iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pettibone Super 4 forklift as support equipment?

Started by coppolajc10, December 07, 2014, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coppolajc10

I'm looking at possibly buying this pettibone super 4 cary all forklift, as I'm in need of an all-terrain forklift for use as support equipment around my sawmill.

I think it was made in the 60's, owner wasn't sure of exact year. It has a 4 cylinder continental gas engine, 21' three stage mast, 4 wheel drive, 3 way steering, hydraulic frame levelers. It has a high and low gear that you select manually with a lever, but it is an automatic start with no clutch pedal, just one pedal for forward throttle and one pedal for reverse (and a brake pedal). I had the chance to drive it around his yard today. Started easily, smoked a little at high rpms. Brakes worked but pedal went right to the floor, maybe needs fluid or lines blead. There were at least three leaking hydraulic cylinders, one was a cylinder for tilting mast and the other two were cylinders for steering, but none of them seemed to be leaking badly. The mast cylinder had a small crack at the top that leaked some fluid when we tried picking up a 10-ton steam roller, it was not leaking much but that concerned me. By the way, it could not pick up the steam roller  :D. I think the crack could be welded if it were to get worse, but not 100% sure. The tires held air and had plenty of tread but were old and had many cracks in them. One other issue was that it seemed to lunge forward from a stop in high gear instead of easing forward when depressing on the forward throttle pedal (kind of like when you pop the clutch on a tractor with a clutch pedal, but not as severe of a jolt forward). Overall, it seemed to be well taken care of, but it is an older piece of equipment for sure. Owner is asking $4500, and said he would go as low as $4000 firm. Anyone have experience with these?, and if so are there any common problems I should know of and look for? Is this generally a reliable forklift and easy to maintain? How available are parts, and do parts tend to be pricey? Are parts generic or particular to pettibone? Does the asking price seem reasonable? Sorry for all the questions, any advice and information on this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!  Jake.

Dave Shepard

Wow! I have no advice to offer on that guy. It sure looks like it's all terrain, though.  :D The drive system sounds interesting. Is it hydrostatic or mechanical?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coppolajc10

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 07, 2014, 08:52:14 PM
Is it hydrostatic or mechanical?

The owner said something about a torque converter, that's all I know.

Swatson

That is an interesting looking machine.  I can see some usefulness if it is in good running condition.  Looking at the size of the pump sticking out the back of the machine and the lack of gearshifts (that I can see) surely it is hydrostatic.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

coppolajc10

Quote from: Swatson on December 07, 2014, 09:44:27 PM
the lack of gearshifts (that I can see).

To the right of the operator's seat (third picture) there are two levers.  One is for low or high gear, and I think the other is for two wheel drive to four wheel drive.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Reddog

Sounds like a Allison 2 speed with reverser transmission.

Parts were all off the shelf for the day.

Ron Wenrich

Its been years since I ran a Pettibone.  I think the Super 4 is rated for 4,000 lbs.  I've run the Super 8, 10 and 20.  But, those were more like loaders than a forklift.  I've always found forklifts to be hard for handling logs. 

As for hydraulics, you should be able to get them reworked at a local hydraulic shop.  Lunging might mean that the pump needs work or it might be low in oil.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecol

the  tork it them are from a 60s ford car we had a newer one

shenandoahsawmill

I have a super 6 and it is set up with a framework where the florks can move forward/backward hydraulically so that it is a very controlled motion. The overhead frame design is a precursor to the zoomboom on the modern telehandlers. This is important for loading and adjusting logs on the mill. If you have a  forktruck that has to roll forward or backward and the tranny is suspect it can be iffy as far as good control of the log. I bought my 1972 super six for $2700.00 and have owned it for 15 years. No issues and parts can be found if you look around. I know of four of them in local junkyards if you need anything. I am sure some parts would cross over from the six to the four.

shinnlinger

I bet you could swap in parts from other machines if you needed but I think 4k is a little high for that particular rig as you
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

Are completely on your own when things start going south.   I would say $2500 is where I would comfortable with the description you gave. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ludo

I grew up in the Dunkirk-Fredonia area and by looking at the background land in the pic it looks flat and someplace close to the lake.  I would be willing to wager that the machine spent it's life on a grape farm, if not then perhaps an apple farm?  If so, I would also be willing to bet it was well taken care of and was used only at harvest time.  Knowing the price of a newer machine, I'd be all over that like a hobo on a sandwich!  I just picked up a Pettibone Super 8 in central NY with forks and a log clam shell that holds the log on the forks.  Paid $3500 plus $600 to bring it home 150 miles. It does not look as nearly as nice as that one.  Ask yourself what you get for less than 5k in heavy equipment, not much!

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Ludo on December 08, 2014, 08:33:50 PM
Knowing the price of a newer machine, I'd be all over that like a hobo on a sandwich!
Ask yourself what you get for less than 5k in heavy equipment, not much!

Been looking for an off road forklift for 8 years now and have not found anything close to 5k around here yet that ran.

Petty bones were a work horse built to be used, all be it a little slow and cumbersome.

If the little jurky issue can't be resolved, don't load the mill load a log deck.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

StimW

NAPA carries some parts for Continental engines.
Most cylinders use generic parts and can be repaired by a good hydraulic shop.
I have replaced the cups inside tilt cylinders on a Clark Forklift. I bought the cups and had to mark them and punch out the rod and bolt holes for my lift.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

coppolajc10

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm gonna pass on this one.

Thank You Sponsors!