Sponsors:

husky 55 rancher

Started by Coot, August 11, 2004, 07:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coot

lookin at gettin one and was woundering what size of bar it comes with

Kevin

13"-20"
I would opt for the 18" bar on that saw but it depends on what you'll be cutting with it.

Timberwerks

Mine came with a 20"(see my post below). I replaced the 20" for a 16" since I wanted the saw for smaller logs. I love this saw and look forward to using it everday. I did have to adjust the carb a bit but so far no problems.

Dale

DanManofStihl

My neighbor has used his 55 rancher for about 3 or 4 years cutting every now and then It is in good condition his has an 18 inch bar on it and he likes it alot.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Ron Scott

A good saw from what I know and hear about it. Husky still seems to be holding on to it after a couple years of saying its being replaced.

~Ron

MemphisLogger

My cousin just felled a 30" Slippery Elm with my 55 and he said "No problem".

I use it all the time for trimmin up logs on the mill.

Great saw at a great price.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

NewEnglandTreeSvc

I use my 55 alot; it's pretty much my "general" saw. It's the one I'm using in my avatar to block down a 94' pine.
<===

Fairly light for the bar it will pull, and it has great balance. Mine has a 20" bar, and I run 72LG on it.
Erik Lovell, Arborist

Woodhog

I have one of these saws for my spare saw....

It cuts good and no complaints there, however I find it

very hard to pull, it has a lot of compression when first starting, I think it should be equipped with a de compression
valve...also takes 5-6 pulls to get it going, I have a bad elbow and shoulder so maybe a strong young fella wouldnt be bothered with the starting kick...

Everyone I have talked says it is a good dependable
 saw...

I have noticed some of them will leak a VERY small amount of
fuel from somewhere, my dealer once had 4 sitting on the floor trying to find one that would not leak for a real fussy customer...

I paid 400.00 CDN for mine and have an 18 inch bar on it.

Coot

400cdn was that sale cause they told me it was 530cdn

Timberwerks

Woodhog

That leak actually comes from the fuel tank breather. Nothing really to worry about. Mine will leak slightly if the tank is over full or I tip the saw from side to side. I put the 20" bar back on my saw and was surprised how well it pulls. A friend of mine has a 026 pro and say's mine seems to pull a little stronger even though his 026 has slightly more rated hp.

Dale

NewEnglandTreeSvc

I also have the 55 (not rancher) and that saw DOES have the decompressor. I can't destinguish any difference in power between the two, although there is supposed to be some.

If you look on the chain cover side of the 55R, you should see a flat spot in the cylinder fins. You could have a shop drill and tap it for a decompress valve for under $30. This is the spot the valve is in on the 55.
Erik Lovell, Arborist

Woodhog

Coot.. Yes they had a sale ,  he sold dozens of those 55s
at 400.00 per saw Canadian...

New England... Tks for the tip regarding de-compression
valve location, I will get it installed before I start up in the
woods when it cools of a bit....Too old to stand the heat this
time of year...

NewEnglandTreeSvc

QuoteToo old to stand the heat this
time of year...

Amen to that!