iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mounting rear snowblower on front.

Started by Three Maples, December 09, 2014, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Maples

Wondering if anyone has mounted a rear snowblower on the front of a tractor.  I have a 90 hp MF and a 7 ft blower. Thinking about a pto pump and motor. 

shinnlinger

If you think your tractor hydraulics can run that motor, fab up a mount  for your FEL and plumb it up.   The direction of rotation would be a problem if running off pto but the hydro motor gives you a lot of flexibility.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

3 maples
Tell us more about what snowblower and what tractor you are thinking of this mod for?

How about some more info in your bio (under your profile) ?  Helps with answers and suggestions ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

That is going to take some serious oil to run, unless you have the pump lying around I think it would be an expensive endeavor.  Back when we lived in snow country I was going to do something similar but planned to use a 4WD transfer case to get the PTO power up front, I ended up finding an old adjustable BOSS V plow and rigged that up instead and was very happy. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Reddog

Take a look at how Schulte does it for high hp tractors and source a smaller rated 180 gear box.
Frame and lift would be a easy build.

http://www.schulte.ca/product/snow_removal/fm3502.html

Another frame and gear box mfg.

http://www.lorenzmfg.com/front_mount_kits.htm

If you have a Front loader already there is a way to limit lift and use the pto up front also.

Dig around his channel and you find a bunch on that 110 loader blower set up.

Jump to the 4:30 point and you can see him hooking it up.

http://youtu.be/d055NB568Cg?t=4m30s

Three Maples

Yes I have a front loader which i fabricated to accept bobcat quick switch and would like to use hydraulics.  I would mount a pro pump fabricate a pump and use hydraulic motor.  The problem is the cost if it does not work. The tractor is a Massey Ferguson 90 hp tractor and the blower a 7 ft puma.

Piston

It can be done for sure, and other's have done it. 

In order to mount the blower on the front end loader, you would need a PTO driven hydraulic pump, resevoir, cooler, hoses, fittings etc. which all mounts to your 3 point hitch.  You would basically need to build a hydraulic power pack, which you can also purchase.  Of course, you can build one, but that depends on your time, money, and skill level.  If you were to build one, I'd recommend copying one of these designs...

I know Landpride and Quick Attach both sell them, and I'm sure there are more....
Here is the complete kit, from Quick Attach, including a new 7' blower, and power pack that turns out 3k PSI at 24GPM.  This would probably run around 8k-10k dollars.  http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments/hydraulicpowerunit/hp24-85-inch/

Here is just the Power Pack from Landpride, 3k PSI at 30GPM This one would cost between 5k-6k dollars.  http://www.landpride.com/products/90/hrs30-series-hydraulic-reservoir-systems

The other option, which would probably run your blower a lot more efficiently, would be a front mount kit, that connects to your rear PTO, like Reddog posted.  Pronovost also sells a kit like this, and I believe Lorenz may as well, and possibly Erskine...The kit would include a reversing gearbox as well.  I never see them for sale used. 

I believe they are around 3 grand for the kit, but don't quote me on that.  This could be your most cost efficient way to go if you want to use your current blower.
There is a member on here who has a similar setup, I'm trying to think of his name at the moment.   ::)

Is the tractor a cab tractor?  What model is it?  If it's cab, you could save a ton of money and hook up a rear facing camera similar to what vehicles have, but this isn't ideal either. 

A third (and in my opinion FAR superior) option, would be to sell your snowblower, put some money with it, and purchase an inverted (pull behind) snowblower.  Unless you live somewhere that gets over 2-3' on a regular basis at one time (which you may???) then an inverted blower on a 90hp tractor, would be the ideal compliment in many different situations. 

This way, you leave your FEL on, and use it when needed.  You also drive forward, saving your neck, and you use your PTO, which is going to be far more powerful than any hydraulic setup you fabricate.  Another advantage is maneuverability, if you take your FEL off, it makes a very maneuverable package, since the pivot point is your rear tire, you have the snowblower behind the pivot point, and the front wheels of course in front of the pivot point, as opposed to having the blower WAYYY out in front of your pivot point (the rear wheels). 

Rear pull blowers are typically heavier duty than the standard Puma series as well, more comparable to the Group I or Group II blowers from Pronovost.  Brand new blowers like this are also very expensive, you can get lighter duty models (equivalent to your Puma series) for around 5k, or a heavy duty model, something like a Shoule S92, Provonost P-920, or Normand N-92 which will run you closer to 9k dollars. 
However, although the cost is very high, it's not uncommon to find these used after the snow season is over, for half price of new.   

Hopefully there are some members on here reading this that use inverted blowers in their commercial business and can chime in. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

Quote from: Piston on December 11, 2014, 02:21:22 AM
I believe they are around 3 grand for the kit, but don't quote me on that.  This could be your most cost efficient way to go if you want to use your current blower.
There is a member on here who has a similar setup, I'm trying to think of his name at the moment.   ::)

It's killing me!  I'm too young to have memory loss!  Beenthere, you must know who I'm talking about?  He has a John Deere, with a cab, and a front mounted blower, I'm pretty sure he lives in NH.  His avatar is a pic of his tractor with the blower setup.  Arrrgghhh...  >:(

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

AH HA!!!! 

I got it!  8) 8) 8)

Roger2561  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=18784
Shoot him a PM, I bet he has some helpful info you could use. 

-Matt

Holmes

[/quote]

It's killing me!  I'm too young to have memory loss!  Beenthere, you must know who I'm talking about?  He has a John Deere, with a cab, and a front mounted blower, I'm pretty sure he lives in NH.  His avatar is a pic of his tractor with the blower setup.  Arrrgghhh...  >:(
[/quote]
  Ah yes how quickly the young minds get lost.  ;D :) ;D
Think like a farmer.

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on December 11, 2014, 05:44:23 PM
  Ah yes how quickly the young minds get lost.  ;D :) ;D

:D :D :D  I redeemed myself  :)
-Matt

shinnlinger

Could you power the blower with a diesel Jetta engine or the like?   You have a decent sized tractor so weld a cage to hold the engine and transaxle that is also attached to the blower that goes on your quick connect and run a throttle control cable.   
This way it's real quick to swap out and you can raise the blower higher to work back banks.   A rusted/wrecked donor shouldn't be big $$$
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

If you have acces to another power source, great, but the redneck in me would cut the front clip off a front wheel drive compact. Figure which way I needed it to rotate and which gear ratio was best, it might be reverse,   Lock up the the other half axle and connect the preferred one to the blower,  cv boots and all.  weld brackets to the car subframe as necessary to mount blower and quick connect plate.     Use the windshield reservoir as a fuel tank and drill a hole in the fender to stick the ignition in if I didn't leave the steering wheel.    It might not even need a throttle cable as you could set it to 540ish and let it be.  You could reverse it if needed thru the transaxle.   I'm not even sure if an automatic wouldn't work.   Leave the hood and everything right on it, but that's just me.   
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

A sport bike wouldn't be my first choice to power it but....
http://youtu.be/5NvF5hogp_M
Shinnlinger

Chuck White

Back in the 80's, when I was stationed at Griffiss AFB, NY, there were lots of pickups in the area with snowblowers mounted on them vs snow plows!

They would move lots of snow in little time.

Just had to be careful, visibility issues, had to watch out for pets and kids!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WmFritz

This one is not tractor mounted, but I thought is clever. The power unit is in back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4rZmOkibH6Q
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Roger2561

Quote from: Piston on December 11, 2014, 02:54:31 AM
AH HA!!!! 

I got it!  8) 8) 8)

Roger2561  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=18784
Shoot him a PM, I bet he has some helpful info you could use.

That unit on front of my JD is an Erskine 721 (6 foot), it's powered from the rear PTO.  There's a short PTO shaft from the tractor PTO to a transfer case which rests on the drawbar; there's a shaft that runs the entire length of the underbelly of the tractor to the blower.  The hydraulics are DQ's that the FEL used.  That unit costs in the ballpark of $9,000.00 (about 5 years ago) but I got it used (one storm through it) for $4,000.00.  I hope this helps.  Roger   
Roger

DeerMeadowFarm

I use a rear mount pull forward unit. It's 87" wide. I have a 52 HP Massey Ferguson. I use it in low range 4th gear or 3rd if it's really wet or packed. I paid just under $6K for it in 2012 with the hydraulic chute rotator:

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 10, 2015, 06:22:25 AM
A sport bike wouldn't be my first choice to power it but....

I'd at least put a muffler on it!

Roger2561

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on February 10, 2015, 04:02:09 PM
I use a rear mount pull forward unit. It's 87" wide. I have a 52 HP Massey Ferguson. I use it in low range 4th gear or 3rd if it's really wet or packed. I paid just under $6K for it in 2012 with the hydraulic chute rotator:

DeerMeadowFarm - From what we've heard it has had a work out with all of the snow you've been getting.  How do you like the pull behind unit?  Due to degenerative disk disease in my neck (very uncomfortable/painful when turning to look back at anything on the 3Pth) I love the front mount Erskine unit.  It'll deposit the snow about 35 feet away.  All of this fluffy stuff flies about 50 feet away.  Roger
Roger

Piston

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on February 10, 2015, 04:02:09 PM

I'm also VERY interested to see how it's been working out with all the snow we've been getting.  How much do you find you need to slow down in the heavier storms with deeps snow? 

What is your PTO hp? 

Also, you must have some pictures over the last 16 days of that puppy working! 

I love the idea of the rear pull for the reasons Roger mentioned, not having to kill your neck looking backwards the whole time.  I also like how you can have a compact unit with the option of using the front end loader and snowblower together. 
-Matt

shinnlinger

this is a well done unit.  You could hang it from a truck or an FEL...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b45bt1WXEH4
Shinnlinger

beenthere

Shinn
Does it look to you like it will get the job done? Must weigh a ton and would take a good size truck to support that weight, or a very good size tractor with FEL... as I see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shinnlinger

On a truck, I would be concerned about the weight if I had to travel with it up for long distances.   If it was a yard truck my concerns would be less as the weight would be transferred to the ground most of the time. 

For a tractor, if you removed the bucket, is the weight of the blower and motor more than the lift capacity of the FEL?  Most of the time you would just be pushing the unit, but it would be nice to be able to auger into banks a bit elevated.  Even then, you probably wouldn't have the loader all the way up, so it should be pretty stable.   

As for power, 25-30 hp would be the minimum I would consider for a 6ft blower. 
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!