iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle saw blade weight

Started by dgdrls, December 07, 2014, 08:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Anyone have a weight for a 48" insert tooth 6/7 blade.
Have a "Make me an offer" situation to get one that is "taking up space"
Its listed as possible "art piece" so I wouldn't offer much over scrap value.

Let me know.
Thanks
DGDrls

Ron Wenrich

A piece of 3/16" plate steel that is 48" weighs about 100 lbs, according to a calculator on the net.  I would think that's pretty close.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dgdrls

bandmiller2

DGD, check it over if it will take Simonds bits and shanks and has no cracks or damaged shoulders its worth something to sawyers rather than butcher for "art". Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

The 48" saw I'am running now was destin to be a patio table, go figure, bought it for $25.00 found bits and shanks it still has a usefull life. Frank C.

dgdrls

His first shot was $350 or gun trades welcome,
Eh,  No and No.  Offered to work a deal to trade some lumber,
We'll see where it goes,

Thanks
DGDrls

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

dgdrls

No luck...yet.  we were close to a deal but then he told me his truck didn't run and he couldn't meet me half way
about 1-1/2-2 hrs one way trip.   I was going to package up some Walnut for the trade.  Anyway,
does this tooth and shank combo look wrong?  I think the whole blade is loaded this way.
Not that I figured I could run them but if it gives me leverage all the better.
I did not ask what bits and shanks it has, 

take a look let me know your thoughts,

Thanks
DGDrls

Ron Wenrich

Looks to be one of the numbered types of shanks - 2½ or 3½.  They're geared for softwoods.  They still make that pattern, but I'd make sure that's what they are.  You should be able to see the number on the side of the shank.  Maybe you should see if he has a saw wrench to take those shanks out.

dgdrls

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on December 21, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
Looks to be one of the numbered types of shanks - 2½ or 3½.  They're geared for softwoods.  They still make that pattern, but I'd make sure that's what they are.  You should be able to see the number on the side of the shank.  Maybe you should see if he has a saw wrench to take those shanks out.

Thank you Ron,  should there be a gap between the shank and bit?  just seems incorrect.

DGDrls

Ron Wenrich

I've never run a numbered type of saw.  But, the pictures I've seen tell me that is normal.  Just make sure the stamp on the shanks tell you that the teeth are still manufactured. 

bandmiller2

A fella must be real carefull as the discontinued  Diston pattern looks very much like that. I thought  had a #3 but it turned out to be Diston. I lucked out and found some new old stock bits and shanks that are on the saw now, when their gone the old girl will be a wall hanger. As Ron says clean the shanks they should be stamped. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!