iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you cut this down?

Started by ReggieT, December 08, 2014, 11:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Found this split white ash on a spot where we use to cut woods yrs ago.
I know there are several scenarios to getting the job done safe.

Here are my thoughts:
1. Backing the truck up and just cutting the end of the horizontal limb or sapling (which is about 10 ft up) and then cut on the other side and let it drop.
2. Hooking my logging chain to the horizontal piece and "pegging her to floor" and snatch it down, buck it, and then fell the split piece still standing!

My experience is more in firewood cutting than felling...so I'm open to any positive feedback.
I just don't know how stable the splintered standing tree is... ??? :o

Thanks,
Reg

beenthere

Chain up to the horizontal piece and pull it with "whatever" you have. I don't favor "pegging to the floor" as that is when things go wrong quickly (and break).
A steady pull will likely break the splintered stub holding the horizontal piece up.
Once that is gone, straight forward felling.

If backing up to that horizontal for easy cutting works, should be good too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ReggieT

Sounds mighty good...appreciate it!

Ianab

If you can back up to it and get a safe cutting position, then putting a couple of saw cuts in the horizontal will make it a heap easier to pull it down.

Judgement call as to how much to cut. Cut shallow, and if it doesn't pull down, go back and cut a little more.

I'd suggest you use a hand winch from a nearby stump or tree. That way you can control the amount of pull, and not break anything.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

First thing is to clear the brush and trash from under foot. Very gingerly make your cuts keeping yourself at right angles to the splintered section and where you expect it to fall. You always want a clear escape route. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 09, 2014, 07:05:35 AM
First thing is to clear the brush and trash from under foot. Very gingerly make your cuts keeping yourself at right angles to the splintered section and where you expect it to fall. You always want a clear escape route. Frank C.

Number one thought that came to my mind when I saw the picture! You need to clear the area around that tree of trash that will trip you up!

petefrom bearswamp

I would vacate the area and let mother nature fell that bugger.
It will come down sooner or later.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LittleJohn

Quote from: Ianab on December 09, 2014, 03:11:41 AM
If you can back up to it and get a safe cutting position, then putting a couple of saw cuts in the horizontal will make it a heap easier to pull it down.

Judgement call as to how much to cut. Cut shallow, and if it doesn't pull down, go back and cut a little more.

I'd suggest you use a hand winch from a nearby stump or tree. That way you can control the amount of pull, and not break anything.

PLUS HAVE SOMEONE ELSE AROUND, in case you need a quick trip to the Hospital, or to retell the story of how you messed up  ;)

pineywoods

Looks like a classic example of a place for somebody to get hurt.. :o
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

chain

Yep, appears to be t-r-o-u-b-l-e in the making. We use to take a backhoe and dig a trench around the base about 4'to 6' deep cutting most all the lateral roots. If time allowed, we would just wait on rains and winds to ease it down safely. We put some very large pecan trees down that way. Back in the early days around here, folks used shovels and ax to trench-root the tree.

farmiman

If you're unsure about the stability of the individual pieces, do they move when you push on them, or bump them? Is that horizontal piece just bark? Or is there some weight there? Can you get a ladder up the main bole to and nick chunks off the hung-up section a little at a time? As stated, clearing the work area a must. Letting it be is a good suggestion too. Is it split all the way through? Can each bifurcation be felled individually? A chain fall or tuggit or a Lewis Winch attached to a stump and the bole is a good suggestion too. Or hook up the skidder winch and pull from a distance. As stated, it looks like an excellent opportunity for a work-related injury. That being said, I like the look of this challenge and would find pleasure and satisfaction in removing the danger successfully and safely. You could throw a line up over the horizontal piece and then pull a choker and mainline over it to pull it away with the skidder from a safe distance. There's all kinds of options. How about multiple well-placed shots with an aught-six to chop that horizontal piece apart...KIDDING! Good luck, be safe and take the challenge seriously.

BradMarks

Is the vertical splintered piece part of the standing tree? If so it appears rotten to the core. Or is it a separate old tree next to it?  The horizontal log seems easy enough, lop it off - both sides.  If the object is to also remove the tall tree, by all means clear an escape route, you may likely need it if it is rotten.

Southside

I would hire @CCC4 to do it.  Clint could probably get that thing to fall opposite the lean and be cut into 16" firewood when it hits the ground, with a video to boot!!   smiley_chop
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

QuoteClint could probably get that thing to fall opposite the lean and be cut into 16" firewood when before it hits the ground, with a video to boot!! 

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CCC4

Quote from: Southside logger on December 09, 2014, 02:29:41 PM
I would hire @CCC4 to do it.  Clint could probably get that thing to fall opposite the lean and be cut into 16" firewood when it hits the ground, with a video to boot!!   smiley_chop

Lol!  :o

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, farmiman.  How about an intro thread and sharing your "wood" interest.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thewoodman

far out guys its only a twig.

1.  Clear that crap off it.
2.  Clear your escape route
3.  shallow scarf in the direction of the lean.
4.  Make your back cut slowly and when it starts to go,  use your escape route in case it barber chairs up
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

CCC4

Quote from: Thewoodman on December 10, 2014, 06:43:17 PM
far out guys its only a twig.

1.  Clear that crap off it.
2.  Clear your escape route
3.  shallow scarf in the direction of the lean.
4.  Make your back cut slowly and when it starts to go,  use your escape route in case it barber chairs up

Hey, the OP said he wasn't a faller...there is no reason to be-little his tree in question.  ::)  From what I can see in the pic, the top mass lean may very well be towards the hull side of the tree...so how do you suggest he face the shell side? Why would you suggest going slow in the back cut? He isn't nipping away trying for a swing cut or anything. Just curious.

Thewoodman

if you go flat stick with the back cut, then you have no or little reaction time if any thing goes pear shaped. If you slowly cut then you can usually see things happen and have time to use your escape route.

Best advice is too never be in a hurry and too take your time. OR just smash it with a front end loader

SwampDonkey

What I do with those type trees that have the other end touching the ground is I start making firewood bolts on the end that's touching ground. And yes, I use stuff down fine (2"). By the time I get to the base, the only thing over my head is that good stem. I don't like dragging stuff that has a bunch of limbs for anchors. I also don't like destroying 10 nice sugar maples up while getting a piece of firewood. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bartman

Too easy, pick the proudest guy in our group with the biggest ego and bet him $20 he can't drop it safely. Problem solved.

ReggieT

**UPDATE**
Upon much closer inspection the "twig" and attached wood were all one tree...at one point in time.
The tree was completely ate up with rot & very rickety...so I proceeded to take ze path of "least resistance and greater safety!" ;)

I swiftly bucked a huge limb which was already down, slung it in the bed of my P/U and hauled ash...literally! :D
Here are the pics...believe it or not "all" of the wood came from that one measly looking log! 8)

Thanks for all the info & advice.

Reg
BTW..."MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL YOU STUDS!" LOL

Thewoodman

its on the ground, no one hurt.... SWEET!!! 8)

beenthere

Thewoodman
QuoteReg said
"I swiftly bucked a huge limb which was already down"

That path of "least resistance" was, I think, to leave the split tree standing and take one laying on the ground (in the last pic I suspect).  ;)
south central Wisconsin

ReggieT

Quote from: beenthere on December 18, 2014, 01:27:56 AM
Thewoodman
QuoteReg said
"I swiftly bucked a huge limb which was already down"

That path of "least resistance" was, I think, to leave the split tree standing and take one laying on the ground (in the last pic I suspect).  ;)
You are correct Beenthere...Thewoodman misread my update and is in error!  :D ::)

Thank You Sponsors!