iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting logs - winch issue

Started by Gideon_70, December 07, 2014, 10:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon_70

Hi Everyone!

Last weekend I was loading some logs with my arch, and my winch broke.  I had a trailer style hand winch on it, and it worked pretty good lifting, even though it was sometimes hard with larger logs.  But it gave up the gears and is now a boat anchor.

I tried to replace it with a come-a-long thinking that it would be faster, but even though it was rated at 8,000 lbs, when I got to a log that was in the 1300 range, trying to lift it was.... herniatingly difficult.  So I went back to a hand cranked winch, and it again, worked pretty good, but scares me a little.

I wanted to upgrade to a stepped down winch with a higher capacity, but the ones I've seen were not really made for dead lifting, but pulling. The largest I could find was about 2500 lbs pulling limit and I think 1200 lifting.  Under capacity = sudden death.  I like breathing. 

I looked at power winches, but they had the same problem, plus I need to have battery power at the job site.

I have a claw on my home log arch but all I do with it is lift and walk the log to the mill.  The bigger arch is attached to my Cub Cadet and I pick up in people's yards and pull to the road.  I lift the log about 3' up, and then back the arch to the trailer and lower the log... so I need to be able to lift.

Any ideas?
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Magicman

I used this one:  Winch  I also still use a block which halves the load on the winch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I like chain hoists for lifting and use one on my tractor arch. Mine lifts high enough to get the logs off the ground and is easier to operate than a come-along. It takes some fabrication to mount it high enough to lift.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

FarmingSawyer

I got a SuperWinch TigerShark 9500 on sale at Home Depot. Very impressed with it. It slow as moles asses but it does the job. But you have to have a block to halve the load or the battery doesn't last very long.  I made mine up so it can fit on the mill, or the truck. When I get a trailer I'll make the receiver hitch work on that too.

The only thing I don't really like about it--apart, perhaps from the weight of the thing--is it only has a remote to control it. If the wire or switch goes it's over. No switch on the winch itself. Other than that it has paid for itself many times over already and I just got the thing in September.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Chuck White

I would think that the winch could be opened up and a switch be hardwired in.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Gideon, most of the affordable winches you can find are designed for towing not dead lifts, and are but toys for real work. Locate a business in your area that operates tow trucks they always have used winches under the bench. I had one given to me, burned out electric motor, I substituted a hydraulic motor. That made an awesome winch with no duty cycle. On that subject cheap electric winches are designed for intermittent use and are easy to overheat with constant use. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Andy White

Guideon70,
Mount for the winch on my arch lets me pull instead of lifting. Just install a pulley and turn the cable vertical. Mine is a Warn 3500# atv winch. It has lifted many loads nearing 3000# with no ill effects. Use of the snatch block will ease the load, but slow down the process, but I get it done.

There are several ways to do this safely!! Be carefull.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Gideon_70

Oh, I LOVE this one!  I think I might be able to modify mine to do that. 

Gideon_70

Hey, I got some great ideas and want to thank everyone!  I'm going to have to modify the arch a little, but I think this will work out great!

Thank You Sponsors!