iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OMG a huge live oak burl!!!

Started by mmartone, December 09, 2014, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

So Jack picked this up for us yesterday...

So how do I can I, cut or sell it as is or what? guidance please wood gurus
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

woodman58

Find a local woodturning club and ask what size they would need to turn bowls and other things.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

There is a few on here that do burl work, one does pool cues and the like, I guess keep it dry and do some searching on the forum, I just cant' remember their names.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Member Qbuilder could prob shed some light on that burl.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

woodjunky

cut it thin and thick. Then put it in the Oak section of the burl section of your wood hoard...... Thats what I would do :)

mmartone

How thick and how thin and in what direction??
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

hunz

That should be an interesting burl to cut. I think live oak is the densest wood in North America, someone may correct me on that. My biggest concern would be ending up with bowls before someone can turn them!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

LeeB

Live oak burl is extremely hard and can dull a turning tool in seconds. Hard to dry too. Cracks like crazy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

clock blanks 1"
Bowls 3"-4" or even thicker
Position with best face up and keep putting the best face up (not conserned about square)
Busting it down to managable peices would be a good option as well. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mmartone

I was out looking at this and have no idea what direction to cut. Just up and down paralell to the tree/wood grain? Managable chunks for me or the tractor? Its huge.. thats the one thing I do know about it.

backwoods sawyer

Managable for the mill ;D

you and the tractor may have to fend for your selves ;D

Lay it out like a log.
If it is to big for the mill make your chainsaw cuts thru the worst wood to make it manageable on the mill. Being hollow taking a flatening cut off the inside can help clean up the undesireable stuff.
You may need a sacrificial board or two to help clamp up the chunks. Think: end tables, clock faces, artsy peices, and Bowl blanks ect.
An 8x18x18 makes a stack of bowls it the turner has a multiple bowl cutting tool, if not it only makes one big bowl and it takes the right lathe to turn it. 3-4x12x12  3-4x8x8 are comon sizes for bowls.
Take a look at the cherry bowl up for auction here. Cracks like that don't alway hold together, but when they do that make an artsy candy bowl. I mill quite a bit of unique wood at 4x4x8 for a local bowl turner that makes wooden travel mugs with a liner but that is a specifily for him.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jueston

if you look online you can find blanks of almost any size. bigger blanks bring in more money, but will likely be harder to find the buyer for, things like 2by2 can be used for pepper mills or bottle stoppers, 1by1 or 3/4by3/4 for pen blanks,  if its pretty inside, then every scrap is sellable, but it might  be harder to find a  buyer for this then the average piece of wood.

mmartone

Well we cut it tonight into big pieces, it was so long that I had to finish the cut from the other end with my 32" bar. We are going to cut some of the mill, slabs and not sure what to do with the rest yet. Thanks for all your guidance

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

blade69001

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Kasba

I belong to a woodturning guild near me and most members have bigger lathes.  I work quite a bit with burls and I usually start with as many 14" - 15" x 5-6" blocks I can get. I then work in the 12" size and keep going down in size to utilize the what is left in the burl, a good rule of thumb that we use for thickness is a minimum of 1/3 the width of the block or more (ie.12" would be 4"). That is definitely a nice oak burl what was the size of it?
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Thank You Sponsors!