for the newbie.

The forestry/logging industry is not where it's at here in NH anymore. It is in Land conversion. Lot clearing, well, septic, foundation hole/backfill, driveway finishing.

There is a "service" here that charges you to take stumps (And charges dearly) then tumbles them for the loam ($20 + dollars a yard delivered), grinds the stumps, and the end product is pretty colored chips. Lots and lots of chips. He just purchaced 5 new (nice nice) Tractor trailors, and they run all day every day except Sunday. And you have to load your own stumps in the trailer. He can't load them, just unload.

If you go to school for Forestry, I would imagine the best forestry schools are in the most heavily forested states. I bet Maine has a good program.
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

Kirk_Allen

I would suggest contacting several of your state foresters.  Usually they work directly with the Department of Natural Resources.  

Depending on your interests there are many ways to "be in the woods".

I have a friend that is a DNR  cop. His primary job is fish & wildlife enforcment but he is in the woods regulary and deals with many land owners and forestrers.

I know that although we do not have much forest in Illinois when compared to ther states, the University of Illinois does have a Forestry degree program.

Since you will need a 4 year degree for forestry you have plenty of time during your first two years to determine if this is truly what you want to do.  

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a forestry degree from the University of Alaska and tried to get on with the State Department of Fish & Game.  

Oh yeh, I would still do my custom cutting on the side 8)

Cedarman

There is plenty of opportunity.  Keep a very open mind.  Urban forestry can be great.  When flying into an airport, look how green things are.  You might not be doing much logging, but tremendous management possibilities. Be a consultant to nursuries. Combat formosan termites in Louisiana. Kansas is being overrun with cedar.  They are getting close to having a blight free chestnut. How will it be introduced into our forests. What can be done with all the pine in southern Indiana?
Get excited! Be the best.  Always room for good people in the woods. Check out which universities have the best reputation in forestry.  Visit. Talk to some students, graduates. Remember, you will make your opportunities.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tillaway

Is forestry still good to get into?  Was it ever good? ;D  My recommendation if you really want to persue it is to get a 4 year degree and try to work for the largest company or a state, county, or city forestry department.  Don't bother trying for a federal job. GIS skills are now mandatory, minor in cartograghy or lean heavy to GIS.  This makes you very valuable in the current market.

One of the new guys working out here in Oregon went to Wisconsin- Stevens Point.  He got his job because one of his profs used to teach out west and insisting on teaching some cable logging systems.  The reason was you never know where you might end up working.  It proved to be very beneficial for him.  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

BlaBla

What is GIS?

Are urban foresters in more demand? Is forest management a separate degree than forestry?

IndyIan

Hi BlaBla,
GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems or sometimes called Geomatics.  It's alot of computer work but I'd think every forestry education course would have a course or two on GIS.  It's not a big deal and once you learn to use it it can save you alot of time.  
Good Luck,
Ian

Oldtimer

QuoteWhat is GIS?

Are urban foresters in more demand? Is forest management a separate degree than forestry?

I have a friend from another forum who does GIS type stuff for the NYDOT. I can hook you up with him if you like. He is a great guy, and would gladly offer advice as best he could.

PM me if you would like to talk to him.
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

Tillaway

GIS, also includes database management.  You really need to add a little programming as well.  You need to know how to design and maintain relational databases.  Making maps is only a small part.  Relating the information about features on the maps is where its at.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!