iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic hard lines

Started by brendonv, December 09, 2014, 08:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Im rear mounting my grapple trailer this winter.

I am leavin the power pack up front, but need to run the pressure and return lines to the rear. Its about 17'. What options can i do myself without have 17'+ of rubber line out back.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Jhenderson

I'd use black iron pipe with nipples and straight pipe thread to and from flex hose. All of the mounting hardware would be readily available at the local hardware store.

loggah

We used to use 1/2" black iron pipe to run lots of hydraulics on Thiokol and Bombardier  snow vehicles at the ski area.We never had any problems with pipe bursting, and we ran around 2400 P.S.I.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

If you have a hydraulic shop nearby, you might be able to get a couple of pieces of steel hydraulic line cut to make the run. It might actually be cheaper than hose, which has gone a bit nuts around here lately. You could also run steel pipe, but I don't know what schedule would work. I know that in the smaller diameters, you can get away with it. I personally would go with the steel hydraulic line or hose for peace of mind.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Surplus centers rubber hoses are extremely cheap.

www.VorioTree.com

clww

Until they burst, leaving you in a pinch.
I would run iron pipe or solid tubing.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lopet

What's the reason for rear mounting ?   Just curious
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

brendonv

Right now I only use 90* of rotation. Rear mounting would allow me to use 360, more maneuverable, better reach for residential jobs, easier to unload.

I will do a thread on it mid project. I just had some brackets flame cut and gotta run to steel supply.

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the heads up on Surplus Center. I need a 120" 3/8 MNPT 3,000 psi hose. Only $19.95! 8) I bet that would be $120 in town. >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ohiowoodchuck

Go with a schedule 80,120 or 160. Schedule 40 would probably give you some trouble on the threaded ends. It gets a little thin when you thread it. Have used schedule 120 in 2" at 3500 psi and relief at 4000 with no problems. The problem a man might run into with the hydraulic tubing and this is just speaking from my experience I have had with Parker brand is it takes a extreme amount of torque to set the swedge. There is a machine that does it for this. I repaired a 42mm line one time and it took around 3200 ft lbs of torque to set the swedge. I just don't want to see somebody get hurt. Hydraulic pressure can kill.
Education is the best defense against the media.

brendonv

Same here!  I've never had problems with them. Ran them on my mini loader grapple. That gets scraped and bumped a lot.

www.VorioTree.com

Reddog

sch 40 Black pipe works fine on the return side.
But it can rust inside causing your filters to plug quicker.

pineywoods

I added hydraulics to a manual WM lt40. Didn't know any better and ran 1/2 inch black iron pipe with a short surplus center hose at both ends. Worked so well (cheap), I built 2 more in the same manner. Never a problem at 2500 psi. Busted 1 inch hose on a neighbors knuckle boom loader, over $100 for a new hose. I used black iron pipe instead, still working just fine...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

brendonv

Without starting a new topic, and staying on the same track of hydraulics...

Learning alot here...

The loader is powered with a 9 hp honda and hydro pump pack. Say if i wanted to speed up the loader functions, id assume id have to get a bigger motor and bigger pump?  Im assuming that you cant just change the pump, or motor vise versa, and get a different result?  It would take a change in the pair correct?

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

I'd bet that the engine/pump combo was closely matched from the factory. I don't know the psi/gpm that a 9hp can handle, but that would be the place to start.

brendonv

I figured so that they would match them pretty close. Prob one of those things best left.

www.VorioTree.com

Reddog

Not only a new pump and power, but the valve body might be to small also.

So you would need to review the sizing on the whole system.

ohiowoodchuck

A good rule of thumb is gpm x psi x .0007

Dave Shepard

That gives the HP required? That is good to know, thanks.

ohiowoodchuck

Yes just figure out the pressure you need and the gallons per minute.  Say 5gpm x 1500 psi=7500x.0007=5.25hp

lopet

Thanks   that's good to know.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Gadrock

in a past lifr I have used self locking fittings on high pressure lines....5000 psi...on stainless steel tubing with ZERO failue. That was on on gasses for breathing mixtures.

Like Piney suggests regular ole black iron pipe works well with NPT threaded fittings even at 2400 psi. Schedule 40 pipe like that is rated somewhere near 180 psi. So where is the difference? I do not know. But I have made several steel tube silver soldered adapters and they work in the 3500 psi range. Before attempting I highly reccomend some good training on techniques. Those ends are readily available to fit with JIC, ORS, and many different closures. And they are a whole lot neater than threaded thing like NPT.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Polish Hammer

Dont use black pipe for hydraulics. with the flood of chinese black pipe of poor quality cast it should never be used for hydraulic applications. use steel or stainless it worth the extra money. personally I would use 2 wire hydraulic hose and run it inside a steel tube that you can weld or mount for protection. test fit everything first and if you happy solid mount it. hoses are easy to replace, soild pipe is not if its damaged.
Cat 322c fmhw with waratah 622, Komatsu PC200-7 FM with waratah 622b, Timberjack 450b grapple, timberjack 660c grapple, Tigercat 630c grapple, John Deere 853j Buncher, echo saws

Thank You Sponsors!